Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VS 2005 IDE

Options
  • 06-08-2008 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the VS IDE slow and awkward to work with when developing ASP.NET web apps?

Does anyone have any experience of using third-party RAD products in conjunction with VS to speed up development?, in particular a product called IronSpeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Hey,
    Exactly which Visual Studio .Net IDE are you using?

Some of the variants I've used
    Visual Studio .Net 2003
    Visual Studio .Net 2005
    Visual Studio Express versions,06,07,08 etc?

There have been quite noticeable performance issues depending on what your using.

Visual Web Developer Express 07 (I think its 07, the one previous to this current release of express editions) for example I found much quicker than some of the earlier non-express versions

Visual Web Developer 08 I certainly find acceptable to use, and is easily as good as if not better than other framework equivalents e.g Zend for PHP dev, netbeans for java etc.

Frequent switching between the source and visual representation of the page can affect performance however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Yea, I found VS 2005 sluggish, I use 2008 now, and find it a bit faster, although you'd still want a decent machine for it.

I use Telerik RAD tools, I find them excellent as is their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ob wrote: »
    Yea, I found VS 2005 sluggish, I use 2008 now, and find it a bit faster, although you'd still want a decent machine for it.

I use Telerik RAD tools, I find them excellent as is their support.
    I'm glad that it's not just me then.

I tired Telerik, but I couldn't get them working out of the box after about an hours worth of struggle. I use DevExpress controls now.

By third party, I meant a code-generator, rather than just components.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I used Visual Studio 2005 on a daily basis. One of the projects I work on has a pretty large code base. The solution file references 20 projects, one being a large web application. I use Resharper as a productivity enhancer and it works well. Performance is sluggish here and there but overall pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Needs a lot of ram. We upgraded our ours to 4GB ram and it speeded up VS2005 and SQL2005 a lot. Was painful before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement