Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning right at roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

Alun wrote: »
    Right, so you're saying that if you were coming up to a roundabout where the 'straight ahead' exit was at, say, 190 degrees to the entrance, you'd indicate to go right, would you?

Arent you suppose to indicate right onto the roundabout anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bman wrote: »

Look again. It never mentions a "2nd exit". It only mentions straight ahead.

However, it never mentions '12 o'clock'.

It says under the heading of 'going straight'
    Stay in the left-hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit. Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken red line.

The other course is where Gardai or markings dictate.

Where does 12 o'clock come in to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

There's a very good reason why, in your driving test, the instructor refers to roundabout turn offs as '1st, 2nd, 3rd... exit'. This is so we don't get this 12 o clock shenanigans that may confuse people.

However there are some roundabouts that, when you exit them, turn off into 2 lanes. These are the roundabouts that tend to confuse idiots.

For example, the roundabout at Liffey Valley shopping centre (near the trailer park boys, that leads to the N4). You start off in 2 lanes as you join the roundabout, yet if you take the 3rd exit, it exits into 3 lanes. This is where you get the idiots that coast across multiple lanes disregarding other drives. The same people who probably joined the roundabout from the wrong lane also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rules of the road

http://www.rsa.ie/Home/upload/File/ROTR_2007.pdf

pages 107 - 111

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

tytlak wrote: »
    actually you are very right!! the worst ones seems to be without L stickers who drives a lot like van or taxi drivers. The more you drive, the less likely you are going to use indicators on the roundabouts. When I started to drive in Ireland I was stunned by the fact that lots of drivers do not use indicators on the roundabouts. But what to expect if even garda does not follow these rules!!! drove a few times behind a garda car....an even not a single one turned indicators on the roundabout

I wonder where does this habit come from?
    With regard to people not indicating when leaving roundabouts, I think it's just laziness. Because people don't need to do it to avoid an accident, they don't bother. They just don't consider other people who are trying to enter the roundabout from subsequent entry points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

However, it never mentions '12 o'clock'.

It says under the heading of 'going straight'

The other course is where Gardai or markings dictate.

Where does 12 o'clock come in to it?

Right, 12 o'clock seems to be confusing people around here (although I'm not sure why). For all my posts replace 12 o'clock with straight ahead if it makes it easier to understand. I am not getting into a debate on how to label turns on a roundabout. I am debating the lane you should be in when going around the roundabout.
    Right, so you're saying that if you were coming up to a roundabout where the 'straight ahead' exit was at, say, 190 degrees to the entrance, you'd indicate to go right, would you?

Yep. That's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jtbub15 wrote: »
    Arent you suppose to indicate right onto the roundabout anyway??

No.

Not unless you are going right off the roundabout.

If you are going left off the round about, why would you indicate right?

If you are going straight through a roundabout, why would you indicate right?

peasant wrote: »
    Rules of the road

pages 107 - 111

Thats good to refresh the memory... it clears up a couple of things to me that I was wrong on...thank you!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Sorry, wasn't trying to nitpick bman. :)

Reason I mentioned it is that depending on the roundabout, 12 o clock may actually be your 1st exit - where you would need to be in the left lane.
    Whereas on your usual roundabout, 12 o clock is mostly your 2nd exit.

Right, 12 o'clock seems to be confusing people around here (although I'm not sure why). For all my posts replace 12 o'clock with straight ahead if it makes it easier to understand. I am not getting into a debate on how to label turns on a roundabout. I am debating the lane you should be in when going around the roundabout.

Sorry, but your whole point was based on the 12 o clock thing.

So now you're saying that if going straight ahead, you should be in the right lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So now you're saying that if going straight ahead, you should be in the right lane?

12 o'clock IS straight ahead. they are the same thing.

Regardless, I thought you were to be in left hand lane if going straight (and its the second exit) and right only if it was a two lane exit or road markings dictated otherwise.

Tauren wrote: »
    12 o'clock IS straight ahead. they are the same thing.

Regardless, I thought you were to be in left hand lane if going straight (and its the second exit) and right only if it was a two lane exit or road markings dictated otherwise.

I know what 12 o'clock was meant as .....

Have a look at this post and you'll see why I'm asking again:
    You don't know them either so. If the 2nd exit (or any exit for that matter) is past 12 o'clock then you should be in the right hand lane with your right indicator on.

For any turn before or at 12 o'clock you should be in the left lane.

In all cases just after the turn off before yours put on your left indicator.

Simple.

But isnt it coming up to 3 o'clock!!!

But isnt it coming up to 3 o'clock!!!

