Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do-gooders....wrecking motors ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I rarely post any more, I keep my comments for other motoring forums where you can have a proper discussion without someone getting on their high horse and talking crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Another thing that annoys me is people who say things like

"I'm looking at a new car but it's a 2ltr and that's massive" - no it's not, stop listening to the green party ffs!

Duckjob wrote: »

Personally I'd like to see the mods crack down and hand out bans to anybody dragging threads off topic in this way.

+1
    Some users net contributions seem to be nothing but this holier than thou rubbish. Do they even care about cars or have anything useful to offer the forum? Its a pity because this place can be good at times.

Bring out the banhammer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moan bloody moan! Get back to work. :)

When I was modding a busy spell meant 60-80 on the board, now that number are viewing at any given time with twice that number and more at peak times, its hardly a surprise that the nature of the place has changed somewhat as "Joe Public" asks routine questions about second hand hatchbacks, where to buy a wheel nut etc. As for the "careful now" contingent, again that is down to popularity. The broad population has been brainwashed by years of SLOW DOWN campaigns and so jumps in here to offer same advice if prompted by a post/thread regardless of how ill-judged it may be.

There is not much that can be done short of a subforum which frankly we could do without (way too many boards on boards as it is).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Duckjob wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see the mods crack down and hand out bans to anybody dragging threads off topic in this way.

Ohhhhkayyy ...so, in the context of this thread ...who of the following is so off topic that you would ban them?

:D

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I say we should turn the tables around and invade the green issues forum and post messages about we love gas guzzlers and so on! :D
    craichoe wrote: »
    What about a name and shame .. call it the "Green Anorak award"

5 Nominees and then a vote on the winner, could do it once a month ?

:)
    Im going to take the 406 out to do some roundabout drifting tonight. Anyone want to join me. PM for details.
    towel401 wrote: »
    Don't forget all the NCT-worshipers and other Dublin-based proponents of clamping and far-reaching road safety regulations.

These little ****s are usually the kind of 25-40 year old business men,
    <blah, blah ...long rant cut out>
    Savman wrote: »
    Clampers deserve to be put out of business.
    Speed traps are purely revenue generators.

The truth shall set you free :pac:

Now, have the glitches been resolved or is the Motors forum still in technical difficulties? When can normal service be resumed?
    lightening wrote: »
    eh, speak for yourself towel. Plenty of people Dublin based and based from all over the country are car enthusiasts. Also, I think you will find most Dublin based people are far from clamping proponents... ;)
    siralfalot wrote: »
    :p:D;)
    Speed kills sheep huh

Not that easy, is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

micmclo wrote: »
    Awful lot of negativity and ranting in this forum.
    Whether that’s from the do gooders or petrolheads I don’t realy know
    Maybe it’s easier to rant to comment on good things.

For example I started two threads in this forum.
    One was what do you like about driving in Ireland, e.g scenery, rural areas, etc. Within it a few posts, posters were ranting about everything they hate.
    What’s up? Nothing at all in Ireland at all to like? Can’t name one spectacular road you like driving?

Another was about what I saw as good driving. How I was swiftly put in my place.
    I’ve not started a thread here since afaik. It's interesting to read though but people could lighten up instead of getting angry all the time :)
    True, the Irish are well able to whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

peasant wrote: »
    Ohhhhkayyy ...so, in the context of this thread ...who of the following is so off topic that you would ban them?

None of them tbh.

This thread started as a "feedback" type thread. I wouldn't consider it comparable to the type of scenario I described where the thread is started by a poster requesting information/advice and gets dragged off topic by those who have nothing to contribute but just can't resist the opportunity for a bit of finger-wagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Definitely agree with the OP.

Check out Junior's post on this page. Chap is fairly new to these forums and he already noticed what the OP is getting at.

I generalize and call them "high horses" but I think the OP explained it a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Oh woe betide anyone who mentions a 4x4 or SUV that's not used "Off-road"
    And if it has a bullbar................. you’re Satan’s Spawn
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Oh woe betide anyone who mentions a 4x4 or SUV that's not used "Off-road"

In fairness, the OP was talking about a forum for car enthusiasts, not tractor fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Zube wrote: »
    In fairness, the OP was talking about a forum for car enthusiasts, not tractor fans.

:p:p:p

peasant wrote: »

I suppose that's your call.

But the fact most of the more interesting and informative posters have stopped posting or raised concerns speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this thread is going a bit off topic with the 'Off topic' topics ???

The real issue I have with it is how after a weekend when lots of people are unfortunately killed on the roads - boards is inundated with hoards of angry mobs accusing every car but of being murderers and equally the same when one of the green party gets on the telly spouting sh*te too.

It's too easy spot the rethoric - 'Boy racers' and 'Gas Guzzlers' used ad nauseum

But anyway - my whole reason for posting was to let the people who come on here ranting and raving about whatever they read in todays paper to know - that I for one am not interested in their newly formed 'opinion' and to ask them to leave this forum to those who actually have a genuine interest in cars - or are genuinely interested in finding out about cars.

thanks for the support btw.
    sin eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

siralfalot wrote: »
    :p:D;)

ah good. there needs to be more like you around:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Who agrees with me that the mods should ban all speeding/going fast/anything along those lines threads, unless something good happens like the fact that 300 km of road is being upgraded to 120 km/h in 6 weeks' time or something bad like the Germans trying to have blanket speed limits on the Autobahn(for about the 10 billionth time cause they've talked about it for nearly 30 years at this stage)?

