Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympics any interest ?

• 06-08-2008 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Saw the following article in the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/football/7529807.stm

You almost forget that the Olympics has a footie comp as well.

I find that article really ironic becuase the creepy Colin Moynahan saying that GB should have a team, this from a guy who wanted to destroy football when he was minister of sport under Maggie , he demonised football supporters totally.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Some really big names playing in it and no doubt there will be some gems unearthed.

You can read my preview of the tournament here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Lol. :)
    Monaco starlet Freddy Adu should add some power, pace and general excitement to the team as he continues to try to meet the high expectations of the Football Manager massive.

Im vey much so looking forward to it. Its annoying that Anderson (and Dong :p) will be missing the start of the Premiership, but in fairness I think its very unfair for a club to stand in the way of a players chances to gain Olympic gold, which is a very prestigous honour imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Big 4 are 5/1 to win thier opening games.

Mike.

I'll watch the football but pharmaceuticals have made the Olympics as a whole a sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

Saw the following article in the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/football/7529807.stm

You almost forget that the Olympics has a footie comp as well.

I find that article really ironic becuase the creepy Colin Moynahan saying that GB should have a team, this from a guy who wanted to destroy football when he was minister of sport under Maggie , he demonised football supporters totally.

Regarding a football GB team, and any implications for national independence of the football sides, who knew this?
    The International Football Association Board (IFAB) is the body that determines the Laws of the Game of association football.

IFAB is made up of representatives from each of the United Kingdom's pioneering football associations — England's Football Association (The FA), the Scottish Football Association (SFA), the Football Association of Wales (FAW) and Northern Ireland's Irish Football Association (IFA) — and Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the international governing body for football. Each UK association has one vote and FIFA has four. IFAB deliberations must be approved by at least six votes. Thus, FIFA's approval is necessary for any IFAB decision, but FIFA alone cannot change the Laws of the Game; they need to be agreed by at least two of the UK members.

The Board meets twice a year, once to decide on possible changes to the rules governing the game of Football and once to deliberate on its internal affairs. The first meeting is called the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and the second is the Annual Business Meeting (ABM). Four weeks before the AGM, the member associations must send their written proposals to the secretary of the host association. FIFA then prints a list of suggestions that are distributed to all other associations for examination. The AGM is held either in February or March and the ABM is held between September and October.

So, Scotland, Wales and NI having footballing independence is actually a really, REALLY big deal, and this also explains why FIFA want one GB team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well Serbia will participate in football tornament on olympics but i dont give us some big chance coz we are playing against Australia,Argentina and Côte d'Ivoire in group....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wont be watching it on Eurosport. Trying to watch the Brazillian women earlier and the token female commentator is the worst I have ever heard. Much better now on the BBC.

The pitch is awful, if they are all like that it won't help a passing game.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Any ideas what times matches will be at over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just after thowing a few quid down on Ivory Coast to win it outright. That'll hopefully make it more interesting.

• Advertisement

10 am and 12.45 pm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If Argentina don't win it, they'll end up becoming the old Spain. Ch ch ch ch ch chokers.

mike65 wrote: »
    10 am and 12.45 pm

Mike.
    Thank you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it'll be Brazils year. Who's covering this? BBC?

Good old red button on BBC afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

eZe^ wrote: »
    If Argentina don't win it, they'll end up becoming the old Spain. Ch ch ch ch ch chokers.

Surely you mean Brazil?

Argentia won the Olympics last time, while it's the one cup Brazil have never won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tauren wrote: »
    Regarding a football GB team, and any implications for national independence of the football sides, who knew this?

So, Scotland, Wales and NI having footballing independence is actually a really, REALLY big deal, and this also explains why FIFA want one GB team...

Did you only know that now?

Why do you think Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland have been agaist a GB team from the start they would lose their postions in FIFA. They have got that power as the 4 founding federations

CHD wrote: »
    Good old red button on BBC afaik.

And online :) or maybe that does not work with the Irish IP's

Should do.Hopefully anyway. RTE could show them online maybe

Surely you mean Brazil?

Argentian won the Olympics last time, while it's the one cup Brazil have never won!

