Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to design graphic / picture for t-shirt?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Was just wondering, if I were to design an image or graphic for a t-shirt, what specs would I need to meet?

ie. Does it have to be a certain quality and image type? I think for posters it has to be 300 dpi...

What would be the usual image size?

Any other pointers?

And also, where could I get it printed? A bricks and mortar store in Ireland? Or even an online store?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well it would depend on the graphic as you could do up something in vector graphics as opposed to raster graphics (curve fits vs pixels).

Your sig for example could be easily vectorised and consequently blown up to any size.
    There are lots of online t-shirt printers but I have no experience of them so I can't comment on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Cafepress are pretty easy to get along with... they've got size templates you can download and a reasonably good FAQ to boot. (may not be the best on price though)
    +1 on the vector suggestion, you can design now, and worry about the dpi later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers lads

Any suggestions for vector programs? I've seen Illustrator mentioned, but that seems to be in the $100's range... and I can't seem to "source" it from any other reliable source (legal of course... why am I rhyming so much...?).

I saw a free equivalent mentioned somewhere but can't find it now.

Is it hard to get used to vector programs? I have no formal training, and have just been using Photoshop in an amateur capacity for a couple of years for fun, etc.

Is it a steep learning curve? I shall be mainly learning from tutorials and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Dave! wrote: »
    I saw a free equivalent mentioned somewhere but can't find it now.
    http://inkscape.org
    Dave! wrote: »
    Is it a steep learning curve?
    I found it quite easy to get into and find my way around... the only limit is my lack of talent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers Donkeh!

I've been messing around with the tutorials on and off today

Seems straight forward enough!

But the thing I gather is most difficult with vector graphic editors is converting bitmap/raster to vector! Any ideas for this? I'm messing around with the program's 'Trace Bitmap' option and it's not easy to get decent results...

Yet there's obviously no shortage of images of people on huge posters, etc., so I gather it's quite possible to get good results? How do most people do it?

Cheers lad! tis not as difficult as I had feared!

I especially like the freedom with things like text, etc., and being able to move individual letters and the likes :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement