Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning right at roundabouts

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Alun wrote: »
    Roundabouts

15. When entering a roundabout, a driver shall turn to the left.

.. that's it.

If this is the actual law and the rules of the road don't count then I don't know what we're discussing.

Everyone: Just go the right way around the roundabout and do whatever the hell you want while entering / exiting.
    cpoh1 wrote: »
    bman nowhere in the rules of the road does it state that if the second exit on a roundabout is part 180 degrees should you be in the right hand lane and indicating right. It does say however that for any subsequent exit after straight ahead (and the key point here is that straight ahead exit is the second exit in the example in the rules of the road) the right hand lane should be used with right indicator on.

I can see how you determined that you should be in the RHL for a second exit past 180 degrees but this is down to incorrectly assuming that straight ahead in the example applies to other roundabouts with no left exit off them. The rules of the road quite specifically outline the straight ahead example as the second exit of the roundabout.

Quite simply unless the road markings show differently its left lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right lane for third and subsequent exits. obviously there are exceptions also as shown in the ROTR for dual lane exits.

You are looking at the diagram too much and not reading what's written. I used to be of the same opinion as you due to simply looking at the diagram. But read it carefully and you will see that it never mentions exit numbers. It only mentions exit positions.

I'm also done with this thread. It was fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bman wrote: »
    If this is the actual law and the rules of the road don't count then I don't know what we're discussing.
    You were the one saying "it's the law". You were wrong. Now I'm really outta here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bah ...this thread is going round in circles (:D) !

Fact is ...there is no universal rule how to behave on a roundabout as every roundabout is different.

Closed before it turns ino a bitch-fest and I have to hand out infractions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement