Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CatEye cycle computers

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

I knew my Aldi cycle computer was in a terminal decline last Friday afternoon when, while touring in the Scottish Highlands, I was informed that my travelling speed was 15.2 mph. Trouble was, I was eating my lunch in a cafe at the time...

I think the insanely heavy rain showers in Scotland must have done for the "Tronic", so now it's time to get a reliable cycle computer that will stand up to inclement conditions. I'm currently looking at the CatEye Strada Wireless. Anyone else got one? My main concern with it is that if I want to hook it up to one of my other bikes or if the wireless transmitter fails, I'll have to buy the thing all over again, whereas some other manufacturers (e.g. Blackburn) seem to sell replacement parts.

Anyone know if there is some workaround for this or if it's just a limitation of CatEye computers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You can get replacement parts.

I've a cateye and it works just fine. Go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

I've got a strada 8 (wired) and doesn't seem to mind the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I got a wireless cateye computer on my Winter bike and its great and indestructible. If your going to spend a bit more money then go for a polar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I just got a Cateye Strada wireless for my road bike yesterdat but I haven't been out on a spin with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have Cateye Mitys (3 & 8) on three of my bikes and find them indestructable. Over ten years use on the oldest and still going strong. I would only bother with wireless if you want cadence TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have a strada wireless and I find it good. Haven't been out in terrible weather but have been out on some fairly wet days.

I went for the wireless because I had som every bad experiences with wired years back (cheap crap tbf). But, as Blorg says if you buy a decent wired one it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cheers for the info, folks. I went for the Strada Wireless in the end. Any reason why you'd advise against it, Blorg? Another thing to go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just more expensive really and no particular downside to wired (as you say one less thing to go wrong.) Battery life is probably a bit worse, but probably in the region of 1 year rather than 5 years. A wire down to a sensor on the front fork is very easy and unobtrusive. I have a wireless cadence sensor and it has occasional flakiness but Garmin does in general in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Cheers for the info, folks. I went for the Strada Wireless in the end. Any reason why you'd advise against it, Blorg? Another thing to go wrong?

I have the same. So far so good (3 spins / 200km / some rain).

Advertisement