Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The EVIL is coming, micro FourThirds announced

• 06-08-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangable Lens.

Looks as if the high end P&S/Bridge market is going to get a shakeup, it seems as if Olympus/Panasonic will be able to make cameras much smaller than the E4xx series with comparable image quailty, the trade off is the loss of the mirror/ optical viewfinder.

Not sure what it means for the future of the current FourThirds range though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Its a bit of a schizophrenic idea, I can't decide whether it'll kill the olympus thing altogether or whether its a stroke of genius (I mean its practically the same NAME but its a -completely- different mount, adapter-compatible with existing 4/3ds lenses but not the other way 'round). I've been waiting for some company to do this though, release a P&S range with interchangeable lenses. Apparently Nikon was thinking along these lines aswell before the shakeup that led to the D700. A P&S with an F-mount. *Sigh* :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gotta hand it to them for the great acronym though. EVIL indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

i have had a camera with electronic viewfinder and i dont like them one bit. you need to be able to see what is actually comming through the lens, not what teh camera thinks is comming through.

this will sell well, but there will always be people who require a mirror.

i dont count cameras with this technology as SLR's. more like point and shoots with interchangable lens's

fguihen wrote: »
    i dont count cameras with this technology as SLR's. more like point and shoots with interchangable lens's

Thats what the acronym stands for :D

"Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens"

Although somehow I doubt it was themselves who came up with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

since micro generally means a millionth, does 'micro four thirds' mean 'four three millionths'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The thing is, people here will say that they don't like not having a viewfinder, but its not aimed at this market. Its a high end P&S.
    I know plenty of people who have P&S camera that never use the viewfinder instead us the "liveview" lcd screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

fguihen wrote: »
    i have had a camera with electronic viewfinder and i dont like them one bit. you need to be able to see what is actually comming through the lens, not what teh camera thinks is comming through.

this will sell well, but there will always be people who require a mirror.

The thing about all these cameras is the budget, if you dont have to put in a mechanical mirror assembly then presumably you can spend the money on a very good EVF. I would imagine that when the first examples are introduced they won't be skimping on the quality.
    Mellor wrote: »
    The thing is, people here will say that they don't like not having a viewfinder, but its not aimed at this market. Its a high end P&S.

I wouldn't be quite sure about that, its going to be light, and small with much better than P&S image quality, I can see it having a future, maybe as a second camera for travel, gigs or even candid street type stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It looks interesting ,it probably won't be as noisey/soft as the original four thirds.
    Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nilhg wrote: »
    I wouldn't be quite sure about that, its going to be light, and small with much better than P&S image quality, I can see it having a future, maybe as a second camera for travel, gigs or even candid street type stuff.
    I agree .. I'm quite looking forward to seeing cameras using this system. I currently carry a small P&S with me when I'm out hiking, and wouldn't dream of taking my D70s with me .. way to heavy and bulky on top of all the other (more essential) gear I carry with me. It is however very limiting, and something like this could offer a very good alternative.

i bring my 400D with 17-70 lens out hiking, although im very aware its in my pack and am super careful i dont find it too much of a hindrance. the most annoying thing is taking it out and putting it back into its waterproof sack.

i must admit though, something smaller would be a lot nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lenco75

I like this idea, I currently use a nikon D200, I'm happy enough with the iq but the viewfinder is tiny, same as on all crop factor dslrs and it's only 95%.
    I would change to a D700 only for the larger vf and easier focussing with mf lenses. but the new nikons have much higher resolution lcds, 3 times the normal- I'd hope for nikon to produce a 'full frame' camera with a 3" hi res screen- no mirror box or pentaprism. the money saved on this would offset the cost of the full frame sensor, Ai linkage so you can use all those old mf beauties. This camera would be perfect for landscape/still life/macro - the kind of stuff about half of us shoot, for the birds,sport and action a dslr is the answer.
    When you think about it reflex technology is outdated anyhow. I'd rather compose shots on a high quality 3 or 4" screen that had a pop up shade than a tiny tunnel like vf. It's much easier to pre visualise with a big image.
    It will be interesting to see how this develops.

lenco75 wrote: »
    I like this idea, I currently use a nikon D200, I'm happy enough with the iq but the viewfinder is tiny, same as on all crop factor dslrs and it's only 95%.
    I would change to a D700 only for the larger vf and easier focussing with mf lenses. but the new nikons have much higher resolution lcds, 3 times the normal- I'd hope for nikon to produce a 'full frame' camera with a 3" hi res screen- no mirror box or pentaprism. the money saved on this would offset the cost of the full frame sensor, Ai linkage so you can use all those old mf beauties. This camera would be perfect for landscape/still life/macro - the kind of stuff about half of us shoot, for the birds,sport and action a dslr is the answer.
    When you think about it reflex technology is outdated anyhow. I'd rather compose shots on a high quality 3 or 4" screen that had a pop up shade than a tiny tunnel like vf. It's much easier to pre visualise with a big image.
    It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I don't know how many would agree with you there. Yu can compose on the screen via live-view. But few use it.

