Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am currently living oversea's and I am considering returning to Ireland. When I plan to return home I will have about 4 years exp (Java, .Dot, oracle, unix and a couple of app servers).

From what I have read on a number of Irish news sites the econmey has fallen apart and number on the dole are at it's highest since the early 90's, granted the large number being from the construction sector.

My question is what is it like for an I.T person looking for work? Is there many jobs available? Anyone changed job in the last 3 months or so?

Sorry Mods if you feel that this should be in the work forum but I think I would get a better response here.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

The key is experience. Java and dotNet seem to be pretty much in demand, if you have the relevant experience there you shouldn't have much trouble picking up a job. If you have the "wrong" experience you'll find it a lot more difficult. Check out the likes of Irishjobs.ie and try and get a feel for the level of demand for your skillset. Good luck!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

Howya Deadfingers,
    yeah, just to back up what dazberry said there, experience is pretty much the be all and end all, it's what most employers will be looking at. On the face of it, your experience looks ok - Java and .Net (I presume that's what you meant when you said ".Dot") are the two that are in most demand. However, I don't know what kind of projects you've worked on, what kind of work you've done, or what other tools you've used (IDEs, build tools, unit test tools, source control, etc), so it's hard to tell.

I haven't looked at the IT market in a few years, so I'm not sure what the state of the jobs market is. However, a mate of mine changed jobs a few months ago, and he had no problem setting up a few interviews and getting a couple of good job offers out of it (Java positions). I don't know if that's a good comparison with your situation as he had a lot more experience than you do. Obviously, where in Ireland you want to work will have a huge bearing on your job search. Pickings can be slim if you want to work outside Dublin.

Best of luck with it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The "recession" doesn't seem to have hit the IT sector yet. I am changing jobs soon, and when I was looking I had recruitment agencies falling over themselves sending me jobs.

As someone else said the key word is experience. It is probably tough for someone just out of college, but if you have 4 or 5 years experience under your belt there seems to be jobs at the moment. Whether that will last I don't know, I would recommend lining up a job here before you come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The economy is falling apart if you work in construction or something which relies on construction.

There has been a small slowdown in the IT sector, but with skills like yours I don't think you're going to have a problem!

What specific roles would you be looking for? I know these guys are hiring: http://www.pocketkingscareers.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I guess my next step will be to update my C.V and see whats jobs are going. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Only started a new job last week as a .net developer. Had no problems getting interviews and had my choice of jobs.

Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've noticed a slight increase in the agencies emailing me, mainly with contract offers. I haven't been looking a couple of years either but it seems healthy enough at the moment. IT moves a bit slower than construction so maybe it just hasn't hit it yet.

Advertisement