Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do-gooders....wrecking motors ?

Options

Comments

There is a huge rush of idiots to tell people off when there is the slightest hint of illegality or improper road manners.
    Its often a point scoring excercise rather than any meaningful discussion. Take the constant "fast lane" , "road rage" or "speeding" threads. Their only purpose is self fellating and back slapping.
    I stopped reading motors a while back but there are some useful and interesting threads among the steaming pile.
    I only read this place infrequently now. Octane.ie is a much better read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Biro wrote: »
    and no "I like Polos, which one should I get? The one with black seats or blue?".
    Laughed my ass off at that. just because its true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think part of the problem is that people who've taken a chance but got caught, come on here asking questions about farming points out to elderly relatives or other ways to weasel out of motoring offences. Their contribution to the forum is of little value and they're a magnet for high horses. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint even though I've never got any penalty points* but I firmly believe that if you get caught it's time say fair cop and move on, rather than coming on somewhere like this and moaning about it.

*probably more to do with the effectiveness of the gardai than me being a model citizen

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is that people who've taken a chance but got caught, come on here asking questions about farming points out to elderly relatives or other ways to weasel out of motoring offences. Their contribution to the forum is of little value and they're a magnet for high horses. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint even though I've never got any penalty points* but I firmly believe that if you get caught it's time say fair cop and move on, rather than coming on somewhere like this and moaning about it.

*probably more to do with the effectiveness of the gardai than me being a model citizen
    This is true but that is only one aspect of it.

Maybe there should be a thread megamerge on threads like will I buy the blue car or the red car or I really like ford focus but I saw an astra which I don't like and am thinking of buying it.

Thats what they did on mobiles/pda's when the barrage of questions came in on the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

peasant wrote: »
    When you last suggested it, it wasn't exactly met with enthusiasm ...for the very reason that the "do gooders" would probably spoil it.

Can we not set up a road safety forum then?

Uncle Gaybo to moderate of course.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Can we not set up a road safety forum then?

Uncle Gaybo to moderate of course.

Then exile many motors posters to it. :D

They can be happy, safe and self satisfied in gaybos wonderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Maybe there should be a thread megamerge on threads like will I buy the blue car or the red car or I really like ford focus but I saw an astra which I don't like and am thinking of buying it.

Sticky: Insomnia cures - Having Trouble Sleeping? Read This!

brilliant. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ronoc wrote: »
    Its often a point scoring excercise rather than any meaningful discussion. Take the constant "fast lane" , "road rage" or "speeding" threads. Their only purpose is self fellating and back slapping.
    Why not boot all them "driving standards" threads over to Learning to Drive? At least some educational value can be derived from them then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Biro wrote: »
    Anyone who knows a bit and likes talking about general car stuff, and no "I like Polos, which one should I get? The one with black seats or blue?".
    What about the "I bought a Polo with blue seats and I want black ones, how much will it cost me to get them resprayed? €20? €40?"

• Advertisement

You would get your seats resprayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Certainly speeding is associated with poor driving, at least by the general public. Whether going above the legal speed limit is particularly dangerous is another thing. In good conditions it's not particularly unsafe, as long as you know what you're doing.

I'll give you an example. My brother claims that he is a natural driver. He's had his full licence 6 months and drives my parents Meriva. How the hell can he be a natural driver? For crying out loud, we've been driving in industrial estates and he won't brake hard because he's afraid of 'damaging the car'. This is utterly illogical. You can't be a natural if you're afraid to use the car to it's limits in a safe environment (i.e, in a straight line with no traffic, or at Mondello). So he doesn't know what he's doing.

He's the average driver on the road. Let's say he goes on the motorway in a bad mood and decides to boot it in the overtake lane. At 150kph a car ahead swings into his lane travelling at 90kph. They're 20m apart and closing. He does one of three things.

1) He swerves to avoid.
    2) He brakes heavily.
    3) He does both

Either way, he's now in deep sh1t.

What's annoying is that he refused to take the car to Mondello for a morning and throw it around. Ok, it's not a performance car, but it'll at least show him how the car responds in bad situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If there is a driving forum, it should be made private. Only us real petrol heads should be let in! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Confab wrote: »
    something totally irrelevent to this thread

hmmmmm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Max_Damage wrote: »
    If there is a driving forum, it should be made private. Only us real petrol heads should be let in! :D
    hmmm you mean a bit like the humour forum has that 'other place' - not a bad Idea.:pac:

Athough it's probably there already and we just haven't been invited..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Good God we've needed a post like the OPs for quite a long time.

This forum has gone WAY downhill in the past few months. There is far too much space given to those who post things that are deliberately designed to annoy those of us who are true petrolheads, everyone knows what they are, and more to the point we have covered them all ad nauseam at this stage.

Yet when we have arguments about what car is best and why petrol is better than diesel or why car x is the best/worst thing to have graced us with our presence, which is what car enthusiasts should be doing we can get cautioned and if these same threads go a little off topic they'll be closed:confused:. I'm beginning to wonder is this a Motors forum for people who like cars at all or is it a "let's show 'em all why they're so "wrong" and lets annoy motoring enthusiasts in their own supposed forum"?

I certainly didn't replace a 1.8 petrol 4 pot with a 2.0 6 pot so that I could "slow down" or because I felt a need to save a couple of polar bears, no I did it because I like cars, I see a need for more than 4 cylinders, and because I like driving.

I wish those that don't like driving and hate those of us who don't like cars would just bog off and leave us motoring enthusiasts in peace.

Btw I came back from Germany yesterday morning where I had the absolute privilege of travelling in excess of 200 km/h in a Passat 2.0 TDI. Surprisingly:rolleyes:, considering how "dangerous" and "life threatening":rolleyes: "speeding"/going fasty is I'm still alive and didn't even so much as have the slightest injury.
    RobAMerc hit the nail on the head. Time to wake up people!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

How about you get rid of the Motors section and replace with a few more sections?

Rec > Motors > General Chat
    Rec > Motors > Petrol Heads
    Rec > Motors > Buy & Sell Advice
    Rec > Motors > VRT
    Rec > Motors > Legal Stuff
    Rec > Motors > Engine Trouble
    Rec > Motors > Insurance

Robertr wrote: »
    How about you get rid of the Motors section and replace with a few more sections?

Rec > Motors > VRT
    Rec > Motors > Insurance

Boards.ie needs more special interest forums that noone reads:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Rec > Motors > VRT
    Rec > Motors > Insurance

Don't forget a BMW section for the fanboys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

This is a good thread, find myself agreeing fully with the OP. There are some other forums that will crucify you if you admit to going over the speed limit,overtaking etc. I find it very hard to keep my car under the limit especially on the motorway. Have the penalty points to prove it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Thanks OP, this point needed to be raised to purge out the Peter Perfect the Perfect Priest brigade.

I rarely post here anymore, primarily because of the treatment people have received here before for stuff like, god forbid, speeding fines and penalty points. I couldn't be arsed to share my own experiences, and obviously a lot of other posters feel the same and the forum is worse off for it.

Incidentally, some of the best advice I've gotten on here was from motor dealers and practicing mechanics so I for one have been grateful for anyone who is wiling to educated us fools. Sure saves me looking like a tit when I do go to get the motor fixed that I can at least keep up some dialogue with my local mechanic and not just stand there staring back with a blank look on my face.

If the nuns decide to leave for a while it'd be nice to see some interesting topics once again, yes even the controversial ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

MSporty wrote: »
    This is a good thread, find myself agreeing fully with the OP. There are some other forums that will crucify you if you admit to going over the speed limit,overtaking etc. I find it very hard to keep my car under the limit especially on the motorway. Have the penalty points to prove it :D
    So that's you, me...and 499,998 other sinners with penalty points. We're all going to hell.

Rec > Motors > VRT
    Rec > Motors > Insurance

Bad idea. When I joined boards, the DIY forum used to be a great place with regular posters who gave great advice all round. It now has 9 subforums, some of which might only get 2 posts a day. Motors already has 7 and if you look here you will see that the number viewing each forum speaks for itself.
    At the most, I'd split the current 'motors' into 'motoring' and 'motors' 'the workshop', the former being the place where the general stuff goes and 'the workshop' (or <better name>) being where the proper petrolhead and driving skill talk could live.
    The reason I struck out 'motors' as a forum name is because the same crap would only continue as that's where people already know to come and post their 'red car or blue car' stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Savman wrote: »
    So that's you, me...and 499,998 other sinners with penalty points. We're all going to hell.

Hopefully in something with a V8,V10 or V12 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel motors is been taken over by a bunch of do-gooders nagging the crap out of people who admit they once went 5kph over the limit and tut tutting at folk who's cars emit more than 0.001g/km or whatever it is?

Are the any car nuts left on boards?
    Is it totally frowned upon to talk about driving quickly ever in any light ?
    Is enjoying driving your car taboo now ?

I have to admit I am seeing less and less of knowledgeable genuine enthusiasts here ( or at least they post less often) than there used to be.

This is rapidly becoming the haunt of the anti motorists!

I blame the increase in diesel owners , their everywhere these days .. they love talking up frugality over performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

wronginternetjf1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is everyone feeling purged yet? :)

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SteveC wrote: »
    At the most, I'd split the current 'motors' into 'motoring' and 'motors' 'the workshop', the former being the place where the general stuff goes and 'the workshop' (or <better name>) being where the proper petrolhead and driving skill talk could live.

There is a commuting and transport forum on Boards where you are naturally welcome any time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

in fairness if anyone wants a petrol head forum, there are plenty out there, some marque-specific, some not, and lots in this country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

Thanks to RobAMerc for posting the most salient post in Motors in months....now back to the Classics Forum where the real car fanatics hang out

Advertisement