Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you pay your childminder?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

kelle wrote: »
    If every working mother had to pay a childminder e15 per hour to have one of their children minded (never mind each child), then mothers would not return to work and there would be no market for childcare.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    You must be earning a VERY high wage. My job would only leave me with only e20 at the end of the week if I paid that (and I am a professional)

My wage is probably quite good and if I didn't have kids I'd be rich, but paying out childcare and mortgage leaves me with nothing.
    No holidays, no new clothes, twice a year to the hairdresser..... Yes it's expensive, but I'm happy to pay it because the girls are at home and together, and can have friends over etc. We have had to make sacrifices, but we feel it's worth it. They are are most treasured possesions. We can't change the car for a few years, we shop in Lidl, we don't go out that much, but we have an amazing girl who loves our kids and gives them all the attention they need when i'm not there. We pt our first into creche and that was great, but now she's in school and needs to be dropped off and collected and to be honest to have one in creche and the other in afterschool wouldn't be that much cheaper. So it's a fairly tight few years ahead, but it will be worth it. If our finacial situation changes I will rethink it. I have considered giving up work and taking on kids myself. Who knows, I might just do it if the whole work life balance thing gets too much tilted to the work side.

I think everybody does the best they can in their given situation, and some people can't afford not to work. I think expecting all people to be able to afford €15 an hour is very unrealistic. We'd alll love to pay that out, but as has been said it is totally out of most peoples reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

beth-lou wrote: »
    My wage is probably quite good and if I didn't have kids I'd be rich, but paying out childcare and mortgage leaves me with nothing.
    No holidays, no new clothes, twice a year to the hairdresser..... Yes it's expensive, but I'm happy to pay it because the girls are at home and together, and can have friends over etc. We have had to make sacrifices, but we feel it's worth it. They are are most treasured possesions. We can't change the car for a few years, we shop in Lidl, we don't go out that much, but we have an amazing girl who loves our kids and gives them all the attention they need when i'm not there. We pt our first into creche and that was great, but now she's in school and needs to be dropped off and collected and to be honest to have one in creche and the other in afterschool wouldn't be that much cheaper. So it's a fairly tight few years ahead, but it will be worth it. If our finacial situation changes I will rethink it. I have considered giving up work and taking on kids myself. Who knows, I might just do it if the whole work life balance thing gets too much tilted to the work side.

I think everybody does the best they can in their given situation, and some people can't afford not to work. I think expecting all people to be able to afford €15 an hour is very unrealistic. We'd alll love to pay that out, but as has been said it is totally out of most peoples reach.

seriously, you would save a bundle by finding another childminder ... one who isnt quite that expensive, i think if they were to come into your home most childminders would accept 50 - 70euros per day. That would save you a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

too true , well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭miders

GOD what a debate!!!!!!
    im a full time student midwife and my childminder works 25 hours in her home for 100 euro.i provide my daughters meals,nappies and toys.a creche didnt work out and my daughter is happy out. oh and the childminder is qualified and is a mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

150 euro per week for 8-5.30.... That was what the childminder decided on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How did I miss this thread first time round:confused: I'm assuming the people who are saying "hang your head in shame" etc are forgetting that the vast majority of childminders mind more than one child and a lot of parents have more than one child in childcare at any given time. My childminder can have anything up to 7 regulars and others on a now and again basis. She set the rate at 5 euro per hour per child 9 euro per hour for two. At worst she'll have 2 kids before and after school for 5 days and another before and after school for 3 days. That's already 300 just for the before and after school hours.
    She also has 2 babies that she minds for the morning hours on 2-3 days each. Most weeks she will have at least one of mine for at least one morning and sometimes both for 3 or more full days plus another toddler for 1-2 mornings. It all adds up to a very reasonable income, particularly in the summer when the school aged kids are there all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raineydemo

Hi, on a related note, where would I go to start looking for a child minder in the dublin 15 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

raineydemo wrote: »
    Hi, on a related note, where would I go to start looking for a child minder in the dublin 15 area?

rollercoaster.ie is a good place, look in the local childcare ads section and place an ad, you should get a few replies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you call into any of the health clincs in roselawn or mountview one and ask to speak to the health nurse and she will have a list of those who are registered with the hse.

