Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty engagement ring

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought my GF an engagement ring last decemeber in Ernest and Jones in Blanch. She has hardly worn it due to being pregnant and not wearing it when baby was born in case she scratched him.
    She brought the ring back to get cleaned or re-dipped or something as it was starting to look dull. She got a phone call the next day to say that there was a claw loose and that the total to redip and fix the claw would be 111 euro?
    She was told that if she could find the receipt she would be covered.
    After searching for a couple of days we found the receipt. She was then told (by the people who fixed it) that the receipt would not cover the damage and that she would have had to take out a 2 year warranty?
    After a phone calls to consumer affairs who pointed out that the ring HAS to be fixed at no cost and then phone calls back to the store they finally agreed to waive the cost of repair on recommendation from head office. My GF is 6 months pregnant and was shouted at and abused on the phone aswell as in the shop. My worry is what if the ring is faulty and goes again after a month or 2, have we got any come back?
    Sorry this was so long but needed to share it with someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xfiler

Have a look at the URL: http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Guides_To_Consumer_Law/Shopping/

Basically you should get a guarantee from the shop after they have fixed the ring.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Below I have printed a snippet:

Whenever you buy goods from a shop or supermarket, you make a contract with them. They agree to provide certain goods to you for a certain price, and the goods should be:
    • Of "merchantable quality" - that means that they must be of an acceptable standard
    • Fit for the purpose they were bought for
    • As described. In other words, false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
    If the goods fail to comply with any of these criteria - for example, they turn out to be faulty - you have certain clear rights under consumer legislation. These entitlements come under the three R's:
    • Repair
    • Replacement
    • Refund
    If the shop offers to repair the item, the repair should be permanent. If they offer a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or (where appropriate) they can refund your credit card account. If they offer you a credit note or voucher instead, it is your right not to take it and request a refund instead.
    If you are not happy with their offer you have the right to request an alternative remedy, and to take legal action if you are not happy with their final offer. You have the option to refer the matter to the Small Claims Court, which can handle a claim of up to €2,000 by a consumer against a shop. The application fee for Small Claims is €15.
    Remember that:
    • You have no rights under consumer law if you simply change your mind about wanting the goods. However, some shops will offer you an exchange as a gesture of goodwill
    • You should return faulty goods to the shop as soon as possible. If you wait for a long period it may appear that you have accepted the products, faults and all
    • The shop is entitled to proof of purchase, but this doesn't necessarily have to be the shop receipt. You could show the relevant credit card statement or any other documentation that proves it was purchased in that particular shop or retail chain

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just a note: Platinum or other white metal jewellery is usually rhodium plated (probably the dipping you refer to) Rhodium plating will always eventually wear, and will require replating if you want the jewellery good as new. I found most people who buy jewellery especially rings, dont realise this. Claw set jewellery often snags on threads etc, the claws lift, and you can lose stones that way. It's not so much that the ring is flawed, but such things happen in wear and tear.

So that might be the standpoint of the shop.

Without seeing the ring, its hard to know if in your case it would appear as wear and tear, or even abuse, to the shop. Im not saying you did abuse it, but how it might appear to them, and why they might be getting stroppy. Personally I dont think theres ever any need for that attitude, but I know it happens.

I think with jewellery moreso than say, electronic goods, its much harder to tell the difference between faulty and given excess wear, but given the age of the ring I would imagine right is on your side in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Just got an update, my GF went to the shop to get the ring back.
    She said they could not be nicer.
    They gave her a warrabty for a year fir the diamonds and a not to say that the ring can be cleaned (free of charge) for 2 years , up to 6 times a year.
    Unbelievable.
    Why couldnt they just do that in the first place.
    Thanks again for the replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

when I bought my missuses engagement ring in that particular shop funnily enough they gave me a 10 year gaurentee with the ring and free cleaning / repairs for that 10 years.

that was only a couple of months ago so i find this attitude from them very strange especially as they were as nice as anything to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

my ma had her engagement ring for over 40 years without ever needing to have it cleaned dipped or coated in anything and only needed repair once after about 25 years when a claw broke on one of the diamonds and it cost about £8 to repair and they also cleaned it free! is modern jewelery gone like everything else, almost disposable?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

They were really nice when we were buying the ring.
    I think it was just the manager on the day was being smart and was really nasty to my GF. The girl the other day was lovely, couldnt have been nicer and apologised etc. I am going to send a letter or email to them anyway to express my disappointment.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

sham69 wrote: »
    My GF is 6 months pregnant and was shouted at and abused on the phone aswell as in the shop.

Just because your girlfriend is pregnant doesn't mean its any worse the way she was treated, nobody should be spoken to like this in any business.

Advertisement