Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Freshening' up a westsuit

Options
  • 06-08-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I rinse my wetsuit and boots very well and hang them up to dry.

However, I have noticed a smell coming from the suit lately. I heard that some detergents can attack the quality of the suit. Is there a gentle cleaner you would recommend that I use to freshen it up? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

freshen it up? all wetsuits eventually smell. just dont leave it in the boot of your car and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

^ very helpful :rolleyes:

you can try rip curl's piss off,
    or wash it with a small ammount of milton/detol and/or a small ammount of baby shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

TheTubes wrote: »
    ^ very helpful :rolleyes:

you can try rip curl's piss off,
    or wash it with a small ammount of milton/detol and/or a small ammount of baby shampoo.

Thank ya !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I rinse my wetsuit and boots very well and hang them up to dry.

However, I have noticed a smell coming from the suit lately. I heard that some detergents can attack the quality of the suit. Is there a gentle cleaner you would recommend that I use to freshen it up? Thanks...

Pissy Pissy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One of my friends told me his method of caring for his wetsuit and it seems the best I've heard, and works both in a house or apartment

He uses a plastic box for his wetsuit to keep the back of his car dry, a fairly big one

We usually surf in the evening. When he gets home he fills the box with fresh water. Sometimes he adds a capfull of Milton. He leaves the suit soaking in the box overnight, then hangs it either in the shower or garden (keep it out of direct sunlight) the next day - leaves it fairly dry to use that night

This method avoids messy garden hoses or outside taps - there is nothing more annoying than getting cold water all over yourself just after arriving home from a cold water surf. It is also practical for those of us living in apartments with no gardens or bath tubs in many cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I've used the Ripcurl 'Piss-Off' on my wetsuits, and it did the job. Soaked it in water (not hot, but not freezing either), with a couple capfuls of the solution and it was dead on.

Hang-dry and out of sunlight on a large coat hanger. Shower is a handy idea ;)

Here's more info, bit of a plug tbh

http://mcnett.baron-co.com/page.cfm?pageID=3563

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

dedon wrote: »
    Pissy Pissy!!!

How very dare you.....!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maddin

Johnsons baby shampoo works a treat - just dont use too much or you'll be sudsy and slip sliding off your board next time your out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭amber1

Stop pissing in it!!! wash it as soon as you get in , in the shower and leave it to dry in the shower on a hanger. If you always do this before you go and get trolleyed in the pub your suit won't smell of arse!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

lolol ha haaaa, one of my mates, who will remain Ononymous, its the first thing he does when he gets in the water!!! Weeeeeeeee! Dirty bast*rdo!:p swears by it, calls it natures central heating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭amber1

iceage wrote: »
    lolol ha haaaa, one of my mates, who will remain Ononymous, its the first thing he does when he gets in the water!!! Weeeeeeeee! Dirty bast*rdo!:p swears by it, calls it natures central heating.
    I only do it if I really have to!!! Feels gross having all that pee around you're middle!! ewwwww! And I bet you're the anonymous friend aren't you?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

In my O'Neill!! are you mad........well there was this one time, it was freezing man, and I just had to stay out there, it was banging! and I just had to wait my set. Happy days.....:)

Advertisement