Other then that there are plenty of notices in and around the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Some people would do this while they are on the dole, or the "sick", or while they get carers allowance or all mentioned. So it can add up esp if you have 2 kids at 250 a week, and get another 2 for the same. think about it. 500 per week, plus dole etc. Better off than a lot (most) working parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Childminder here,

Personal recommendation would be useful but it you cannot get recommendations then you could contact your local childcare committee and the childminding advisor should send you out a list of notified and voluntary notified childminders in your area.

Notified childminders are notified to the HSE and are inspected by the Pre-School Officer. They are allowed look after upto 5 children under 6 years old (I think this is will be changing to under 14) including their own children. Childminders looking after 4 or 5 children have a duty to notify the HSE.

Voluntary Notified childminders look after 3 or less children.

Notified and Voluntary notified childminders have to have insurance, occupational first aid.

Notified childminders have to be Garda vetted but there is such a backlog at the moment. I had to wait nearly 10 months to get a place on the vetting information session with Barnados. Then you apply and it's taking nearly 2 months to be processed.

Voluntary notified childminders don't have to be Garda vetted but if they want to then they can apply for it.

To be a member of Childminding Ireland you have to have a medical and have your GP declare you are healthy and mentally suitable to work with children.

The numbers in the regulations refer to how many children a childminder may look after at any one time. She may have a mixture of full and part-timers so could have 9 or 10 children on her books which is ok as long as she/he doesn't go over the numbers specified in the regulations at any one time.

I have had some children Mondays and Tuesdays only and different children Wednesday to Friday or some in the mornings and then different ones afterschool.

There are some childminders that are looking after 3 or less children and aren't notified or voluntary notified, they're not doing anything wrong as they fall outside the regulations.

There are lots of childminders looking after 4 or more children who are obliged to notify the HSE but they haven't notified anyone.

Currently there aren't any regulations for afterschool care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raineydemo

Thanks alot for your help i'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

typically the cost may be based on a daily basis once an agreed drop off and collection time has been agreed. we pay our child minder €40 per day for minding one child. this includes meals.

Hope this helps.

You are absoutely right, in UK it is 50pounds per child a day which includes meals and soft drinks. The pay is 7 pounds an hour for a child if its on part time basis. Hope this helps.

MayMay wrote: »
    I am planning on looking for work as a childminder. I am going to meet a lady tomorrow who is looking for a childminder, full time to look after her 2 boys in their home. Just wondering what the going rate is? I have a couple of years experience in minding children but am not qualified. I've looked around online but can't seem to find much information on an hourly rate etc. Any advice would be appreciated as I know childcare costs are expensive for parents but at the same time I need to survive too so am unsure of what to expect to earn? Should I at the very least expect minimum wage per hour? Thank you.
    therefore what should be looking for pay

My partner is just starting out in childminding and wants to look after a child in the child's own home. She quoted someone €6 per hour cash-in-hand (the parents of the child wanted to pay cash in hand!) as the job included cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. She was told by the parents that this was way too much and wouldn't take her on as they couldn't afford her!

If someone is being paid cash-in-hand, surely €6 per hour would be the minimum amount to get paid especially as it includes doing housework aswell or am i just being naive here?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My partner is just starting out in childminding and wants to look after a child in the child's own home. She quoted someone €6 per hour cash-in-hand (the parents of the child wanted to pay cash in hand!) as the job included cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. She was told by the parents that this was way too much and wouldn't take her on as they couldn't afford her!

If someone is being paid cash-in-hand, surely €6 per hour would be the minimum amount to get paid especially as it includes doing housework aswell or am i just being naive here?!!

€8.65 is the minimum wage and as she'd be an employee of the family as she'd be working in their home then that's what she'd be legally entitled to plus the family are legally obliged to register as employers with the Revenue and would be liable to pay the PRSI etc as well as holiday pay, they would also need to check their household insurance to make sure any employee in their home was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Sounds like they're expecting to pay the going rate for a chilminder, but in their own home. She should have pointed out to them that since it's in their home sh doesn't have the chance to take on other children to boost her earnings, hence the higher cost. They will be unlikely to find anyone to work for what they're hoping to pay (assuming it's considerably less than minimum wage).

Advertisement