Perhaps the moderators may change the charter and say that it is a topic which is NOT for discussion, and any such topics will be closed, and repeat offenders will be banned from Motors(if I were a mod I know I would have banned this nonsense ages ago). After all they've quite rightly banned foglights threads, so why not ban this as well? Commuting and Transport deals with "speeding" etc on a regular basis, so if the high horses have a need to promote their propaganda(the more and more driving I do the more and more I realise it really is nothing but propaganda) then why not let them do it there?

They're the one thing that really lets down this site, oh and I'm sick to death of people asking "is my car on the old VRT system or the new VRT system" when we have an enormous sticky about the funkin thing at this stage too:(.

And could we ban all the BMW drivers are w***ers/BMW drivers need to learn how to use indicators/all Renaults are sh!te/all Alfas are sh!te type of posts too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Being 'nagged' by the do-gooders : you are choosing to be nagged at - its a voluntary click and you dont have to read if you dont want to.
    Boards Motors is a broad church and everyone is entitled to their say - "How we go about keeping those(do-gooders) out" smacks of closed minds versus open minds rather than car enthusiasts versus carhaters.
    The level of vitriol/troll accusations/"mod lock the thread please" directed at those espousing observing the law suggests some are uncomfortable with the topic and would prefer not to be reminded of it.
    There is nothing incompatible with the stereotypical characterstics of the dogooder painted above and being a motoring afficionado.
    If some want to discuss painting their blue seats white then let them - if you want to discuss valve timings and crankshaft torque angles then do so also : they wont bother you. They certainly wont flame you for getting all petrolhead (there's a firey pun in there somewhere:D).
    Suggesting CO2/environmental issues are not part of a true motoring forum is just not with the times. Emissions and fuel efficiency is a fact of life these days. To suggest a true motorhead has no interest in such things is just stuck in the past - those discussing it are probably the more forward looking motorheads, not car bashers. (My current motor coughs out 212g/km. Im not worried by it, dont feel a need to apologise to anyone: but I dont object to those promoting cleaner engines either).
    Speeding - 'Dump it in a sticky' = " please mods, make the forum safe for me, so that i can read without worrying that I might stumble accross somthing I wont agree with on a topic I dont like discussing".
    Some of the topics mentioned do generate some of the most replied and read threads - somebody is interested and not just a 'loud minority'.

I wonder who a complete Boards Motors outsider would judge to really be on their high (more petrolhead than thou) horses?

Sorry guys(and the few gals), but sometimes you get my goat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

good post there sandwich. i did notice the undertone of mccarthy-ism.. ban the lefties.. ban those who give a toss about co2.. ban those who dont condone speeding.. etc

as I said earlier it'd be a fine forum if everyone stopped bitching.. but hey it's boards motors forum.. bitch central!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sandwich wrote: »
    Boards Motors is a broad church and everyone is entitled to their say - "How we go about keeping those(do-gooders) out" smacks of closed minds versus open minds rather than car enthusiasts versus carhaters.

I don't think speeding, or co2 emissions (in a non fiscal sense), or foglights or even anything concerning "driving" has a place in a "motors" forum.

Discussing issues such as whether mintex brake pads are better than OEM, whether the M3 is better than a 911, or indeed whether a Octavia 1.9 is a more sensible buy than an Auris 1.4 does.

I really don't want to read about cyclists complaining that motorists are driving in buslanes. I don't want to read about people who leave their foglights on at midday. It is not because I find it uncomfortable or disagree with it, it is because I just do not care, and I find such theads a waste of time. Afterhours is the place for such like discussions.

In short, I think motors should discuss oily stuff, or for those who like to keep their hands clean, oily stuff all polished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Just did my first lesson, driving is awesome.
    I can turn left and right. :cool:
    Out of the mouth of babes.....

I couldn't put it better myself:)

maidhc wrote: »
    I don't think speeding, or co2 emissions (in a non fiscal sense), or foglights or even anything concerning "driving" has a place in a "motors" forum.

Discussing issues such as whether mintex brake pads are better than OEM, whether the M3 is better than a 911, or indeed whether a Octavia 1.9 is a more sensible buy than an Auris 1.4 does.

I really don't want to read about cyclists complaining that motorists are driving in buslanes. I don't want to read about people who leave their foglights on at midday. It is not because I find it uncomfortable or disagree with it, it is because I just do not care, and I find such theads a waste of time. Afterhours is the place for such like discussions.

In short, I think motors should discuss oily stuff, or for those who like to keep their hands clean, oily stuff all polished up.

23458408.jpg

Couldn't have put it better myself. That's exactly what a "Motors" forum should be about.

