Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for Construction/household forums.

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area to post ,but its something that I'm not entirely sure about with regards to the working of boards.

Basically ,I think that the subforums (Home and Garden) that exist under the recreational heading would be better with their own heading ,be it Construction ,household or House/Home.

I would say the forums are missed a lot by a number of people who are intimidated by the amount of headings etc. It would be easier to extend the list then if needed to be.

Anyways ,just a suggestion.

Laters,
    Brian.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the past the controlling factors were (a) the limit in the width of the DHTML menu at the top of the page might be too wide for some screen resolutions and (b) there were a limited number of categories under Home and Garden. Accommodation & Property could also be moved in there.

I think that it could be revisited, although I'm not sure what it should be called.

Another possibility might be Travel & Transport to bring in
    Travel (Rec),
    Motors (Rec) - 7 sub-categories
    Aviation and Aircraft (Soc) - 1 sub-category
    Commuting & Transport (Soc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks victor ,I'm using all widescreens so I've always space up there:o.

Sneaky suggestion would be to put everything under Social ,with a main heading of Architecture/Household.
    That way it would be up the top and easier to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

For separate categories, I would go with something like below. See how the forum mods feel about it I suppose.

Construction & Planning
    ->Arch Tech
    ->Renewable Energies
    ->Woodcraft (think it would fit better here or maybe not)

Home Improvement
    ->DIY
    ->Electrical
    ->Gardening
    ->Home Appliances
    ->Interior Design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Forgot to mention ,I'm not trying to take over anything here. it just came to mind as a view point of someone that works in construction.

When you pass beer guts and receeding hairlines ,you think your in the wrong heading for getting windows or plumbing done.:D

Would something like an abreviation of residential maybe suit ?

Music \/ Rec \/ Res \/
    Accommodation -
    *Rental
    *3rd Level Rental

Home -
    *Architecture
    *Construction
    *Diy
    *Electrical
    *Home Appliances
    *Interior Design /Decor
    *Woodcraft

Hrm, 'Res' isn't very intuitive though. If there was space perhaps call it something like 'Build' or 'Home' or something.

Space wise I suppose 'Subbed' could be brought back to 'Sub' or 'Subs' which'd save two or three whole letters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Home" would be difficult as people might expect it to bring them to the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

311 wrote: »
    When you pass beer guts and receeding hairlines ,you think your in the wrong heading for getting windows or plumbing done.:D

BGRH sounds about right for most plumbers and window fitters I've come across. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would be very much in favour of having the forums rejigged a bit with possibly a new category created. A couple of good ideas from Victor and Ruu.

Oh forgot to add. I wish someone would change the Construction & Planning forum name to Planning & Construction in order to follow the natural process. Someone mentioned that it gives the impression of building first and then look about planning afterwards. We couldn't have that now ;)

Victor wrote: »
    "Home" would be difficult as people might expect it to bring them to the front page.

Hrm, true that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

A new 'Build' category sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

In favour of this as well... The Arch tech forum should be somehow linked to architecture too. Being a techie, i would say architecture is part of construction moreso than art, but i reckon many architects would disagree with me on that! *ducks*

But if you decide to leave architecture where it is (fair enough), I do think the home and garden title should be changed, considering its subforums.

Also, if you need more room on the drop menu

Boards.ie=Boards
    Adverts.ie=Adverts
    Subbed=Subs
    Region=Reg (hmm, maybe not)
    Science=Sci

Just my 2cents

I think Science was Sci up 'til recently. Or else I'm going crazyier...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I for one would welcome a rejig from our new alien overlords.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If you can rejig without adding a new top level category, ask your cat mod about the arrangements. They will get on to myself and Vexorg after it's been hashed out amongst the moderators within the category, then we'll find a way to get Dr. Cloud to look at it (he's the taxonomy guy) and see how it goes.

Thanks for thinking about things like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

When rejigging the home section, consider changing diy to home improvment. Many of the posts in there are not diy, and most of the posts moved there are not diy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'll just follow along with whatever the crowd recommends and take some of the credit afterwards :)
    Ruu wrote: »
    Construction & Planning
    ->Arch Tech
    ->Renewable Energies
    ->Woodcraft (think it would fit better here or maybe not)

Home Improvement
    ->DIY
    ->Electrical
    ->Gardening
    ->Home Appliances
    ->Interior Design

In all seriousness I like this suggestion :)

Advertisement