Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do-gooders....wrecking motors ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Quint wrote: »
    Get a MPH speedo in your car and pretend all the KPH signs are actually MPH. So do 120mph on the motorway, 80mph on the back roads etc, it's a good guide. Anything more is taking the piss, unless you're driving a seriously nice motor.

You would think that is funny to say, but in theory it's me down to a T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Agree with much of the post from steveC above and he kinda beat me to it.
    Combine classic and modified forums into one "Motors" forum for the true blue hardware petrolheads (as they see themselves) , and have another called 'Motoring' for all the traffic/ROTR/pollution/etc ancillary topics.
    Why it so galls the hardcore motors folk to hav both aspects in the same place (convenient and works fine for many) still eludes me tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

What proportion of posts by the hardcore are nevertheless on the very topics they are saying shouldnt be here. It seems to me they would prefer some subjects to be "out of sight,out of mind".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I don't think it's a good idea for people to claim to be Gardai when making posts.

It is illegal to make unauthorised statements about operational matters. And, in some cases that I saw some time back, I had to wonder if the poster was a real Garda as it seemed senseless to risk job, house and pension to give comfort to certain 'petrol-heads' who were cheering him on.

I'm not against Gardai expressing their personal opinions here as long as they don't try to 'pull rank' in a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

QED

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

esel wrote: »
    QED

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It is illegal to make unauthorised statements about operational matters... as it seemed senseless to risk job, house and pension to give comfort to certain 'petrol-heads' who were cheering him on

Is this the sort of high horse stuff the OP is talking about?

QED = that which was to be demonstrated! good one esel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

SteveC wrote: »
    Having read a lot of opinions here, it seems that there is a strong case to separate the oily stuff of 'motors' from the more general stuff of driving.

Hmm, as Peasant remarked, there wasn't a lot of support for one last time it was suggested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055293914

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have to admit I only occassionally visit this forum but don't worry I am not one of the do-gooders.
    Anyway I have noticed a few people on here of the type that are writing in/to newspapers, phoning talk shows or even running the RSA who keep hammering on about how speed is killing everyone.
    It is inappropriate speed, lack of driving ability, acting the maggot, poor roads, drunk and drugged up drivers that kills.

But speed is the easy one to target and besides you can actaully collect revenue doing it, so it's a win win for the government.

These are probably the same people that hog an overtaking lane, in order to police the roads, or keep a line of traffic behind them while they saunder along on top of white line doing 50mph (hate kph).
    They refuse to overtake because they might go slightly over the speed limit.
    If and when they do decide to overtake they don't go over the speed limit and of course they see themselves as the safest driver on the road when in fact they are probably a greater danger to the majority.

Most of these people probably have no interest in cars apart from wanting everyone to drive a 3 gear revlimited 1 litre where the throttle cable is removed. :eek:

Oh btw their new target are tractors on the road.
    Farmers and contractors in future will not be allowed on the road, they are going to have to build tunnels or find a way of levitating their machines between fields :rolleyes:
    Of course all these tractors must be wandering around the roads of Donegal, etc at 2 or 3 am causing all the road casualities ?
    Maybe they make silage in the dark up there ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tractors will always be needed - to spread the high horse manure.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Da-dum, tsssssssssssssssssssh!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hmm, as Peasant remarked, there wasn't a lot of support for one last time it was suggested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055293914

I never even heard of that and I bet 95% of everyone else in these parts were the same.

Maybe try again and sticky thread in the motors forum with a link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't think it's a good idea for people to claim to be Gardai when making posts.

It is illegal to make unauthorised statements about operational matters. And, in some cases that I saw some time back, I had to wonder if the poster was a real Garda as it seemed senseless to risk job, house and pension to give comfort to certain 'petrol-heads' who were cheering him on.

I'm not against Gardai expressing their personal opinions here as long as they don't try to 'pull rank' in a forum.

No garda claims to represent AGS when he posts here. All posts are opinion, garda or not. ;) Advice posted here is not to be taken as legal advice, and you know it is against forum rules to request such advice.

As for the OP, brilliant post.

Advertisement