:)

Vertakill wrote: »
    Sorry, wasn't trying to nitpick bman. :)

No prob ;)

Read my posts again. If you are going straight ahead (12 o'clock), or any turn off before straight ahead, you're supposed to be in the left lane. You're supposed to be in the right lane for anything after straight ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

gpf101 wrote: »
    1st exit (usually left turn) at roundabout = left lane and indicate left
    2nd exit (usually straight on) left lane, indicate left after you pass the first exit.
    3rd or greater exits (usualy right turn) = indicate right, get in right lane and then indicate left after you pass the second exit.

Basic rules of the road that everyone should but don't know!

If u go to Naas from Dublin side and heading to Sallins, u will see at the roundabout u have to stay on the LEFT line for the RIGHT turn!!! the sign is on the road telling u stay in the left line for take right to sallins.:rolleyes:
    same roundabout, if u go to johnstown from sallins saide, u have to stay on the RIGHT for a LEFT turn.

I know what 12 o'clock was meant as .....

Have a look at this post and you'll see why I'm asking again:

Here we go. You have another look at that post.

/ waits for penny to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Roundabouts are a hatred of mine, well i like them fine but having to put up with the muppetry of others... Auburn roundabout (blanch) heading from the auburn road anyone? :D

I also hate the way when people make roundabouts they put in two approach lanes when not only is there only room for one vehicle safely in the lanes and on the roundabout, there is also only left, straight ahead and back the way you came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

peasant wrote: »
    Rules of the road

pages 107 - 111

It used be much easier with the old system,

When taking 1st or 2nd exit use left lane. 3rd or consecutive exit use the right lane.

Here we go. You have another look at that post.

/ waits for penny to drop

There's no need to be smart. Can you point out in my attachment where it mentions anything about your theory?

This is the most sensible explanation on the thread:
    When taking 1st or 2nd exit use left lane. 3rd or consecutive exit use the right lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yep. That's the law.
    I don't think any right thinking person would even remotely consider an exit only 10 degrees to the right (or even left) of 12 o'clock, and probably a continuation of the same road as the one you entered on, as being anything other than "straight on". But then, I could be wrong :D

There's no need to be smart. Can you point out in my attachment where it mentions anything about your theory?

This is the most sensible explanation on the thread:

So I never said:

Okay. That's that cleared up. Look at the other attachment and you will see my theory.
    I don't think any right thinking person would even remotely consider an exit only 10 degrees to the right (or even left) of 12 o'clock, and probably a continuation of the same road as the one you entered on, as being anything other than "straight on". But then, I could be wrong :D

So where's the cut off point for a "right thinking person"? 200 degrees? 270 degrees? 359 degrees? The law is the law, like it or not.

god your very touchy aint ya!!!:p

god your very touchy aint ya!!!:p

Naw, I just like acting the prick when I know I'm right!! :D

So where's the cut off point for a "right thinking person"? 200 degrees? 270 degrees? 359 degrees? The law is the law, like it or not.
    Only if you persist in your personal assumption that "straight on" = (exactly) 180 degrees.

Anyway, the RotR isn't the law either, it's merely an interpretation, and an amateurish, badly worded, ambiguous one at that, of the various SI's that make up the road traffic regulations in this country. That having been said, there's hardly a mention of roundabouts in the relevant SI's, the only one of any substance being ...
    Roundabouts

15. When entering a roundabout, a driver shall turn to the left.

.. that's it.

I'm not going to bother.

If you are approaching a roundabout with the 2nd exit is at say one o clock for instance. It is ridiculous to indicate right and proceed on the right lane. It's nothing but stubborness on your part if that's how you drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The law is the law, like it or not.

What law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

bman nowhere in the rules of the road does it state that if the second exit on a roundabout is part 180 degrees should you be in the right hand lane and indicating right. It does say however that for any subsequent exit after straight ahead (and the key point here is that straight ahead exit is the second exit in the example in the rules of the road) the right hand lane should be used with right indicator on.

I can see how you determined that you should be in the RHL for a second exit past 180 degrees but this is down to incorrectly assuming that straight ahead in the example applies to other roundabouts with no left exit off them. The rules of the road quite specifically outline the straight ahead example as the second exit of the roundabout.

Quite simply unless the road markings show differently its left lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right lane for third and subsequent exits. obviously there are exceptions also as shown in the ROTR for dual lane exits.

I'm not going to bother.
    Me neither, I'm outta here ..
    If you are approaching a roundabout with the 2nd exit is at say one o clock for instance. It is ridiculous to indicate right and proceed on the right lane. It's nothing but stubbornness on your part if that's how you drive.
    I agree, it's taking things to ridiculous slavish extremes.

• Advertisement

Naw, I just like acting the prick when I know I'm right!! :D

hey who doesnt sure!!!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement