Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race blades? Snap on vs slide on?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

With all this sheeit weather, am going to invest in a set of these for the road bike. My preference is for ones that I can put on/take off easily, so I assume snap on are the ones to go for. But did a bit of trawling of archives, and sounds like the snap-ons tend to break.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Are you referring to these?
    http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l=en&a=product&i=5288300000

Not sure what you mean by slide-on vs. snap-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i have raceblades and they're mounted with elastic straps on the forks and rear stays. they neither snap or slide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Morgan wrote: »
    Are you referring to these?
    http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l=en&a=product&i=5288300000

Not sure what you mean by slide-on vs. snap-on.
    I think the slide on require you to mount a fixing to the frame itself that stays on when you remove the mudguard..whereas the snap on require no extra fixings.

From this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005229&highlight=snap

"There are snap-ons, slide ons, and fixed ones (traditional). The snap ons need no fixtures at all, usually the plastic snaps onto the tubes, easily broken. In the link you must screw on the metal to the frame, then they can be slided on and off. (snap ons have no fixture when not on the bike). "

lukester wrote: »
    From this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005229&highlight=snap

"There are snap-ons, slide ons, and fixed ones (traditional). The snap ons need no fixtures at all, usually the plastic snaps onto the tubes, easily broken. In the link you must screw on the metal to the frame, then they can be slided on and off. (snap ons have no fixture when not on the bike). "

So there are snap ons, slide ons, fixed ones and race blades.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    So there are snap ons, slide ons, fixed ones and race blades.

I obviously have my terms ass backwards.

What do people here use/recommend on road bikes then?

race blades are a particular brand from SKS, as linked by Morgan.
    There are many generic slide ons etc.
    I use raceblades, cos they don't need a mounting other than the quick release they already contain, and they're quick to take off when the weather's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Just out of interest - are race blades suitable for carbon frames/forks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use Race Blades on my carbon Focus and they work very well. Whether they fit your bike may be a bit hit or miss though, they don't fit my Van Nicholas tourer as well as the Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm thinking of getting mudguards for my Giant SCR 2.0 just to reduce the sprayback when going through puddles etc. I often see cyclists veering wildly out of the way of an upcoming puddle and this morning saw 2 separate lads do this so much so that the car behind them had to swerve. I just cycle straight through most puddles unless it looks like there might be a pothole in it, so mudguards would stop some of the shoe drenching.

I'd want to be able to take them on and off in less than a minute but amn't worried about there being a permanent bracket on the bike. What sound like suitable options?

• Advertisement

i'd go with the race blades. a lot of the clip on solutions don't have much clearance between the tyre and the guard, due to the mounting on the brake-bolt, whereas the raceblade you can set the clearance as much as you want, to stop rubbing.

I'd say Race Blades, they are very easy to attach on and off, with rubber things as Ken says. He is on a Giant himself and I think they fit his bike well. I have slide-ons on a commuter which have brackets permanently attached to the bike, these would be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks lads, where to get them at a decent price though? Wiggle seem to have these 2 and CRC have none.

Actually, given it looks like they'll cost around €50, I might just go with buying some overshoes (which I'm going to get anyway) and then see if I still need mudguards in addition to those. Spending far too much on this cycling gear these days :D

Yes, they aren't cheap, but they do work really well. Standard price in any bike shop here is €45, I got a bit of a deal in Joe Daly's. To be honest overshoes are not really a replacement for mudguards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Overshoes will partially replace the need for a front mudguard, but you'll definitely still need a rear one.

Advertisement