Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braid

• 06-08-2008 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

I've been interested in this game since I heard about it a few weeks ago... I've watched youtube clips of it in action (1 | 2 | 3), I've watched 1ups interview with creator Jonathan Blow and I was really looking forward to trying the demo.

I think after reading Eurogamer's Review this morning (
    10/10!!
    ) I know I'll be buying this game tonight.

Looks like a stunning game, and a nice ying to Geometry Wars yang.

Its a great time to have an xbox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Got the best XBLA arcade game at E3. Bit pricy at 1200 points tho aint it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, that and the fact that supposed to take a few hours to finish (but its supposed to be a very enjoyable few hours). Finishing it unlocks a speed run mode too which will extend its life by an hour, but it has zero replay value after that.

If it was a €60 title, people would be up in arms, what about €15? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah, that and the fact that supposed to take a few hours to finish (but its supposed to be a very enjoyable few hours). Finishing it unlocks a speed run mode too which will extend its life by an hour, but it has zero replay value after that.

If it was a €60 title, people would be up in arms, what about €15? :)

Shortness could be a blessing; look at Portal. I think it's a deliberate design decision, so the game doesn't get stale.

Would be interested in this, but hope it will follow Puzzle Quest in the trip from 1200 to 800-land.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sounds interesting alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This looks really interesting! 1200 points is taking the piss a bit though.

I'm still gonna get it probably, that review on Eurogamer sold it to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I fail to see how the price is taking the piss. Putting it in comparison with other forms of entertainment.

A cinema ticket is about 9.50 or so now. That gives you 90minutes to 180 minutes of entertainment. 1200 points is about 12 euro or so. Going from reviews, you'll get 4 or 5 hours of entertainment. It's all relative. I paid for the Penny Arcade game, it lasted me about 5 hours and I really enjoyed it. I don't see it as a waste or too expensive. From the length of time I enjoyed it, it was worth it.

Portal is going to be more expensive than this when it hits the Arcade, mind, and despite the quality of it, you're still going to get people whining.

Don't worry Chrislad, I'm still getting it.

This guy has been working on Braid for 3 years now, and as gamers we have an obligation to support these little indie guys whenever they come up with the goods.

On the other hand, I have Orange Box and have no intention of getting Portal in the Autumn for a handful of extra challenge levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Mr E wrote: »
    This guy has been working on Braid for 3 years now, and as gamers we have an obligation to support these little indie guys whenever they come up with the goods.

On the other hand, I have Orange Box and have no intention of getting Portal in the Autumn for a handful of extra challenge levels.

I'll be picking this up too. Who else bought Lost Winds? Support small developers! :D

I think they're only releasing it for those who didn't get Orange Box. The extra levels should be a free patch or like 200 points or something. Seems a bit mad to sell us the whole game again when we already have it as part of the box!

Went home for lunch and downloaded the demo for a quick game. First of all, it looks and sounds amazing... I played through the tutorial level and found it really easy. A couple of nice headscratchers even in the first few screens (the moving platform puzzle was pretty clever, as was the "Hunt" screen).

The problem is you'll finish the tutorial levels in about 5 minutes flat (they're that straightforward). Thats all you get in the demo.

I went ahead and bought it anyway, and the world after it is a very nice ramp up in difficulty. Nice puzzles around
    items and platforms that are unaffected by the rewind function
    which leads to some great "A haaaa!" moments.

Well worth it guys.... brilliant game, and very tricky in spots - don't be put off by the shortness of the demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

chrislad wrote: »
    I fail to see how the price is taking the piss. Putting it in comparison with other forms of entertainment.

But i'm a tightwad! :)

Like i said it will still have to be got.

Is Penny Arcade good then? I have it but I haven't gone near it since i had a quick blast after buying it! (it was a bit slow and repetitive at the start imo)

• Advertisement

Just finished playing the demo and I was very impressed. I usually hate XBLA games but this one is really innovative. Will defo get it the weekend. Only missed one of the jigsaw pieces in the end but I have a fair idea what to do to get it now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I downloaded the demo earlier, all the praise has me excited to play it now! In fairness, 2D platformers rarely last too long. Of course, someone will come up with an example of one that does now! Would SOTN count?

I'm finding this TOUGH.... its very very tricky, but you get a brilliant sense of achievement when you solve a difficult puzzle. Braid is going to take a while for me to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I downloaded the demo and think it's quite good ... It's amazing how quickly you get used to the rewind function to undo a boo-boo. If you've mistimed a jump, or killed a baddie too early ... 'X' and give it another go. Good stuff.

There's a couple of the jumps that I haven't gotten the hang of yet, though - I must be able to get there somehow ... I have to finish the Jugsaw. :)

Nice to have a classy 2D platform for a change in a world that's gone 3D mad.

I like the little nod to the old Mario games at the end of the demo level - I wonder if it was intentional?
    Lowering the flag when you reach the castle, and having a little fella say 'The princess is in another castle' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I tried the demo last night as I was very impressed also - I'll be buying it at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Curse the red ring of death! This will be my first download when I my xbox back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

1200 those seem steep but in fairness I'm pretty sure I've paid 60 or more on a game a retail that I've gotten less enjoyment from.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Just finished it there. Loved the game. The last level is great, especially the way it plays with your expectations.

How many hours did you get out of it, whitetrash?
    Are you going for the speed run now?

I would say I got about 4 hours or so. Any puzzle I couldn't solve initially really I went past and then got later. Some were easy and some required some pretty outside the box thinking.

I may try a speed run or two, but probably not for a while. I'd probably play through the whole game again when enough time has passed that I've forgotten enough of the solutions :) same thing I did with portal really.

It's highly recommended, at least so long as you don't solely measure a game's quality based on how many hours it takes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Eurogamer's reviewer seems to think it's "art"! High praise indeed.

20080808.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

gotta love the 'arcade.

15 dollars isnt much for a good game. I've spent 60 euros on full games I didnt get 4-5 hours of enjoyment out of!! (Brunswick Bowling... I'm looking at you!)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Well worth the money, don't let it put you off if you're considering it. I've only completed (all pieces) the first two worlds, but can't wait to get back and play more :D
    The style is so lovely too!

Finished it this evening, got all the remaining pieces after that. Tremendous game. Gonna try get the 8 stars tommorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

whitetrash wrote: »
    20080808.jpg

How much was their game again? :rolleyes:

Anyway my Xbox is repaired on its way home so hopefully I'll be diving into Braid early next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Is that 1840's western (as in the films) violins as a soundtrack or is that pretendety irishy plinky plonky music lah de da soundtrack my heads a wreck ah f*ck it. BOUGHT.

P.S **** Microsoft Points - i had to buy 1000 then 500 to get this so cost me 18 euros :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Got it, Love it, Worth it but how in the name of jaysus do you get the piece on the 'Hunt!' puzzle????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Batesy wrote: »
    Got it, Love it, Worth it but how in the name of jaysus do you get the piece on the 'Hunt!' puzzle????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Its all to do
    with jumping from a higher ledge onto one of them lil goomba lookalike things and then you should get enough air to get on the higher ledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Haven't played yet.. but sounds fantastic!

Will give the demo a download now so.

Advertisement