Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I closed my visa account last june and heard nothing from my bank. No statements, nothing 8 months.

Presumed it was closed.

went back to my old address, which I moved out of in October to find 4 visa bills for april, may, june and july.

the april bill had government stamp duty on it.

may had late payment fee of €7

june late payment of €7 and interest on purchases of 0.06

july, just interest of 0.09 cent.

Can I be charged late payment fees and interest on government stamp duty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think so, as even though you closed the account, you are still elligible to pay the government duty for the year just gone. Also, it is the credit card holders responsibility to tell the credit card company of your new address. Try giving them a ring to let them know that you had moved after you had closed the account, and see if there is any way they will compromise the late fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

I have no problem with the government stamp duty charge.

Butignoring whether the acoutn was closed, and change of address, can they charge interest on that charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Ok, it wasn't clear from your first post whether you had actually given them a new address or not. It could be a hard one to prove though, unless you remember the name of the person you spoke to or something. I would say definitely challenge them on it though, as you have nothing to loose. Was there no one in the old address to forward mail to you? As they may try and challenge that aspect from their perspective. Best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I would pay the stamp duty and tell them of the mess up with the address and ask for the charges to be waived.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've seen this happen to customers before and in the majority of cases they'll just refund the late fees. You will have to pay the government stamp duty though, cos that's outside the credit card company's control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Well there's nothing illegal about it "per se". But something unethical about it. Why o Why would said credit card not pick up the phone? Are they that dumb? :rolleyes:

This is what you shall do (as Toots and Unclebill have said) -

1. Ask for all charges to be refunded and confirmation that it hasn't affected your credit rating. If so get them to put it right.
    2. Pay the Gov duty (Mind you if it was me I'd be looking for that to be refunded considering that you were under the impression that everything was straightened out last June).

If you have no luck with the above take it to the Ombudsman.

Then leave it at that and forget about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

How did you close the account? Did you do it over the phone or in writing. A lot of customers mix up paying their balance off and closing the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How come there was no bills from Oct to March??

Advertisement