I don't see all of us car enthusiasts going off spoiling the "Green Issues" forum with articles about CO2 being the greatest load of bullcrap(it is btw) or why the Greenies are all out to get us or whatever, and nor should we. I expect the same courtesy to be returned when I visit this forum, and it plainly ain't.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    au contraire, everyones opinion should be respected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I agree with the OP that there is alot of people on high horses and it gives me a pain in the neck looking up at them.

I realise that many here just want to talk about cars and engines which tbh I don't really have much of a clue about but I do have an interest in traffic law which is why I post here a bit. I'm not talking about persecuting people who travel a few kms over the limit in fact I am all for 'progressive driving' and I practice it myself. I try to keep my posts informative to people who want to know or maybe don't know what the Gardai do and our role in traffic management.

So my question Is this want the real petrolheads want? Do ye want a boardsie to be able to answer their questions on Irish policing or not?

TheNog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

VH wrote: »
    au contraire, everyones opinion should be respected

That depends on the definition of what's acceptable in a particular forum. TBH, Co2 levels for cars should almost be in the Green Forum, complaints about roads, rules of the road, etc, should be in Commuting and Transport. What would work a treat though, is if there were to be a General Motoring forum, and a Motoring Enthusiasts forum - where the two could diverge and flourish.
    TheNog wrote: »
    I realise that many here just want to talk about cars and engines which tbh I don't really have much of a clue about but I do have an interest in traffic law which is why I post here a bit ...
    So my question Is this want the real petrolheads want? Do ye want a boardsie to be able to answer their questions on Irish policing or not?

Well, if you were to ask me as an individual, I'd prefer if that sort of stuff were relegated to the Commuting and Transport forum. It falls under what *should* be their definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ned78 wrote: »

Well, if you were to ask me as an individual, I'd prefer if that sort of stuff were relegated to the Commuting and Transport forum. It falls under what *should* be their definition.

+1

Welcome back ned.

TBH, Co2 levels for cars should almost be in the Green Forum, complaints about roads, rules of the road, etc, should be in Commuting and Transport
    don't agree - co2 is a very salient topic in this country since vrt changes - never mind environmental stuff

if its car related it should be a fair topic without the vultures circling

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Speed Is Bad Party.

I want to see more threads about the following:

Only using first, third and fifth gear to save fuel

Coasting in reverse

How to do a hill start in a Mercedes which has a footbrake instead of a handbrake

Dump valve noise simulators

Where to get a puncture repaired on a Sunday

How to open the bonnet, and what's in there

Any thread started by Cormie

Bangernomics (not being sarcastic on this one)

@TheNog: Yes, you and the other level-headed members are welcome.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Speed Is Bad Party.

I want to see more threads about the following:

Only using first, third and fifth gear to save fuel

Coasting in reverse

How to do a hill start in a Mercedes which has a footbrake instead of a handbrake

Dump valve noise simulators

Where to get a puncture repaired on a Sunday

How to open the bonnet, and what's in there

Any thread started by Cormie

Bangernomics (not being sarcastic on this one)

ROFLs:D! IIRC I asked the question about the hill starting a manual Merc:D:o:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Do ye want a boardsie to be able to answer their questions on Irish policing or not?

TheNog
    Personally I'd lke some answers/discussion from the other side of the enforcement fence, not necessarily confined to this thread or even forum, but if you were up for it great.

It's part and parcel of driving, so there's no harm in knowing what ye are thinking as well as what ye are expected/required to do as part of your job

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Having read a lot of opinions here, it seems that there is a strong case to separate the oily stuff of 'motors' from the more general stuff of driving.

Personally, I don't see why the two can't mix in the same forum, it seems though that a lot of posters are being put off, not only by the high horse presence, but also by the proliferation of general motoring discussion. I don't believe that 'Commuting and Transport' is the place for these discussions either as it is more (and rightly so) to do with the complexities of getting buses or trains etc. and would hold little interest for driving enthusiasts.

Another thing to consider is that Motors in its current form is presently one of the most popular forums on boards and that has to count for a lot (in the eyes of the admins at least). It also has a disproportionate amount of bannings and feedback threads thanks to the excellent moderating team.

One solution I can see, as I may have said earlier, is to separate 'Motors' from 'Motoring' and let them go their separate ways. I feel that 'Motoring' would prove to be the more popular with general boards users looking for advice on how to renew their tax while 'Motors' could get on with discussing the relative merits of platinum vs iridium plugs and what viscosity oil to use in the winter.

Personally speaking, I would fit in to the 'Motoring' category for the simple reason that I used to get excited about taking engines to bits but nowadays I prefer to pay someone to do it and get on with enjoying the driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I realise that many here just want to talk about cars and engines which tbh I don't really have much of a clue about but I do have an interest in traffic law which is why I post here a bit. I'm not talking about persecuting people who travel a few kms over the limit in fact I am all for 'progressive driving' and I practice it myself. I try to keep my posts informative to people who want to know or maybe don't know what the Gardai do and our role in traffic management.

TheNog
    Personally, I always have an interest in what you or any of the other ES guys have to say.
    Is this what the "real" petrolheads want to talk about? probably not.

Advertisement