Nope, I mean Argentina. Look at their team;

Coach
    Sergio Batista, 45, Under-23 Coach

Goalkeepers:
    Oscar Ustari (22) (Getafe, Spain)
    Sergio Romero (21) (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Defenders:
    Pablo Zabaleta (23) (Espanyol, Spain)
    Ezequiel Garay (21) (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Federico Fazio (21) (Sevilla, Spain)
    Nicolás Burdisso (24) (Internazionale, Italy)
    Luciano Monzón (21) (Boca Juniors)

Midfielders:
    Fernando Gago (22) (Real Madrid)
    Ever Banega (20) (Valencia, Spain)
    Javier Mascherano (24) (Liverpool, England)
    Juan Román Riquelme (30) (Boca Juniors)
    Angel Di María (20) (Benfica, Portugal)
    José Sosa (23) (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Diego Buonanotte (20) (River Plate)

Forwards:
    Lionel Messi (21) (Barcelona, Spain)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi (23) (Napoli, Italy)
    Lautaro Acosta (20) (Sevilla, Spain)
    Sergio Agüero (20) (Atlético de Madrid, Spain)

Reserves:
    Nicolás Navarro (Napoli, goalkeeper)
    Nicolás Pareja (Anderlecht, Belgium, defender)
    Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht, midfielder)
    Emiliano Insúa (Liverpool, midfielder)

They could make the knock out stages of the world cup with that squad ffs.

Brazil have a pretty good team, but I don't think its as good;

oach:
    Dunga, 44

Goalkeepers:
    Diego (23) (Almeira, Spain)
    Renan (23) (Internacional)

Defenders:
    Alex Silva (23) (Sao Paulo)
    Breno (18) (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Thiago Silva (23) (Fluminese)
    Ilsinho (22) (Shakhtar Donetsk, Ukraine)
    Rafinha (22) (Schalke 04, Germany)
    Marcelo (20) (Real Madrid, Spain)

Midfielders:
    Anderson (20) (Manchester United, England)
    Diego (23) (Werder Bremen, Germany)
    Hernanes (23) (Sao Paulo)
    Lucas (21) (Liverpool, England)
    Ronaldinho (28) (Barcelona, Spain)
    Thiago Neves (23) (Fluminese)

Strikers:
    Alexandre Pato (18) (AC Milan, Italy)
    Jo (21) (Manchester City, England)
    Rafael Sobis (23) (Real Betis, Spain)
    Robinho (24) (Real Madrid, Spain)

Robinho has pulled out also, as far as I'm aware. However, look out for Hernanes, he is IMMENSE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Did you only know that now?

Why do you think Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland have been agaist a GB team from the start they would lose their postions in FIFA. They have got that power as the 4 founding federations

I thought it was cause they wanted their own teams and leagues. I didn't think it was cause as it is they are, with England, the most powerfull football nations in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PHB wrote: »
    I think it'll be Brazils year. Who's covering this? BBC?

BBC, RTÉ and Eurosport although it looks like RTÉ aren't covering the preliminaries on tv or online which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I keep forgetting he's only 21....

Ronaldinho AND Pato gone...Im sure Milan are over the moon with that.

Ronaldinho AND Pato gone...Im sure Milan are over the moon with that.
    Blessed they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Why arent we in this? We currently have our under 23s playing in the International Challenge trophy, a third rate cup tournament so far off the radar it doesnt even have a wiki page, against z teams from the likes of Slovakia and England. Surely if we organised a under 23 team we should have sent them to a real competition.

Nope, I mean Argentina. Look at their team;

Coach
    Sergio Batista, 45, Under-23 Coach

Goalkeepers:
    Oscar Ustari (22) (Getafe, Spain)
    Sergio Romero (21) (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Defenders:
    Pablo Zabaleta (23) (Espanyol, Spain)
    Ezequiel Garay (21) (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Federico Fazio (21) (Sevilla, Spain)
    Nicolás Burdisso (24) (Internazionale, Italy)
    Luciano Monzón (21) (Boca Juniors)

Midfielders:
    Fernando Gago (22) (Real Madrid)
    Ever Banega (20) (Valencia, Spain)
    Javier Mascherano (24) (Liverpool, England)
    Juan Román Riquelme (30) (Boca Juniors)
    Angel Di María (20) (Benfica, Portugal)
    José Sosa (23) (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Diego Buonanotte (20) (River Plate)

Forwards:
    Ezequiel Lavezzi (23) (Napoli, Italy)
    Lautaro Acosta (20) (Sevilla, Spain)
    Sergio Agüero (20) (Atlético de Madrid, Spain)

Reserves:
    Nicolás Navarro (Napoli, goalkeeper)
    Nicolás Pareja (Anderlecht, Belgium, defender)
    Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht, midfielder)
    Emiliano Insúa (Liverpool, midfielder)

They could make the knock out stages of the world cup with that squad ffs.

Brazil have a pretty good team, but I don't think its as good;

oach:
    Dunga, 44

Goalkeepers:
    Diego (23) (Almeira, Spain)
    Renan (23) (Internacional)

Defenders:
    Alex Silva (23) (Sao Paulo)
    Breno (18) (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Thiago Silva (23) (Fluminese)
    Ilsinho (22) (Shakhtar Donetsk, Ukraine)
    Rafinha (22) (Schalke 04, Germany)
    Marcelo (20) (Real Madrid, Spain)

Midfielders:
    Anderson (20) (Manchester United, England)
    Diego (23) (Werder Bremen, Germany)
    Hernanes (23) (Sao Paulo)
    Lucas (21) (Liverpool, England)
    Ronaldinho (28) (Barcelona, Spain)
    Thiago Neves (23) (Fluminese)

Strikers:
    Alexandre Pato (18) (AC Milan, Italy)
    Jo (21) (Manchester City, England)
    Rafael Sobis (23) (Real Betis, Spain)
    Robinho (24) (Real Madrid, Spain)

Robinho has pulled out also, as far as I'm aware. However, look out for Hernanes, he is IMMENSE!

I understand, but how can they be the next Spain?
    Spain were the team who always were hyped, but never won.
    Argentina are the current champions!

Yeah, it would be a shock and they could be called chokers if they fail, but they can't be like the Spain of old, if they just won the tournament.

The reason I mentioned Brazil instead, is that in the olympics they are like that.
    They're always hyped, and yet have never won.
    It's the only trophy they don't have.
    And the Olympics means a hell of a lot more to the South american teams than the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

shane86 wrote: »
    Why arent we in this? We currently have our under 23s playing in the International Challenge trophy, a third rate cup tournament so far off the radar it doesnt even have a wiki page, against z teams from the likes of Slovakia and England. Surely if we organised a under 23 team we should have sent them to a real competition.

We attempted to qualify, but failed. Only 4 European places available so its not easy.

Wonder if theres any chance that Messi will decide to play on anyway?. I suspect that Barca wouldn't sack him.

• Advertisement

We attempted to qualify, but failed. Only 4 European places available so its not easy.

Wonder if theres any chance that Messi will decide to play on anyway?. I suspect that Barca wouldn't sack him.

IIRC there are 53 UEFA nations (of which I presume 49 are eligible to qualify, given their refusal to allow Scotland, England etc). Who was in our group, who was in the squads and when did the qualifiers take place? Cant recall hearing anything about them.

IIRC there are 53 UEFA nations (of which I presume 49 are eligible to qualify, given their refusal to allow Scotland, England etc). Who was in our group, who was in the squads and when did the qualifiers take place? Cant recall hearing anything about them.

It was the last European U21 championships which took place in Holland this time last year (remember the 15-14 penalty shootout between England and Holland).
    Anyways the Top 4 in that competition all qualified for the Olympics (because England qualified for Semis of that competition there was a play off between the 3rd placed teams in each group).

And to qualify for that U21 finals we would obv have had to win a qualifying group which iirc we did badly in.

Thanks.

Which begs the question, had England ended in the top 4 would they have been allowed to field a team?

Thanks.

Which begs the question, had England ended in the top 4 would they have been allowed to field a team?

England did finish Top 4 so there was a play off to decide the extra olympic spot as England couldn't have it.

Heres a link to all the information + qualifying.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship

Ah :) Of course, nevermind.

No wonder the FA are the ones pushing for the GB team more than the rest so.

One easy way to sort it out instead of having Great Britian and Northern Ireland as an olympic squad just have the all seperate.

In some sports its just Ireland like boxing, boxers from Northern Ireland represent Ireland.

• Advertisement

One easy way to sort it out instead of having Great Britian and Northern Ireland as an olympic squad just have them all seperate.

This would be a really bad idea (from a Great Britain pov). Would lead to massive squabbling over funding which currently comes from a central fund but suddenly there would be allegations of bias towards regions etc.
    And in theory their overall medal expectation would go down as well (as they would be weaker in the team events).

I think they are happy as they are and its really only football which causes any problem (and possibly rugby 7s if it becomes an Olympic event in the future).

Not really a debate for this board anyway.

I keep forgetting he's only 21....

Not a bad trophy haul so far for the fella alright. He only turned 21 a month and a half ago too.

Barca are going to let him stay despite winning the case. They don't want to ruin his mentality, seeing as he is over there already.
    I understand, but how can they be the next Spain?
    Spain were the team who always were hyped, but never won.
    Argentina are the current champions!

Because they are overwhelming favourites. They have choked now in the past 2 competitions. In WC06, where they were head and shoulders above everyone else in the talent department. Also, last years Copa America, they steam rolled everyone and lost badly to an average Brazil side. I'm just saying that slowly Argentina look like they could be coming the worlds under achievers. Saying that, I look at their squad and conclude that it's basically unfathomable for them to lose this tournie. :pac:

There are so many big names and hot prospects to be watched: Giovinco, Messi, Marchisio, De Ceglie, Babel, Sno, Pato, Jo, Lucas, Breno, Riquelme, Mascherano, Aguero, Banega, Garay, Montolivo, Rossi, Maduro, Guzman, Drenthe, Kompany, de Mul...

Not a bad trophy haul so far for the fella alright. He only turned 21 a month and a half ago too.

Barca are going to let him stay despite winning the case. They don't want to ruin his mentality, seeing as he is over there already.

Because they are overwhelming favourites. They have choked now in the past 2 competitions. In WC06, where they were head and shoulders above everyone else in the talent department. Also, last years Copa America, they steam rolled everyone and lost badly to an average Brazil side. I'm just saying that slowly Argentina look like they could be coming the worlds under achievers. Saying that, I look at their squad and conclude that it's basically unfathomable for them to lose this tournie. :pac:

There are so many big names and hot prospects to be watched: Giovinco, Messi, Marchisio, De Ceglie, Babel, Sno, Pato, Jo, Lucas, Breno, Riquelme, Mascherano, Aguero, Banega, Garay, Montolivo, Rossi, Maduro, Guzman, Drenthe, Kompany, de Mul...

True.

They're down to 8th in the world too!
    That must be their worst in a while!

I still think they have the most talented national team in the world at the moment. Spain are very close in the skill department too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Looking forward to watching Sno for Holland tomorrow. I think he plays in a more forward role for Holland and scored a few in the qualifiers. Has to be a Sky+ job with these times though.

• Advertisement

I still think they have the most talented national team in the world at the moment. Spain are very close in the skill department too.

And the youth coming through is unbelievable too.

The future really does look bright for them.

Belgium more than holding thier own at the moment, they should be ahead.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice one, the job must have UK IP address for its net access. I can watch the excellent olympic coverage on the BBC site. 4 games on live at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Italy are 2 up in their game.....

http://www.justin.tv/barcelonasc

Belgium 0-0 Brazil
    Japan 0-0 USA
    Austrailia 0-0 Serbia
    Italy 2-0 Honduras S.Giovinco 41 , Rossi 45

At half time folks!

http://www.justin.tv/barcelonaec for Italy game, decent picture.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    http://www.justin.tv/barcelonaec for Italy game, decent picture.

Mike.

You're slowing down mike! see post #45!

3-0 italy
    1-0 usa

Italians could rack up a big number.

Mike.

Meh no teams standing out.

Roll on Argentina

• Advertisement