Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Batesy wrote: »
    Got it, Love it, Worth it but how in the name of jaysus do you get the piece on the 'Hunt!' puzzle????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    That one was easy... its the hunt a few levels after Jumpman thats impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That one is a bastard alright, I think the trick is to realise
    you can essentially double-jump if you use the faux-goombas, as they don't die when you're going in one direction, so jump then on the way down jump again to get extra height. You have to do them in a certain order for them not to "respawn"

Finished all pieces now :( Might go back and do the speedruns but I can see that getting pretty frustrating on some of the harder levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Just cleared it last night, lovely game, just about my favourite since psychonauts to be honest. I absolutely love how the story is told, with the books and the jigsaws and the odd level progression. I'm also a big fan of if a game doesn't just spell out the story for you.

For those looking for some extra challenge,
    there are a bunch of stars corresponding to the constellation above the garage in the street, I've managed to get two so far, really ****ing tough to get. On involves rewinding time so that a flashy green goomba bounces on your head twice all the while you're making sure a key is in the right spot for him to grab before he to a certain point on the platform above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Quite the game alright. Got the download and enjoyed so picked up my first batch of points and splashed out. No regrets either. It is a very satisfying puzzler. Some pieces you think you will never be able to get and even trying again and again until finally you twig what needs to be done and get the piece. Makes you feel good about it.

I do love the way just as you think you've seen everything the game has to offer it adapts and blows you away again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I got this last night and am puzzled!

Is there a way to double jump (or even jump higher) apart from jumping on the little brown creatures?

Any advice on how to use the time controls eg what's the point of holding down X and the Right trigger?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Got this last night. What an awesome game it is.

Its basically a platform game in 4D. You can reverse time which is handy if you "die" (you cant really die, as such, in the game... you always can go back as far as you like in time.)

Some things are not affected by time reversal (they glow green) and so when you reverse your time line, their's doesnt. Thats very important to know :) You can use that to align platforms, clouds etc. If you think thats head wrecking just wait till you get to the world where time moves forward as you move right and backwards as you move left!

There are a few points where you think... "you must have to come back to this when you can fly or something" but you can do them all when you encounter them (and no, you dont get to fly or double jump later on :) )

The music is one of the best original scores I've heard in a game too.

Great game, but it will *wreck* your head.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Played the demo and think its magnificent.

Music, visuals, gameplay are all sweet. I have played it in groups because its such a head wreck that its fun for friends to shout advice at each other

DeVore wrote: »
    There are a few points where you think... "you must have to come back to this when you can fly or something" but you can do them all when you encounter them (and no, you dont get to fly or double jump later on :) )
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this (for example, that piece up high after the first jigsaw puzzle). :)

Brilliant game, and definitely one that benefits from a second set of eyes and a second brain while playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So what does it mean when things glow purple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea, there's no double jump. It's sometime quite ingenius how you need to reach some of the pieces. Suffice to say it's all doable when you first reach the piece. I had been thinking at times that I'd come back and get that piece when I acquire a new skill. You don't

• Advertisement

What's the point of fast forwarding time?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

silvine wrote: »
    What's the point of fast forwarding time?
    well.... there are times when you want to stand somewhere for a long time so that when you reverse time you arent really affected by your own recent movement. I felt soooo smart when I worked that out :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

well.... there are times when you want to stand somewhere for a long time so that when you reverse time you arent really affected by your own recent movement. I felt soooo smart when I worked that out :)

DeV.

Me too; in fact, the only other game to make me feel this clever was Portal. I finished it this morning, and it is a BARGAIN for 1,200 points. Everything about it is faultless.

I jumped out of my seat when I got the 60th piece.

Gaming perfection.

The music is one of the best original scores I've heard in a game too.

Not actually an original score, multiple different artists from some website called magntatune. But the music is all listenable online and available to download very cheap. I really did love the music.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=260

I was reading the developers blog and it makes interesting reading.

Braid is now the highest rated XBox Live Arcade game out there (average of 92%)
    He has more than 28.5k sales since it went live.

His walkthrough for Braid made me laugh too (don't worry, it doesn't spoil anything) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

grizzly wrote: »
    So what does it mean when things glow purple?

Bump (cos it's on previous page now)

djkeogh wrote: »
    Yea, there's no double jump. It's sometime quite ingenius how you need to reach some of the pieces. Suffice to say it's all doable when you first reach the piece. I had been thinking at times that I'd come back and get that piece when I acquire a new skill. You don't
    Actually I just played world 1 again there and the last two pieces of the cloud/jigsaw level arent doable for a while because
    you need the other pieces to make the jigsaw for the platform

DeV.

I have finished 4/5 worlds and havent seen anything glow purple. It could mean that your tv's tube is shagged and you are seeing green as purple? (things that glow green are not susceptible to reversal of time).

DeV.

Mr E wrote: »
    I was reading the developers blog and it makes interesting reading.

Braid is now the highest rated XBox Live Arcade game out there (average of 92%)
    He has more than 28.5k sales since it went live.

His walkthrough for Braid made me laugh too (don't worry, it doesn't spoil anything) :)

Awesome walkthrough, really in-depth and covers everything you need to know ;)

Wouldn't have clicked if I hadn't finished the game... Speaking of which, anyone crazy enough to tackle the speed run.... Yowza...

Purple things can be manipulated by your shadow.

• Advertisement

I can't stop thinking about this game.

Don't read unless you've gotten 'Closure', so to speak ;)
    On the Braid level, when Tim is going backwards through time, there is a ladder on one of the platforms that isn't there on the way forwards. A way to reach the princess perhaps, any ideas fellow addicts....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

My Xbox has been fixed since Friday but is still sitting in a warehouse in Germany. The extra months Xbox live subscription Microsoft just gave me does not in anyway make it feel less wrong that I'm not playing Braid :(

On the Braid level, when Tim is going backwards through time, there is a ladder on one of the platforms that isn't there on the way forwards. A way to reach the princess perhaps, any ideas fellow addicts....
    While I didn't spot the ladder you mention, I did (accidentally) manage to get above ground level second time I played through that level...It involved the falling chandelier...

Any tips for getting that piece in world 3? It's the one in the top left corner over the pit of fire, where the canon keeps spitting out three Goombas
    and there's a glowing bridge below. I must be missing a lever or something.

I don’t want to read a walkthrough but could do with a hint..

If its the one I think it is, the platform just moves really slowly. I don't think you need to do anything special...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I cant get that one either. Convinced myself last night, that by bouncing on the goomba that was fired out of the cannon just as he hit the platform and then getting a bit of a jump boost by bouncing on the goomba falling into the pit I could make it... spend about half an hour rewinding and not quite making it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Silvine, a hint
    If you look up you see two platforms moving, one up and one across, one is green so not affected by rewind...

If that doesn't help, here's how it works :)
    If you start the level and don't rewind at all, you'll see the two platforms move above you and the long one moves across, so you can make it to the puzzle piece. The trick is not to do any rewinding at all until that piece has moved over the green one. If you rewind at all, the green piece is not affected by rewind and keeps moving, and then blocks the longer piece in

Great, I'll give it a go later (I didn't read the spoiler!) It's an impressive game, particularly the shadow levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hadn't heard of this game until today. Sounds fantastic, think I might try and download it now after reading the great response here and the insanely positive reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I hadn't heard of this game until today. Sounds fantastic, think I might try and download it now after reading the great response here and the insanely positive reviews.

Do man, its definitely one of the best games of the year.

Advertisement