Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NewBie Question

• 06-08-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just moved job and Im living in New Ross. Ive gotten myself a job up in Mayors Walk waterford.Not shure on the parking in the area. Is there such thing as a monthly ticket I could get?? Is the traffic in and out of the place between 9 and 5 insane? Ive been working in Gorey the past 3 years and Im very unfamiliar with Waterford.

All help hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

There is a muti store carpark 2 mins away from Mayors Walk at the end of John's St, Do not know the rates but think a long term ticket could be available , You could also try find a parking spot on Ballybricken (parking tickets needed ) which is also 2 mins away . As for the traffic your best bet is to go throw Ballybricken down by the Glen (forum) on to Bridge St , therefore avoiding the hole Quay which can be insane at times. I am sure your new workmate will show you the route but its pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Aldi car park down the glen has a weekly parking rate, think its about €15 a week, worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You're not going to be able to do anything about traffic, and it's going to get bad again this September, as it always does.

I would say that when 1 September comes, just allow an extra 20 minutes on top of whatever it's taking you now, and then adjust as you get used to it. Maybe some other New Ross commuters can offer better advice.

Personally I think the best way into the city is left lane all the way down the Ferrybank DC, and left lane again across the bridge. That way, you benefit from the green filter light.

Once you're on the Quay, take the second right, which is Thomas St. (The first right is one-way towards the Quay, so a prohibited turn.) At the top of Thomas St, you can turn right and right again onto James St. The entrance to the Aldi car park is there, and it's probably your best option.

In the evening, you shouldn't have too much difficulty - just go straight down James St and then left onto the Quay, and then homeward bound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Thanks a mil for all the help guys.

I am actually moving house aswell I am moving from New Ross out as far as Gowran. My better half has picked up a job in Carlow so Gowran was about half way for us both.

If anybody else is using this route and wants to throw any suggestions my way they would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Thanks a mil for all the help guys.

I am actually moving house aswell I am moving from New Ross out as far as Gowran. My better half has picked up a job in Carlow so Gowran was about half way for us both.

If anybody else is using this route and wants to throw any suggestions my way they would be greatly appreciated.

Gowran is quite a drive, about 45 mins from Waterford (if you don't meet any trucks, which is very likely on this crappy road) I'd allow at least an hour and 45 mins to get to Waterford every morning, might get away with a bit less during the summer. It should be a straight enough run down until you get to granny. (Granny is where the Limerick Road and Kilkenny Road meet about 3 miles outside Waterford City, the railway tracks are there) This is where you'll hit traffic and you will be about 30/40 mins gettin in from there. If you can get there about 8/8.10, traffic won't be too bad, after this it really starts to build up and takes ages, especially when all the people driving their precious darlings to the school gates will be back on the road in sept. :rolleyes: This is if your in at 9 of course, if you've an earlier start you could knock half an hour off that, if later traffic begins to ease a bit after 9.30, but still isn't great. Stay in the left lane coming to the roundabout and going over the bridge, head down the quays and head up the second right as someone above posted, follow those directions to get to Aldi car park. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ouch, coming from Gowran and I thought I was bad coming via Owning, Piltown and Fiddown doing a 48.4 km run in 45-50min even when its busy :)

Gowran is 47km but takes alot longer then the 43min Google Maps says http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Gowran,+Kilkenny,+Ireland&daddr=52.26121,-7.119162&hl=en&geocode=6830506460650510190,52.260110,-7.117100&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=52.261723,-7.116437&sspn=0.007696,0.016565&ie=UTF8&z=16

If you hit Granny around 8am you'll be fine and it won't take too long to get to the bridge, I've found even the schools are not really an issue at this time, however as it gets later you'll be in trouble big time.

As well as this, around 7.50 there's a train each morning which means the railway crossing comes down and makes the traffic even worse so its good if you can get in before this, best thing to do is make the run and just see how you get on you might be just fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Hey all,

Just moved job and Im living in New Ross. Ive gotten myself a job up in Mayors Walk waterford.Not shure on the parking in the area. Is there such thing as a monthly ticket I could get?? Is the traffic in and out of the place between 9 and 5 insane? Ive been working in Gorey the past 3 years and Im very unfamiliar with Waterford.

All help hugely appreciated.

as far as i know if you are working on the mayors walk you can park there for free. just get some sort of sign in your windscreen saying where you work and you should be ok. all the business's there pay rates and in theory are entitled to parking spaces. whether or not you can get one there is another thing. i had a couple of friends working there in the past and thats what they did. hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

With the traffic in Waterford I'd say Kilmacow is about half way for you both! :D

I don't know how long-term your arrangements are, but bear in mind that there's a motorway under construction from Waterford to Dublin and a new bridge just west of Waterford, which is part of the new city bypass.

You'll be able to take the M9 into Waterford from Knocktopher some time next year, and you'll be able to get on it maybe nearer your home the following year. The various bits will join up with the Carlow bypass.

The new Suir bridge (that massive thing sticking up on the left on the way out of the city towards Grannagh) will be open late next year or early 2010, and while it won't benefit you directly, it should improve the traffic situation on the approach to Rice bridge for you.

Advertisement