Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a Corrugated Tin Roof

Options
  • 06-08-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I just wanted to get some advice on painting a corrugated tin roof. The roof itself is in pretty good condition. I'd be looking for something that would also be a good sealent as its a roof on a cottage im renovating. Any tips are greatly aprreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Is if rusty?

I've seen currugated sponges, to fit on a pole, in hardware stores.
    They are used like a rooler to spread the paint on the corrugated tin!

A good metal paint should do the job.
    Some people melt tar, as it is water proof and might lessen the impact of heavy rain water. There are a lot of bitumen paints on the market, circa E20 a tin.

Reach and tressels will be your main problem as tin corrugated roof is not strong. So don't place your full weight on it ( especially if old / rusty tin)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

Hi RKQ,

Thanks for the info and tips, I really appreciated it. The tin roof is actually in good nic and has a coat on it's just that I want to do it in red and give it another layer of protection.

Just another question maybe you'll know about this, is it possible to get roof windows for installing in tin roofs?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Hi Bluscreendream, you are very welcome.
    Velux rooflights have a flashing for box metal roof.
    I'm not sure about corrugated roof, but its worth contacting their Technican Dept. I'd say they will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

Thanks again RK!

Advertisement