Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do-gooders....wrecking motors ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel motors is been taken over by a bunch of do-gooders nagging the crap out of people who admit they once went 5kph over the limit and tut tutting at folk who's cars emit more than 0.001g/km or whatever it is?

Are the any car nuts left on boards?
    Is it totally frowned upon to talk about driving quickly ever in any light ?
    Is enjoying driving your car taboo now ?

I have to admit I am seeing less and less of knowledgeable genuine enthusiasts here ( or at least they post less often) than there used to be.

This is rapidly becoming the haunt of the anti motorists!

excellent post and so true too. thank you RobAMerc :)

i had gotten sick of even looking at this section (which is my most active one) lately because so many threads had turned into pi$$ing matches where the "usual suspects", i wont mention names ;) keep on ranting the same old BS about speeding and preaching the law to us like a jehova's witness on a rainy day :rolleyes:.

no mattery how much "muppetry" anyone (in particular ;)), thinks it is that a seasoned driver can decide how fast they drive for themselves while remaining safe, the fact remains that we have to make a lot of decisions every day on the road that affect this anyway. this is just one more (not denying its importance either).

i sincerely doubt that these individuals actually drive themselves or they would see that keeping to the limits 100% of the time is very difficult when they are so low on better roads.

i just hope they have the common decency to stay away from this forum in future as it is obvious that they have no real interest in motoring except to try to rise the genuine enthusiasts on here :rolleyes:.

not that any of their drivel ever had any influence on how i drive anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

deserve a bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

TBH I've started to avoid posts that descend into holier-than-thou admonishments for breaking speed limits. It just raises my blood pressure. My view is that some people are sheep and love RULES. Anyone with the sheer brass neck to stray beyond speed limits (a pretty arbitary figure in many cases anyway) gets a roasting. Not that I condone excessive, careless speeding or anything. There is a certain percentage of muppets who are contributing to give enthusiasts a bad reputation. My worry is that society in general is moving very much towards the 'no-speed under any circumstances' perspective (reinforced by hysterical media reports).

I wouldn't like to see this place become a pure-petrolhead forum though focusing soley on M3s and GTRs. It's good that 'ordinary mortals' can come in and ask (hopefully intellegent) questions. Also, my interest in cars covers a broad chuch - from superminis to supercars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

pburns wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see this place become a pure-petrolhead forum though focusing soley on M3s and GTRs. It's good that 'ordinary mortals' can come in and ask (hopefully intellegent) questions.

Good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wouldn't like to see this place become a pure-petrolhead forum though focusing soley on M3s and GTRs. It's good that 'ordinary mortals' can come in and ask (hopefully intellegent) questions. Also, my interest in cars covers a broad chuch - from superminis to supercars.

I don't think anyone wants that - what we don't need is people coming on here abusing everyone who mentions they broke the speed limit by 5kph while overtaking or making up laws like "you cannot overtake more than 1 car at a time" because they think they are being safe !
    or preachers on about gas guzzling 2.0 litre cars :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well then the solution is simple. Anyone who dishes out abuse like that is banned. First for a week and then forever.

Anyone agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Great Post!

5 stars :)

this is so refreshing!

Its so true though... If someone came on here and said something like they drove their car @ 80mph down a main road when it was empty at 4 in the morning they would get such a roasting!

WAY WAY WAY to "Prim and Propper" for me

Who are these people to judge anyway? they are probably just as bad!

grahambo wrote: »
    Great Post!

Who are these people to judge anyway? they are probably just as bad!

Probably the RSA.

Uncle Gaybo is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well then the solution is simple. Anyone who dishes out abuse like that is banned. First for a week and then forever.

Anyone agree

anyone who dishes out personal abuse usually gets warned/banned if we mods see it.

problem is ...quoting the letter of the law / the rules of road or claiming that a certain practise is unsafe doesn't constitute "abuse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I say we should turn the tables around and invade the green issues forum and post messages about we love gas guzzlers and so on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

My view is that some people are sheep and love RULES.
    That's essentially it.
    pburns wrote:
    Anyone with the sheer brass neck to stray beyond speed limits (a pretty arbitary figure in many cases anyway) gets a roasting. Not that I condone excessive, careless speeding or anything. There is a certain percentage of muppets who are contributing to give enthusiasts a bad reputation. My worry is that society in general is moving very much towards the 'no-speed under any circumstances' perspective (reinforced by hysterical media reports).
    Agree wholeheartedly.

