Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed light on what the legal requirement's are to legally use a moderator.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You need permission from your Super to use one.

May need to be renewed every year like you license. No cost, usually just a letter from them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And when the restricted list SI comes in (it has not as of yet), centerfire moderators will require that letter of permission to come from the Commissioner's office, not your local Supers (rimfire moderators will continue to need the permission of the local Superintendent).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

My moderator permission is valid until 31 July of this year. I have paid for new licence, which hasn't arrived yet.

Will the moderator be included on the new licence or will I have to re-apply in writing again for a seperate permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

dresden8 wrote: »
    My moderator permission is valid until 31 July of this year. I have paid for new licence, which hasn't arrived yet.

Will the moderator be included on the new licence or will I have to re-apply in writing again for a seperate permission?

you should of handed in a copy of the note from your supper,with your money n renewals its a load of crap realy to have to get a permit note for some thing with no serial number on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My letter of permission from my moderator is up. I'll bet anything they
    forget to issue me with a new one when I eventually manage to track down
    my FO to re-new my Licences.

My Super asked for specific details of the moderator when I went
    looking for a letter of permission originally

So my letter states the Brand (SAK), the Length/Diameter and the thread type.
    Absolutly Stupid as Legally I cant change my Moderator to a different brand
    without going through the hassle of trying to Contact both FO/Super waiting
    weeks just to get a new letter.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

bullets wrote: »
    My letter of permission from my moderator is up. I'll bet anything they
    forget to issue me with a new one when I eventually manage to track down
    my FO to re-new my Licences.

My Super asked for specific details of the moderator when I went
    looking for a letter of permission originally

So my letter states the Brand (SAK), the Length/Diameter and the thread type.
    Absolutly Stupid as Legally I cant change my Moderator to a different brand
    without going through the hassle of trying to Contact both FO/Super waiting
    weeks just to get a new letter.

~B
    its bull**** i have three mods a jet z a t8 old and a t8 new model ,the cops would not know a jet z from a egg mc muffen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bullets wrote: »
    Absolutly Stupid as Legally I cant change my Moderator to a different brand without going through the hassle of trying to Contact both FO/Super waiting weeks just to get a new letter.
    Well. It's not really stupid, so much as it is as close to correct as the system allows it to be.

According to how the law's written, you should be applying for a cert for your moderator the same as you do for your rifle. The act says that except for where the context requires it, a component part (and a moderator is specifically listed as one) is to be treated as a firearm - and that means a cert under section 2(1). But for operational reasons (cynically, you could say "because noone ever did up a form for it"), a letter currently suffices. But if there were a cert, as the Act seems to assume there will be, it'd be specific to that make, model and serial number of moderator and you'd have to renew it annually and couldn't change it at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Just an observation - with all the moving of posts around, shouldnt this one be in the general Shooting forum ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bigred wrote: »
    Just an observation - with all the moving of posts around, shouldnt this one be in the general Shooting forum ? :rolleyes:
    Good idea, done. :)

Advertisement