Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning right at roundabouts

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Is there a correct way to turn right on a roundabout? This morning as I entered a roundabout behind a car I was in right lane, and they were in left.
    As they entered the roundabout in the left they put on their right indicators, I was in right lane and indicating right too.
    I was always taught that when turning right you drive in the right/inner lane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You are right, they are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1st exit (usually left turn) at roundabout = left lane and indicate left
    2nd exit (usually straight on) left lane, indicate left after you pass the first exit.
    3rd or greater exits (usualy right turn) = indicate right, get in right lane and then indicate left after you pass the second exit.

Basic rules of the road that everyone should but don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If it's a "standard" roundabout then they're in the wrong. However there are lots of non standard layouts out there. Some have the 2nd exit where the 3rd one would normally be, 3 lane rounabouts, road markings which overrule the normal rules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If it's a "standard" roundabout then they're in the wrong. However there are lots of non standard layouts out there. Some have the 2nd exit where the 3rd one would normally be, 3 lane rounabouts, road markings which overrule the normal rules etc.

But don't think it would ever be the left lane to turn right?! some cases it's the right lane to go straight through, but think that is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Some drivers who are going straight on indicate right when entering the roundabout, then indicate left for their exit.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

gpf101 wrote: »
    2nd exit (usually straight on) left lane, indicate left after you pass the first exit.
    3rd or greater exits (usualy right turn) = indicate right, get in right lane and then indicate left after you pass the second exit.

Cheers, I knew I was right, but just wanted to see if anyone agreed as it seems be a fairly common practice here in Ireland to turn right using the left lane.
    The person in the car in which it occurred looked fairly young and may have been a learner, but had no L plate on the car and no passenger too.
    That is not to say all learners do it though.
    It's a dangerous manoeuvre in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I don't understand how people still don't get the roundabout thing.

You are right and they are wrong, I grew up very close to a roundabout where about 40% of drivers in the left lane where turning right which was not allowed at this roundabout. Left lane straight only, right lane straight and right. I had so many near misses only because I was aware of bad drivers but I saw quite a few accidents there!

They still do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

gpf101 wrote: »

You don't know them either so. If the 2nd exit (or any exit for that matter) is past 12 o'clock then you should be in the right hand lane with your right indicator on.

For any turn before or at 12 o'clock you should be in the left lane.

In all cases just after the turn off before yours put on your left indicator.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

But don't think it would ever be the left lane to turn right?! some cases it's the right lane to go straight through, but think that is all...
    If it was a two lane entry and exit and the 2nd exit was past 12 clock then road markings may allow you to "turn right" from the left lane. I'm pretty sure I've seen this layout somewhere.

Even in the absence of road markings if you take a 2nd exit which is past 12 o clock from the left lane you may be in the right. See Alun's post re: the "12 o'clock rule".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bman wrote: »
    You don't know them either so. If the 2nd exit (or any exit for that matter) is past 12 o'clock then you should be in the right hand lane with your right indicator on.

Simple.
    There is no mention of this oft-quoted "12 o'clock rule" anywhere in the section on roundabout usage in the Rules of the Road.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If it was a two lane entry and exit and the 2nd exit was past 12 clock then road markings may allow you to "turn right" from the left lane. I'm pretty sure I've seen this layout somewhere.

Even in the absence of road markings if you take a 2nd exit which is past 12 o clock from the left lane you may be in the right. See Alun's post re: the "12 o'clock rule".

Yeah I saw the other post mentioning that alright ... it's not in my understanding of roundabouts ... and have certainly never seen it.

EDIT: but Aluns post seems to contradict your theory?

Any examples of this type of scenario anyone?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I don't understand how people still don't get the roundabout thing.

You are right and they are wrong, I grew up very close to a roundabout where about 40% of drivers in the left lane where turning right which was not allowed at this roundabout. Left lane straight only, right lane straight and right. I had so many near misses only because I was aware of bad drivers but I saw quite a few accidents there!