But when that chatter is off topic and is clearly an attempt to make someone feel better than someone else and is done in a condescending manner then it should be an offence

If someone wants to discuss the law isn't there a law discussion forum,

Actually that is all subjective and really I am going a bit over the top but this is something that is ruining the forum and as it the one that I frequent most and I have learned alot from it I just feel kinda strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

wow, and here was me thinking i was all alone in this forum, great post RobAmerc, its so refreshing to read this thread, there is hope for the motors section yet :cool:

But when that chatter is off topic and is clearly an attempt to make someone feel better than someone else and is done in a condescending manner then it should be an offence

Have read through some other threads that have nothing to do with speeding an no "do-gooder" involvement and you will find that off-topic chatter, pissing contests and one-upmanship are a feature of almost all longer threads at some stage (usually shortly before they get closed :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What about a name and shame .. call it the "Green Anorak award"

5 Nominees and then a vote on the winner, could do it once a month ?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

if all the bitching just stopped, eg

- you must have been speeding thats why you damaged your car
    - if you hadnt been so inconsiderate and parked somewhere else instead then your car wouldnt have been crashed into
    - your nothing but a alfa/bmw/honda fanboy
    - alfas are crap
    - toyotas are crap
    - diesels are killers
    - hybrids are for tree huggers
    - 4 pots are for wimps
    - expensive cars must have been paid for by daddy

then it might be a motoring forum:) my 2c

otoh all the bitching is funny sometimes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

VH wrote: »

- if you hadnt been so inconsiderate and parked somewhere else instead then your car wouldnt have been crashed into

Having had to listen to this one in particular twice from the sort of smug, sanctimonious <SNIP> that this thread has been about, I'd like to agree with the sentiment expressed in this thread wholeheartedly. I've almost stopped reading the Motors altogether because of certain high horse merchants constantly bleating on about the evils of speed, CO2, etc. etc. blah-blah-blah ad nauseum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't think i've actually read every word of a 6 page thread before. Fair play. It's about time this place got sorted out, bring on the enthusiast's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

peasant wrote: »
    (usually shortly before they get closed :D)

Well, if you'd stop constantly locking threads - rather than trying to steer the conversation in the thread and advise what's not on like a Mod should - the Forum might benefit from a little more chat and banter. If you don't agree with the subject, you just lock it ... go fig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, its easy to be mr. perfect behind the keyboard, I have been guilty of it myself.

Truth be known I have 2 penalty points and was speeding on Sunday!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

We could get more nutters and balance it out. :D

Im going to take the 406 out to do some roundabout drifting tonight. Anyone want to join me. PM for details.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

craichoe wrote: »
    What about a name and shame .. call it the "Green Anorak award"

5 Nominees and then a vote on the winner, could do it once a month ?

:)

hehe, methinks a certain poster would win that one quite a lot.
    ned78 wrote: »
    Well, if you'd stop constantly locking threads - rather than trying to steer the conversation in the thread and advise what's not on like a Mod should - the Forum might benefit from a little more chat and banter. If you don't agree with the subject, you just lock it ... go fig.
    Fair point but IMO locking threads is better than letting a pissing competition continue and having to ban / infract users for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Don't forget all the NCT-worshipers and other Dublin-based proponents of clamping and far-reaching road safety regulations.

These little ****s are usually the kind of 25-40 year old business men, have a cushy little job for some huge company in Dublin and spend their days participating with the in-fighting and sucking up for their next promotion. and they absolutely love doing everything exactly by the rules.

props to the lad who made this thread. If I had done it I would have almost certainly been flamed by these muppets.

"What you mean you don't want an electronic tag and speed limiter in your car? Have you got something to hide? You must have something to hide if you don't want to pay the 99.99 for your mandatory speed governor. You want to drive 110 on a 100km road? You murderer! Each time you break the speed limit a kitten dies!! how dare you! Let me guess you also carry an angle grinder and a generator in the boot and its criminal scumbags like yourself who put honest, hard working clamping companies out of business!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

VH wrote: »

- you must have been speeding thats why you damaged your car
    - your nothing but a alfa/bmw/honda fanboy
    - alfas are crap
    - toyotas are crap
    - diesels are killers
    - hybrids are for tree huggers
    - 4 pots are for wimps
    - expensive cars must have been paid for by daddy

then it might be a motoring forum:) my 2c

otoh all the bitching is funny sometimes:)

Er...

it'd be a pretty empty place if all of the above were prohibited! Personally I think this place is full of fanboys (mainly BMW), that Toyotas are on a bit of a quality slide (not crap though), that the obsession with CO2 has led us to ignore the potential hazards of diesel, that hybrids are of questionable merit and that a certain percentage of the demograpic attracted to these boards do get their car paid for by daddy. So ban me:D...

