Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telly appearing green!

Options
  • 06-08-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right forum for this, mods please move if I'm in the wrong place...

Last night when I turned on my (CRT, a few years old) telly the picture was almost completely green!

Seems to me like something has blown inside it (no red appearing at all), would it be worth repairing (ie roughly what would it cost) or would I be better off upgrading to an inexpensive new flatscreen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you look closely at the picture are there thin horizontal parallel lines evenly spaced down the screen (flyback lines)? Does turning down the saturation (colour) control change the green intensity ? You mention it seems red is not there, are you sure it isn't there's too much green which is disguising it ? Can you take a picture of the screen and post it ?

Generally speaking if its any smaller than a 21" I'd not bother getting it repaired especially if it's a few years old. Most repair shops have a menu system for repairs e.g. 14" > 17" 60 euro; 18" > 22" 85 euro; > 23" 120 euro etc.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'll have a look tonight and post a picture. There aren't many menu options (colour/ brightness / sharpness/ contrast are the ones I can think of offhand) I'm almost 100% certain saturation isn't an option.

Cheers, Aglomerado

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'll have a look tonight and post a picture. There aren't many menu options (colour/ brightness / sharpness/ contrast are the ones I can think of offhand) I'm almost 100% certain saturation isn't an option.

Cheers, Aglomerado

Sorry old terms die hard. In the world of TV repair the colour control is called the saturation control. The reason is simple, the control effects the strength of the colours i.e. the saturation and not the shade of the colours, in american tvs there is a hue control which would more correctly be called a colour control . . .but anyway . . I digress :) (puts anorak back on . . . )

The Colour control is the one you want.

EDIT: What is the make/model/size of the set by the way ?

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the guns has blown (the red one)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Quick question, you wouldn't have a very large subwoofer sitting next to the telly do you?
    The magnet from my subwoofer is so strong that it could disrupt the electron streams, the result was a change in colour of the picture, in my case a blue-green colour. I moved the subwoofer further away, and problem solved.

But as others have said, its morely a blown gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

If you are only using a set-top box (SKY or UPC etc) for your viewing, try another source (hook-up aerial reception or a video )
    - unlikely, but worth ruling out the possibility the fault lies elsewhere.

A speaker magnet wouldn't suddenly affect the whole screen

it could be the drive to the red gun (repairable)

Antenna wrote: »
    If you are only using a set-top box (SKY or UPC etc) for your viewing, try another source (hook-up aerial reception or a video )
    - unlikely, but worth ruling out the possibility the fault lies elsewhere.

A speaker magnet wouldn't suddenly affect the whole screen

it could be the drive to the red gun (repairable)

Agreed, highly unlikely that a home cinema speaker would effect the whole screen in this way. The usual effect is a rainbow across the screen and the magnetic field strength varies effecting each electron stream differently as it moves away from the magnetic source. Home cinema speakers are usually shielded anyway.

Pending a reply from the OP I would be more inclined to suspect a fault in the green drive leaving it permanently on and unmodulated. That's why I asked about the presence of flyback lines which would be the give away. The effect is an overly bright green hue over the screen with the normally blanked flyback lines visible on the screen.

ZEN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hmmm I get this sometimes on my old crt widescreen - it appears in blotches about the size of my hand though, not over the entire screen.

I had put it down to old age + phosphorous degradation (it's about 12 yo) and I'm waiting for it to die so I have an excuse to buy something decent :D.

SteveC wrote: »
    hmmm I get this sometimes on my old crt widescreen - it appears in blotches about the size of my hand though, not over the entire screen.

I had put it down to old age + phosphorous degradation (it's about 12 yo) and I'm waiting for it to die so I have an excuse to buy something decent :D.

. . . faulty degauss circuit ? Just a guess !

ZEN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ZENER wrote: »
    . . . faulty degauss circuit ? Just a guess !

ZEN

Do TV's have degauss?
    I've only ever seen it on a PC monitor (and old ones at that).

Is that the bdinggg noise you sometimes hear on power up?

• Advertisement

Yeah, all Cathode Ray Tube -CRT- monitors, screens need one to eliminate magnetic build up on the shadowmask which will deflect or attract the electron beam. The noise on some big sets can be frightening if you're not expecting it !

Modern LCD/Plasma screens don't need them.

ZEN

I reckon I'm going to stick with the story: "it's broke /scratches head" to justify getting a new one... she (the royal she) would have words if she found out it could be fixed..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

If you are using a scart lead check to make sure there isn't a loose connection or a broken pin. I've had "green screen" trouble in the past using a PS2 and a scart but I think that was due to a 50/60 Hz incompatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hi lads, sorry I was away from my PC for a while and only checked this now.
    Mine is a Sanyo TV I'd say it's about five or six years old I got it SH. I only have an analogue aerial and don't have a surround sound system (I'm poor!:D)

When I got home last night I switched it on and everything was normal (I did swop the scart leads for the DVD and VCR around - still have to get a scart splitter - so the scart not having been fully inserted originally is likely to be the reason for the nice psychedelic green I was enjoying this time. If it happens again though I'll refer back to this thread.

Thanks for all the help lads.

Aglomerado.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Aglomerado wrote: »
    (I'm poor!:D)

- still have to get a scart splitter -

well the Euro Value shops have a cheapo one (un switched) for €2, if it does not do the job for you it's only €2 wasted.

SteveC wrote: »
    I reckon I'm going to stick with the story: "it's broke /scratches head" to justify getting a new one... she (the royal she) would have words if she found out it could be fixed..;)

. . . ahem . . . oh absolutely brother !!! Telly's knackered !! What would you want with old, unreliable technology anyway ? Sure it'll make all your offspring sterile !!!! :D

ZEN

Advertisement