They still do it!

This is the thing that annoys me more than anything on the road! Nothing worst than going straight through (2 lanes) a roundabout and the idiot on your left drive right across you. Seriously dangerous, and happens so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Quint wrote: »
    This is the thing that annoys me more than anything on the road! Nothing worst than going straight through (2 lanes) a roundabout and the idiot on your left drive right across you. Seriously dangerous, and happens so often.
    In the vast majority of scenarios, you should be in the left lane to go straight ahead!

Not your ornery onager

Alun wrote: »
    There is no mention of this oft-quoted "12 o'clock rule" anywhere in the section on roundabout usage in the Rules of the Road.
    Yeah I saw the other post mentioning that alright ... it's not in my understanding of roundabouts ... and have certainly never seen it.

EDIT: but Aluns post seems to contradict your theory?

Any examples of this type of scenario anyone?!

Extracts from rules of the road.

Straight ahead = 12 o'clock
    Taking any later exits = after 12 o'clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

esel wrote: »
    In the vast majority of scenarios, you should be in the left lane to go straight ahead!

That depends, on a dual carriageway, you can use both lanes unless there are markings on road.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of examples of otherwise normal 4 junction roundabouts where 'straight ahead' is actually some considerable way to the left or right of 12 o'clock. That's the problem with oversimplifications, there's always the exception that disproves the rule.

My own take on this is that, as they usually do in the UK, any roundabout that deviates from the normal 4 exit 'ideal' layout and that has more than one lane at the entrance should have lane markings indicating the correct lane usage. They do that here also sometimes, but seem to be able to even get something that simple glaringly wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Roundabouts are strange places - there are no actual rules governing their use except that you must turn left when entering.
    General rules of the road apply of course and these must be applied depending on the situation and road markings / signs at any particular roundabout.

In the example (assuming a straightforward 4-way roundabout with exits at (1) 9 o'clock, (2)12 o'clock and (3) 3 o'clock and two marked lanes on the roundabout itself)
    Car A: enters in the left lane and intends to take exit 3
    Car B: enters in the right lane and intends to take exit 2.

By the time they reach exit 2, they need to cross paths.
    If you apply rules regarding lane changes then car B must yield to car A and not take his exit.
    If you apply "yield to traffic on your right" than car A must yield and let car B take his exit.
    Which is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did you even read the last line of the link you posted????

Thats the general rule, and applys to most roundabouts. But there are exceptions, where volume of traffic on certain routes (straight through - right etc) is much heavier and therefore road markings contravene the general rule.
    Nobody is disagree with what the general case is, just pointing out that there are exceptions, the fact that you are arguing this really calls into question your expierence on the road (can you honestl say you never seen road markings that coontravene the general rule), or you jsut want to argue for the fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You can be in either lane if it's a 2 lane road. And I don't think there's any reason to be in the left lane if you're going right around.

I realise what is meant by 12 o'clock... thanks.

But the extract that you have taken doesn't mention anything about taking the right lane (in normal lane setup) if the 2nd exit is past '12 o'clock'.

Or am I missing something in your link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Cheers, I knew I was right, but just wanted to see if anyone agreed as it seems be a fairly common practice here in Ireland to turn right using the left lane.
    Common practice on Irish roundabouts seems to be to drive where you like and hope for the best.
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    The person in the car in which it occurred looked fairly young and may have been a learner, but had no L plate on the car and no passenger too.
    That is not to say all learners do it though.
    In my experience, learner drivers are actually more likely to use roundabouts correctly. The number of more experienced drivers who either don't know how or don't bother to use them correctly is frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is my biggest pet hate......why cant people learn how to use roundabouts properly?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Simple.

:rolleyes:
    I was giving the general rule of using a typical roundabout. Exceptions to everything but the standard Irish roundabout setup is a 4 exit system where straight on is the second exit. The most common annoyance is people exiting after the 2nd exit yet staying in the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Some drivers who are going straight on indicate right when entering the roundabout, then indicate left for their exit.