It is the anti-speed, rule-obsessed zealots that get my goat but I'm not sure how you'd go about keeping those out - or if we REALLY want to. Free speech and all that. Besides, it has given me an insight into the mindset of Joe Soap types who swallow the stupid RSA/media hysteria about speed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Clampers deserve to be put out of business.
    Speed traps are purely revenue generators.

The truth shall set you free :pac:

Now, have the glitches been resolved or is the Motors forum still in technical difficulties? When can normal service be resumed?

ned78 wrote: »

Since this was directed at me personally, I'll answer it from my perspective (i.e. not speaking for kbannon or unkel)

I don't think that steering/nannying threads is my job. We're all grown ups here and should be able to have grown up conversations with a bit of banter and a few digs, but within the limits of common courtesy. How could I possibly steer conversation and stay objective and neutral? My opinion on the subject would always colour my steering direction and that should be avoided where possible. So I stay out of it.
    Until the point when the conversation goes off the rails or someone reports a post and/or the argument gets so heated that one or two posters loose the plot and insults get thrown around.

At that point I have three choices:

I can try and leave hints on thread to calm down (which I am doing but that doesn't always work)

I can play hard-ass moderator and throw around infractions and bannings like candy (which helps nobody)

Or I can just call it quits and lock the thread and leave everybody to cool off.

My personal opinion on the subject matter doesn't come into it (or at least I'm trying my best not to let that happen) it's always about the rules / the interest of the community as a whole when a thread gets closed.

On the few occasions where I personally have been involved in an argument and the thread turned iffy, I have reported my own posts and let the other moderators make the (impartial) decisions on the thread.

However, I'd like it to be known that I don't think that I'm perfect and beyond critizism. So if you have an issue with one of my decisions in the future, feel free to discuss it with me via PM ...just not on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Totally agree with the OP. Too many threads in Motors seem to progress along these lines:

OP: I think I might've gotten clocked the other day. Saw a garda car parked up at the side of the road and passed at roughly 110kph. Can anyone tell me if there's likely to be a follow-on from this?

High-horser: Hopefully you'll burn in hell you murderer.

Invariably the thread spirals off topic into a moral discussion during which the "Speed Kills" sheep can gleefully bleat the same tired platitudes that they've already trotted out a gazillion times before.

Personally I'd like to see the mods crack down and hand out bans to anybody dragging threads off topic in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

towel401 wrote: »
    Don't forget all the NCT-worshipers and other Dublin-based proponents of clamping and far-reaching road safety regulations.

eh, speak for yourself towel. Plenty of people Dublin based and based from all over the country are car enthusiasts. Also, I think you will find most Dublin based people are far from clamping proponents... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Awful lot of negativity and ranting in this forum.
    Whether that’s from the do gooders or petrolheads I don’t realy know
    Maybe it’s easier to rant to comment on good things.

For example I started two threads in this forum.
    One was what do you like about driving in Ireland, e.g scenery, rural areas, etc. Within it a few posts, posters were ranting about everything they hate.
    What’s up? Nothing at all in Ireland at all to like? Can’t name one spectacular road you like driving?

Another was about what I saw as good driving. How I was swiftly put in my place.
    I’ve not started a thread here since afaik. It's interesting to read though but people could lighten up instead of getting angry all the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

towel401 wrote: »
    "What you mean you don't want an electronic tag and speed limiter in your car? Have you got something to hide? yes:p You must have something to hide if you don't want to pay the 99.99 for your mandatory speed governor. You want to drive 110 on a 100km road? You murderer! Each time you break the speed limit a kitten dies!! how dare you! just like the bag of kittens i threw in the river yesterday.. Let me guess you also carry an angle grinder and a generator in the boot and its criminal scumbags like yourself who put honest, hard working clamping companies out of business!"nope, a con saw is quicker and far more effective

:p:D;)

• Advertisement

Speed kills sheep huh

I agree with you I must say though.

Advertisement