Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame horse??

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

OK i have a horse on livery for some people and well he is lame.

Background...

Monday i took him out and hacked out. Did dome canter work on too hard ground. Yes i am a retard. His tendons did not swell up. I let him out tuesday only to discover he was lame in trot. I got the farrier yeaterday to shoe him again. (he needed to be shod). He also tested his hoof for heat and soreness. Nothing. He also used a laser to detect temperature and again nothing. He flexed his legs and nothing. Now the horse is much better. He is not that lame any more but is sometimes. WTF could it be? Is it a muscle or joint strain or something more serious?

Comments

Possibly muscle. Give him some time off and see how he is.

I doubt its the same cause however, we have a horse in a similar situation and we can't get to the bottom of it, nor can the vets. We think he may have a hairline fracture on the leg which is lame. Either way, unfortunately, said horse is now retired.

He has long periods of soundness, then goes lame. This has been repeating for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I'm afraid of something like that tbh. But we flexed his legs and he seems ok with pressure applied to his joints. Hopefully it's a twist or something but i'm not so sure. What suggests it's muscle is the fact that he seems to go lame after he moves a bit. Meh i dunno. Horses....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

He could be jarred... I had something similar happen to a pony years ago - no obvious symptoms, no heat, swelling, etc. Vet said he was fine. I bathed his legs with cold water for a few days (it helped that there was a stream suitable in which to stand him) and gave him a week or 10 days' rest and it seemed to do the trick. It's like yourself if you do too much walking on hard ground when you're not used to it - your shins get a bit sore!

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure i would be sore myself if i had some muppet sit on my back and make me run around half the countryside of southern sweden. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

we have one like that now, turned out to be a tiny chip of bone floating in the joint, and cuasing him to go lame sometimes, hes off to troytown for an op soon enough though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Could be a splint forming either?

Is the horse any better after a few days rest?

convert wrote: »
    Could be a splint forming either?

Is the horse any better after a few days rest?

Horse got shod and he's fine again. He got a weeks rest and he has started back slowly agáin and no problems.

Advertisement