Nobody believes me when I say this, but I remember reading my mother's Rules of the Road when I was little, and the procedure for a straight-on manoeuvre was to be in the left lane, however indicate right, until you'd passed the first exit, at which point you would indicate left. I see drivers doing this, and they're mainly older people.

I think that was changed in subsequent versions, but I remember learning to drive over in England and I told my instructor that this was the advice when driving in Ireland. His reaction was half disbelief, half "that's nuts - indicating right when going straight on".

However as I recall, the logic was that you would be indicating right if staying on the roundabout, and left when about to exit. Technically, between entry and passing the first exit, you are sort of going around to the right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

Simple.

12 o'clock??? where did you buy your license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tytlak

In my experience, learner drivers are actually more likely to use roundabouts correctly. The number of more experienced drivers who either don't know how or don't bother to use them correctly is frightening.[/quote]

actually you are very right!! the worst ones seems to be without L stickers who drives a lot like van or taxi drivers. The more you drive, the less likely you are going to use indicators on the roundabouts. When I started to drive in Ireland I was stunned by the fact that lots of drivers do not use indicators on the roundabouts. But what to expect if even garda does not follow these rules!!! drove a few times behind a garda car....an even not a single one turned indicators on the roundabout

I wonder where does this habit come from?

Alun wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There are plenty of examples of otherwise normal 4 junction roundabouts where 'straight ahead' is actually some considerable way to the left or right of 12 o'clock. That's the problem with oversimplifications, there's always the exception that disproves the rule.

My own take on this is that, as they usually do in the UK, any roundabout that deviates from the normal 4 exit 'ideal' layout and that has more than one lane at the entrance should have lane markings indicating the correct lane usage. They do that here also sometimes, but seem to be able to even get something that simple glaringly wrong.

When coming to a roundabout 12 o'clock is straight ahead. Anything else is not.

I agree that markings should be there for roundabouts that deviate from the normal 4 exit layout but it isn't always feasible (worth spending the money). Where there are no markings the rules clearly state what lane you should be in.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Did you even read the last line of the link you posted????

Thats the general rule, and applys to most roundabouts. But there are exceptions, where volume of traffic on certain routes (straight through - right etc) is much heavier and therefore road markings contravene the general rule.
    Nobody is disagree with what the general case is, just pointing out that there are exceptions, the fact that you are arguing this really calls into question your expierence on the road (can you honestl say you never seen road markings that coontravene the general rule), or you jsut want to argue for the fun of it.

I was just assuming that everyone understands that if there's road markings then you follow them. I'm not trying to suggest you ignore road markings. The diagrams I posted show you what to do when there are no road markings.
    I realise what is meant by 12 o'clock... thanks.

But the extract that you have taken doesn't mention anything about taking the right lane (in normal lane setup) if the 2nd exit is past '12 o'clock'.

Or am I missing something in your link?

Look again. It never mentions a "2nd exit". It only mentions straight ahead.
    jtbub15 wrote: »
    12 o'clock??? where did you buy your license?

What is it that you find hard to understand about "12 o'clock???"? You enter the roundabout at 6 o'clock. If going straight ahead you are exiting at 12 o'clock. Hope that's easy enough for you to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

ok smart arse.... what my point was that the "12 oclock" thing is not in driving tests.

ok smart arse.... what my point was that the "12 oclock" thing is not in driving tests.

You were the one to start with the smart arse stuff:
    where did you buy your license?

Doesn't have to be in the driving test. It's the easiest way to describe roundabouts in my mind. My point is still valid regardless of how you describe it.

• Advertisement

When coming to a roundabout 12 o'clock is straight ahead. Anything else is not.
    Right, so you're saying that if you were coming up to a roundabout where the 'straight ahead' exit was at, say, 190 degrees to the entrance, you'd indicate to go right, would you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement