Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do-gooders....wrecking motors ?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Does anybody else feel motors is been taken over by a bunch of do-gooders nagging the crap out of people who admit they once went 5kph over the limit and tut tutting at folk who's cars emit more than 0.001g/km or whatever it is?

Are the any car nuts left on boards?
    Is it totally frowned upon to talk about driving quickly ever in any light ?
    Is enjoying driving your car taboo now ?

I have to admit I am seeing less and less of knowledgeable genuine enthusiasts here ( or at least they post less often) than there used to be.

This is rapidly becoming the haunt of the anti motorists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel motors is been taken over by a bunch of do-gooders

Yeah, its easy to be mr. perfect behind the keyboard, I have been guilty of it myself.

Truth be known I have 2 penalty points and was speeding on Sunday!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

While I dont speed, I dont care about co2 emmissions and I like to see some of the classics out there as much as I like to see an m5.
    This is a good place for advice but I can see why people dont want every second post to be about illegal activities either.
    I think there can be a happy medium between the eco concious* and the petrol heads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yeah, this place has got a bit boring to be honest.

The classic cars forum is much more interesting as the posts seem to be by people who are genuinely interested. The trolls, PC crowd and hangers on have not as yet discovered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,963 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I agree with pyramuid man. Its good to have a happy medium between all out petrol heads and car fanatics. I think there is a difference. Knowledge of a cars stats doesn't make you one or the other. And while break the law is to be frowned upon all real petrol heads will admit toa bit of speeding, whereas the fanatics prefer to hide behind their keyboards preaching.
    No driver out there has not driven above the speed limit at some stage. FACT.

Driving at speed in a car designed for speed (like the aforementioned M5) is a totally different thing than driving at speed in a 1.0L Micra. Speed is relative to a lot of things, Road conditions, Driver experience/ability, Car capabilities just to mention a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Yes. To be fair, the rest of us have to take a portion of the blame - we allow the loud minority to derail so many threads into the same tired argument. IMO we all just need to ignore posts that seek to change the subject in this way.

OR how about we set up an "Is Speeding Bad?" sticky, into which we can throw any posts which get sucked into the argument? It seems one way of avoiding having it repeated all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's the forum I frequent most on boards and I would consider myself to be a financially challenged car-nut.:o

The only thing I notice is that a lot of threads seem to go wildly off topic, MarkNs thread regarding replacement of his 335 being a prime example.

All in all I find motors to be a great resource and while there are a number of people who ride in on very very high horses the majority of regulars seem to be genuine petrolheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Does anybody else feel motors is been taken over by a bunch of do-gooders nagging the crap out of people who admit they once went 5kph over the limit and tut tutting at folk who's cars emit more than 0.001g/km or whatever it is?

I have to admit I am seeing less and less of knowledgeable genuine enthusiasts here ( or at least they post less often) than there used to be.

Feckin sure... You're a criminal if you admit to speeding or anything of the sort. Even the baiting thread where people were cribbing that you shouldn't overtake something doing 90kmph because you're not allowed to pass 100kmph and it'll take too long. B0ll0cks to that I say, when I come behind something doing 80 or 90kmph and I have a good clear straight road I bury the shoe and pass, taking no heed of what the needle says till I'm safely back to my side.
    I enjoy a good spirited drive down a decent twisty road in the right car. I've driven cars of varying ability, and only a fool would believe that I kept a 997 Carerra S for example under the 100kph limit. Am I sorry for it? Not a bit. That's what they're made for. I'm sure this post will be dug up and thrown in my face, but I don't care. I'm not a lunatic, I don't drive like a clown, no tailgating, pulling out of junctions, overtaking on corners, wrong lane on the roundabout, 100kph in wet foggy conditions - all that sort of lark - that's not me, that's the stuff that causes accidents. Breaking the speed limit? Sometimes, in the right car in the right conditions. I don't see the need to feel bad about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Biro wrote: »
    Feckin sure... You're a criminal if you admit to speeding or anything of the sort. Even the baiting thread where people were cribbing that you shouldn't overtake something doing 90kmph because you're not allowed to pass 100kmph and it'll take too long. B0ll0cks to that I say, when I come behind something doing 80 or 90kmph and I have a good clear straight road I bury the shoe and pass, taking no heed of what the needle says till I'm safely back to my side.
    I enjoy a good spirited drive down a decent twisty road in the right car. I've driven cars of varying ability, and only a fool would believe that I kept a 997 Carerra S for example under the 100kph limit. Am I sorry for it? Not a bit. That's what they're made for. I'm sure this post will be dug up and thrown in my face, but I don't care. I'm not a lunatic, I don't drive like a clown, no tailgating, pulling out of junctions, overtaking on corners, wrong lane on the roundabout, 100kph in wet foggy conditions - all that sort of lark - that's not me, that's the stuff that causes accidents. Breaking the speed limit? Sometimes, in the right car in the right conditions. I don't see the need to feel bad about that.