I find the viewfinder far better. For a start if you compose with the VF, you keep it steadier. Which means a better pic. Using live view will also run down the battery quicker. I think that you have much more control over the settings when holding it in the VF position (compared to live view postion)

Sorry, I was refering to it being a main camera. Obviously it would be far better than a P&S for travel and would easily replace the SLR for long trips for handyness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lenco75

I agree that composing with an optical viewfinder is far better, but the optical vf in most digital cameras is pants. The vf in any film slr is far superior to those on cropped dslrs, my comparison would be analogous to a view camera- instead of using the ground glass one would have a hi-res display. For contemplative photography I think this would work. john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

if they can make it with a pancake 50mm 1.8 equiv and a 28mm 2.8 equiv i'd buy it in a heartbeat as a travel camera

do you use your camera enough to warrant owning one just for travel? i only use my camera when out "travelling", hiking and holidays and other such things. if i got a new one just for those events, id almost never use the 400d as they are the only times i use it anyway

And the first camera is announced,the Panasonic Lumix G1.

I haven't time to read all the info, but a quick scan looks promising, DPReview seem to be impressed anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

punchdrunk wrote: »
    if they can make it with a pancake 50mm 1.8 equiv and a 28mm 2.8 equiv i'd buy it in a heartbeat as a travel camera
    Right on. What I really want is a high quality digital akin to a rangefinder. If this did the trick, with lens quality the same as Zeiss rangefinder lenses, and resolution the same as an SLR with a good signal-to-noise ratio, I'd be happy as a pig in shizzle. I'm not sure a 'digital viewfinder' would bother me, I don't like looking through my 400D viewfinder. I suppose I got used to it, but I personally prefer basic P&S viewfinders, separate from the lens, like rangefinders, Lomo LC-As etc.

This Lumix isn't small enough, though. I'll keep an eye on this.

DadaKopf wrote: »
    This Lumix isn't small enough, though. I'll keep an eye on this.

Yeah agreed, Its like a scaled down SLR or big bridge camera or something. I was hoping for something a lot more compact. It actually looks bulkier than my FE-2 for crying out loud :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Some interesting lenses lined up for next year though.

The 20mm f1.7 and the 7-14mm f4.0 being the most intriguing to me.

Can't wait to see the first Olympus body and what lenses they plan for this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

New G1 : 124 mm x 84 mm x 45 mm
    E510 : 136mm x 92mm x 68 mm

ie. not that much smaller......

New G1 : 124 mm x 84 mm x 45 mm
    E510 : 136mm x 92mm x 68 mm

ie. not that much smaller......

My diminuitive FE2 ...
    142width 90mm height and 57mm depth
    And thats a full frame SLR :D

This is the first of many bodies though and Panasonic have stated they designed this camera to look like it's an SLR as that's what their market research indicated folk would want.

What surprises me though is that it's 5 grams heavier than an E-410 with equivalent lens attached!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/olympus-micro-four-thirds-camera-launching-this-summer/

I wonder what the pricing will be like with this. If it's not too pricey (and if the lenses are half decent) I'd be tempted to pick one up when I don't want to take my DSLR out and about with me.

Panasonic announced the GH1 yesterday, if it's half as good as it looks on paper, and the price is not silly, it's going to put the cat among the pigeons in a big way IMHO, there is loads of technical innovation and some really cool new features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

This one looks even nicer... micro four thirds system

Olympus_MFT_concept-1.jpg

ThOnda wrote: »
    This one looks even nicer... micro four thirds system

Yeah, but that's only a mockup as yet, no specs or even reliable timeframe for release.

Yeah, but that's only a mockup as yet, no specs or even reliable timeframe for release.

Same mockup as they had at the initial announcement aswell by the looks of things. If they actually manage to release something this small it'll be tempting. micro 4/3rds -> f-mount adapter and theres a tiny camera to stick all my nikon glass onto :D

Exactly, if they reduce size and make it sooo sexy, it'll kick behind to most of the compact cameras. G10 could become one of the endangered species :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Looks rockin'.

ThOnda wrote: »
    Exactly, if they reduce size and make it sooo sexy, it'll kick behind to most of the compact cameras. G10 could become one of the endangered species :p

The G10 should already be an endangered species as the LX3 is a better smaller camera with a better lens.

Fajitas - almost like older cameras. I like the style. Canonette style ;)

1-28-09-olymft_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

micro 4/3rds -> f-mount adapter and theres a tiny camera to stick all my nikon glass onto biggrin.gif
    ...fcek, I'll need to put a tripod/monopod on my Nikon 135mm lens so !!!!!!

BFB3994AE2224D4A9EE6D62B9959195C-240.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

since micro generally means a millionth, does 'micro four thirds' mean 'four three millionths'?

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

After going to a ovf i dont think i could use a evf no matter how good it is, they just dont seem 'real' to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement