Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a welder?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

So I need a tiny piece of welding done. Two bars welded to two pairs of brackets, and the two brackets welded to the roof of my car. A cheap set of indestructable roof bars.
    I also need the metal for this, stell I guess?

Anyone know anyone who can do this? I'm thinking fifty sixty bucks, materials included, would this be right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Rynn engineering I'd say down on the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd be suprised if you get all that labour and materials so cheap. If you do let us know where you get it done as its handy to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, he said it'd be a couple of hundred bucks, as it'd take most of the day and they wouldn't know what they were doing. Fecking eejits. Sure, you've never made it before, but it's not that bloody hard!

I need someone that owns a welder but doesn't do it much, maybe like a small forge, I think there's one in Kilcolgan.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Aye, he said it'd be a couple of hundred bucks, as it'd take most of the day and they wouldn't know what they were doing. Fecking eejits. Sure, you've never made it before, but it's not that bloody hard!

Was that with Rynn? Sounds like they just didn't want the work tbh. :p

I know a welder but he's all the way up in Mayo.

It was yeah. that's what he said too, he said the hardest thing would be finding the time, as they're mad busy. I thought that they'd be more industry geared rather than retail, but I said I'd ask anyway.
    There's Madden's Forge in Kilcolgan, I might give them a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It won't be easy to weld the bracket onto the roof - thick metal to thin metal. If he is using a MIG Welder he has to disconnect the car battery. There is a place up near the Royal Rock that might do it. I think thet are Larkins???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wh not just buy a roof-rack?

That's a total pig of a job tbh and would look messy. I presume you just want regular steel pipes at that price? Again, t'would look total CACK on top of a car. Even if you were gonna be crazy enough to do that, you'd want 316 polished stainless - you're not gonna get much of it for 60euro

You just missed out http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65797&cat=32

Keep your eyes peeled for bargains though. Maybe try ebay too.

Out of interest what kind of car do you have?

I got the idea from a friend of mine who had an old crock of a vectra with square bars welded to the roof, they outlasted the car.
    I'm having a bitch of a time finding bars that'll fit my car, it's a '95 Cherokee. THe cúnts out in Cunningham motors didn't want to know about it, saying that they didn't stock parts for older models and wouldn't order them in from America.
    I tried getting after market ones from Calbro too. When I was ordering, I saw a picture of them and told yer man that if they were like the ones pictured, they wouldn't attach to my car's rails, but he said they would, as they were universal.
    THey arrived, I went to pick up, they were identical to the ones pictured, and wouldn't attach.
    I emailed Thule telling them I didn't want a rack that'd attach to my rails, but rather on to the gutters. They told me what parts to order. Mick's Garage couldn't order the parts I needed, and I'm waiting to hear from both Williams and Halfords to see if they'll order the parts.

The existing stock rack that came with the jeep is loose and I've no way of tightening it to hold four kayaks.

So that's why I want to weld bars on.

You just missed out http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65797&cat=32

Keep your eyes peeled for bargains though. Maybe try ebay too.

Out of interest what kind of car do you have?

Hah, it doesn't say what type of car it'd attach to. Also Paddy Hopkirk always struck me as being a bit flimsy. Yakima or Thule are what I'd want, I'd be taking up to 100KG on the roof.

I'll check out ebay though, don't know why it never occured to me. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I bought a set of removable Monte Blanc roof-bars from this site a few months ago, about €100 delivered: http://www.cooksmotor.co.uk/

I can fit them in about 2 minutes and you're better off removing them anyway when not in use, roof bars can add maybe 10% to fuel costs, which is not to be recommended nowadays.

And of course you can always sell them on at a later date ;).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

wet-paint wrote: »
    There's Madden's Forge in Kilcolgan, I might give them a bell.
    Worth calling them for the "Men of Steel" across the front of the van alone.

Advertisement