Well siad :)
    Bury the shoe is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Yes, and i mostly read here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bless me father for I have sinned. I went a bit too fast once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Post of the year!

Like another poster said, the classic car forum is where most of the real petrol heads reside (including myself). No nonsense about CO2 emissions there!

BAH HUMBUG

Im in favour of retro fit hybrids, vegetable oil (that gives diesels 5% more torque) electric cars with mental torque from their electric motors and autobahns.............all in the name of the environment too

keep your old V6 - rather than scrap it building cars emits most of the Co2 anyway
    autobahns for a more productive efficient economy and damn the toll bridge to hell
    all the co2 wasted as the cars sat idling was a crime against the environment

veg oil hybrids and electric cars with torque that would break your neck!!!!

the future is bright dont despair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

:eek: Oh, your in big trouble now !!! :p Say twenty hail marys for your sins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Agreed with Biro, especially on the bit about overtaking. Someone said speed is relative to a lot of things and the bang on right.

I hate the types that come out with stuff like "oh but your were 10kph over the speed limit, so you were breaking the law", even though you were doing it so that you could overtake safely. This is usually greeted with "oh but you shouldn't have overtaken that person doing 90kph if you couldn't do so without breaking the limit" Tbh I think thats a load of bollox sure if 3 or 4 cars were to go by that logic & stay behind that car even though they had opportunities to overtake, someone at the back would eventually try to take the lot....oh and I know someone is going to come along and pick at my example but most here will understand what Im saying.

As regards Co2, I give up. By the time people figure it out we'll all be dieing from the other chemicals in the atmosphere.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    the majority of regulars seem to be genuine petrolheads.

A petrolhead currently driving a diesel :o.....I'll get my coat!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got sick of replying to threads in case of flaming abuse of "Do Gooders"
    I drive a relativley quick car (to me) and I enjoy driving it.
    I know what CO2 it emits and it's high, but I don't care about that.
    I bought my car to drive not save the planet, I can do that in other ways.

As for speeding, sure I do sometimes - no points yet thank god.

People are entitled to their opinions but some of them take the p1ss by having their .02c on every thread they can find something even slightly morally wrong with.

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Post of the day^^ What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yup, you're spot on. More preachers in here than Texas.

:eek: Oh, your in big trouble now !!! :p Say twenty hail marys for your sins:D

I feel so dirty... Maybe I should ban myself for a week! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Imperator

Couldnt agree more with RobMerc. Perhaps a thread on why people actually love cars is in order here. I'l get on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Get a MPH speedo in your car and pretend all the KPH signs are actually MPH. So do 120mph on the motorway, 80mph on the back roads etc, it's a good guide. Anything more is taking the piss, unless you're driving a seriously nice motor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jebus, Motors has been in dire need of a thread like this for a good while. Fair play to ya RobAMerc.

I too don't drive to save the planet by getting from a to b as carbon friendly / slowly as possible, I drive to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I'm a rare enough poster here, but always visit to see what the latest chit-chat is about.

I agree wholeheartedly that the 'you broke the law & deserve to be flogged in public like the beee-atch you are' brigade are really taking over & certainly not making the place interesting...

vroom...vroom, is that the sweet sweet smell of petrol fumes & the music of 7000rpm?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

To be honest, I used to love the Motors forum, and then it went sour really quickly. If it isn't a holier than thou preach by the masses against speeding, it's people debating which is better, driving into a space, or reversing in. If it isn't that, its Peasant locking every single thread on the Forum.

And it really sickens me how Dealers on this Forum are treated by users. We give up our time answering questions, and genuinely trying to help out, and still get roasted ... which is why I bowed out. AudiChris, ColmMcm, Junkyard ... I don't know how you still put up with it.

This forum has really done down the swanny as far as I'm concerned, I still watch it, but I never see the need to post anymore until now. Well done OP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well I for one Appreciate the help you and fellow car dealer posters who take timeout to answer questions.
    I know it has been helpful in decisions when I have been purchasing cars.

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Relax. It's a difference of opinion. If everyone agrees you'll soon be complaining it's become a forum of self congratulating back-slappers.

Maybe there should be a driving forum.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,963 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Shotgun!!!!

Relax. It's a difference of opinion. If everyone agrees you'll soon be complaining it's become a forum of self congratulating back-slappers.

Could be a plan. Or a Petrol head section, not like the modified bit, just for Petrol heads! Anyone who knows a bit and likes talking about general car stuff, and no "I like Polos, which one should I get? The one with black seats or blue?".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When you last suggested it, it wasn't exactly met with enthusiasm ...for the very reason that the "do gooders" would probably spoil it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Maybe there should be a moto-equine forum then.
    Preferably with a non-return valve on it.

Advertisement