Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dice Man

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I presume there are a good few people on here who have read this briliant book!!!

What did ye think of it? I thought it was excellent and compelling stuff

What I really want to know is ----Has anyone read the sequal? Is it any good? Worth the purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought it was fantastic.

I'm half way through the sequel at the moment. It's decent enough and worth spending a tenner on, although I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the first book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I re-read the Dice Man last year, and enjoyed it as much the second time around, so the sequel is definitely on the shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It starts well and it's an interesting premise but he runs out of ideas too fast. Basically, he has the ability to do whatever he wants and always ends up having sex. The book could have done with losing a few hundred pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

the ending up having sex thing does seem a bit too frequently.

but yeah, good book, terrible 'cliff hanger' ending.

the second one is ok. not as good as the first one by a long way but worth a read. to anyone who read it already;
    what the hell was with the airport by the mountain in the dice community? i kept expecting it to be really significant but it never was! or maybe it was and i forget.. its been a while since i read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Read it many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I read it years ago too, and really liked it. I've read that the sequel is supposed to be quite poor. I did read another novel by luke rhinehart called the adventures of wim which was a very entertaining read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Read it many moons ago. A little overrated if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

great book, i thought i was really good. Weird kind of humor at times, but really enjoyable,

I didn't think that the sequel was very good at all. Seemed like an afterthought. Probably worth a read, just for the sake of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It starts well and it's an interesting premise but he runs out of ideas too fast. Basically, he has the ability to do whatever he wants and always ends up having sex. The book could have done with losing a few hundred pages.

+1
    So true. It was first recommended to me by a 21-year-old guy I worked with. If you're not a horny 21-year-old guy, I wouldn't bother...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Dice Man is an interesting idea, starts out well and then takes a major nose dive. See through the hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sloppydrunk

I liked the first one alot more.. the second one is still good and worth a read but the first is far better..

just wondering,,, did the books have any life changing consequences on anybody?? anyone ever try diceliving??

(i started making a few decisions with a coin but they mostly consisted of "should i have pizza or chips for my sunday dinner".. groundbreaking i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I was so excited when I found this book. What a new and amazing idea. At first the book was really engaging and you didn't really know where it was going to go. I'll echo other posters and say that all of a sudden the plot just died. IMO it would of been better as a short story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

+1
    So true. It was first recommended to me by a 21-year-old guy I worked with. If you're not a horny 21-year-old guy, I wouldn't bother...

Ah here, I've a copy I bought when I was 21 and haven't read yet. And now I'm 22.

Life is so harsh sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Ah here, I've a copy I bought when I was 21 and haven't read yet. And now I'm 22.

Life is so harsh sometimes.

aaw jeeze.. looks like you missed your chance to enjoy the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MadamMe

I got this book from a book swapping site online and it was pretty much free so i no less off (apart from several hours) for not really enjoying it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Got stuck in stansted airport for 12hours one winter and found the book in the bargin bin of the bookshop.
    It was OK read and passed the time nicely-its one of the books on the shelf at home that I can never seem to lend out to friends because of the publicity about it.

There is a fair bit of sex etc in it-but hay, thats what the public want.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BossArky wrote: »
    The Dice Man is an interesting idea, starts out well and then takes a major nose dive. See through the hype!

I totally agree. Boring, repetitive and too long imo, I really don't understand the enthusiasm for this book at all.

Advertisement