Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio Vocal Mics...What to use,what to use

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Greetings people..
    So, I have some mics to choose from to record vocals for an album. Could be best described as a 'rock' sound I guess.. I'm throwing it out there to you guys as to what yall think would be the best combination(s). I know it's a general question..but what the hell!!

Mic - Soundtracs Analog Desk - EQ - Behringer Comps - Presonus Firepods

The line up =

Shure SM7B
    Shure SM57 / 58
    Rhode NT5 Stereo Pair
    Beyer Dynamic Opus 53
    AKG D112
    AKG C2000 s

What yall think guys?? And yes I am aware that there are many many factors....but hey....humour me

We wait in joyful hope.............................
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I'd try the SM7 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

The most important thing is the singer's voice and how suitable any given microphone is to it. Demo them all with the singer in question. Hopefully one will stand out over the others as being best suited to the job.

It's a bit like asking which tie pattern best suits a shirt. It depends on the shirt. It might be a great tie but if it ain't happening with the shirt in question it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

It's a bit like asking which tie pattern best suits a shirt. It depends on the shirt. It might be a great tie but if it ain't happening with the shirt in question it doesn't matter.

hahaha.... thats deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

The next mic i will buy is the blue bottle, sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

teamdresch wrote: »
    I'd try the SM7 first.

Me too ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

funny,
    I sold an oktava 319 mike joly mod to a folk singer guitarist yesterday

we tested his present mic ( t-bone valve mic) against the oktava

vocals = the oktava was darker and more midrangy - the tbone clearer
    we felt the tbone won for his voice

acoustic guitar - oktava was still darker , but had a real character to it that the tbone lacked .
    the oktava won on guitar .

so the point is - every source is differnet - so start with a known standard and infer from there what you should try next if it aint working .

you know even a sm57 or 58 might be good for rock vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

teamdresch wrote: »
    I'd try the SM7 first.

what he said, considering the mic pre anyway...

Advertisement