Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Hilton for President!

Options
  • 06-08-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Apparently Paris is running in the election, I must say she would definitely get my vote. Also she appears smarter than Dubya (slightly).

John McCain totally pwned!

Plus she is totally hot!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Out of the mouth of babes comes truth.

"There. Engergy crisis solved. Now, back to my tan."

There's an advertising campaign on in the US for Nextel, a telecom company, which includes "If firefighters ran congress" (You can find it on youtube). Simple decisions, quickly executed, next issue.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

"I'll see you at the debates bitches"

Saw it on Digg first. Comments were very funny. Best one was they smeared peanut butter on gums while someone offset did the talking, just like "Mr Ed"

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

"I'm Paris Hilton and I approve this message, 'cause I think it's totally hot!"

Classic :D

i'd give her one! (a vote i mean ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Pretty sad state of affairs when Paris Hilton has a better energy plan than the Democrat standard bearer.

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Pretty sad state of affairs when Paris Hilton has a better energy plan than the Democrat standard bearer.

You don't even know what the Democrats energy plan is. It certainly isn't what Ms Hilton mentioned.

In fact Obama actually shoots down a lot of mis-conceptions on his policies that the republicans have been going on about in an interview where the reporter is effectively a "McCain proxy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iym-8Q7uBY

• Advertisement

Why in the world would you assume I don’t know his energy plan? Something you stated does make sense though. People here don’t know what Obama’s energy plan is… and again, a sad state of affairs with less than 100 days to go until the election.

And for those who don’t know… Obama energy plan revolves around tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, retooling the US auto industry, doubling the use of renewable resources by 2012, improving safety and environmental impact of nuclear power and reducing the use of electricity. In essence, nothing will get done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

By that logic it is also better then McCains?:D

McCain has now opened this "popular culture" can of worms. He is fair game, expect more tomorrow.
    Hey isnt Arnie the govener of the biggest state in the US?
    When people start taken notice after the conventions i dont think he will do well.
    So far this election has been so drawn out that not many people are interested in the real issue yet. That will change after the conventions.

Hilton's and that old dudes' plans are almost the same :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hilton's and that old dudes' plans are almost the same

Eh, So is Obama's and Hiltons. Your point? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Why in the world would you assume I don’t know his energy plan? Something you stated does make sense though. People here don’t know what Obama’s energy plan is… and again, a sad state of affairs with less than 100 days to go until the election.

And for those who don’t know… Obama energy plan revolves around tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, retooling the US auto industry, doubling the use of renewable resources by 2012, improving safety and environmental impact of nuclear power and reducing the use of electricity. In essence, nothing will get done!
    I thought it involved everyone inflating their tyres. :confused:

• Advertisement

Obama energy plan revolves around tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, retooling the US auto industry, doubling the use of renewable resources by 2012, improving safety and environmental impact of nuclear power and reducing the use of electricity. In essence, nothing will get done!

Ignoring your personal insult to me, which you appeared to have the common sense to remove.

Can you explain to me how you made a jump to "nothing will get done!" ? What logic are you basing this on?

How does that to compare to McCains policy where he wants to give tax credits to the oil companies so they can make profits?

You’re right. After reconsidering, no benefit is obtained in repaying one insult with another.

Tapping the SPR does not help us in a time of crisis, as the OPEC crisis in the 70’s showed us. And with the current climate in the middle east, it makes sense to keep our SPR at full capacity, rather than gaining a few cents off the current price.

A president has no power to force the auto industry to retool. Yes they can impose higher MPG regulations, but he can't make it happen at a time when the US auto industry is loosing billions of dollars. I don’t see it flying right now, as mandated R&D will only bring about increased costs.

Doubling the use of renewable resources by 2012. Ethanol here currently costs more to produce than it’s unit value, and its current increased usage has skyrocketed the prices of most food products. Windmills make sense, but since the most logical places to put them in the US are offshore (Ted Kennedy showed how easily it is to kill that one – Not In My Back Yard!) or on current oil producing properties in areas like Oklahoma, Obama will either nix them for environmental reasons or tax and regulate them because its "big bad oil," to the point where it becomes economically prohibitive.

Improving safety and environmental impact of nuclear power does nothing to help with energy costs. If anything it will cause prices to increase.

How is he going to get us to reduce our use of electricity? Look at Al Gore, he did tens of thousands of dollars worth of work to make his mansion more efficient and green. His electric bills are now 10% higher than before he made the changes. As a side note, I know I will, and it is because the free market is making me, not because a politician is directing me. I am taking part in a test for a new special unit attached to my breaker box, which should decrease my electric bill by 20–30%. It will be installed next month and I will begin testing it. Although it is costing me nothing, payback on the unit is estimated to be realized within one year through reduced electrical bills.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I am taking part in a test for a new special unit attached to my breaker box, which should decrease my electric bill by 20–30%.
    Off-topic tangent, but how does that work?

OB… here is a link to a similar unit (I don’t know which brand the electrical company my wife works for will be installing). The link can explain it much better than me. My estimated savings will be realized because 1) of the way my power company is allowed to charge, and 2) because I have things like a heatpump, a swimming pool filter, two refrigerators, well pump, etc which causes spikes in demand.
    http://www.usaveonelectric.com/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hm. Be curious to see if it does what it says on the tin.

Apologies for the tangent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eltentwelve

That ad made Paris really cool :)

Advertisement