Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis to stop smoking!!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tbrma

saw you post as i was recommending tom tynan to someone for stop smoking. A friend who went for stop smoking also had a number of sessions dealing with anxiety (not sure what type) and she is now a new person, very positive and confident. She did say it wasnt a quick fix like smoking but worth it. Hope you found someone, if not toms no is 01 8530861

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Ok I know most of this thread is pretty old but what the hey

Odysseus wrote: »
    Hi Laurak, I'm a psychotherapist who is struggling to over come his addiction to smokes. However, on the hypnosis issue I would suggest caution. Because of my profession I have big issues about its practice, but that's more my professional opinion and this thread isn't about that.
    What I would say that in my opinion the quality of training in hypnotherapy in Ireland is very poor. I am very careful about who I allow to have influence on my subjectivity and with the quality of professional courses here in Ireland I would recommend to any friend.

On the above post all I want to say is it smacks of hypocrisy , “Psychotherapy” from a legal stand point is no more recognised under Irish law than Hypnotherapy

goz83 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you more on the quality and training here in Ireland. It is an absolute joke in many places but there are very reputable places to study Hypnosis. I am a Hypnotherapist myself and I studied for a diploma in clinical hypnosis with The Irish Hypnotherapy Association run by Susan Wallace.
    Of course you think every one else’s training is crap the course you took cost’s about 3 grand they where hardly going to tell you the others where great or even better then theirs

goz83 wrote: »
    I myself have set up a site for the public to access information and properly qualified hypnotists in Ireland. It's a slow process filtering the good from the bad but there is a good hypnotist near everyone needing one. look at http://www.irishhypnotistregister.com.
    And who are you to judge ??? Every company / person that offers training has their own register . Registers generally don’t mean any thing other than the people on it at some point paid a fee . The hypnosis industry is often like a school yard in regard to people slagging others off

Aryelle wrote: »
    And she's cheaper than most other hypnotists offering quit smoking with a 98% success. Best of luck.

98% is the bog standard success rate that is touted by every one in reality it is very hard to keep track of previous clients

Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy is the largest body of professionally trained Hypnotherapists in Ireland.

ICHP web www.hypnosiseire.com

ICHP Members List http://www.hypnosiseire.com/members 2008/members 2008.htm

There you can choose from over 250 Hypnotherapists.

Before attending a Hypnotherapist make sure they have the following in place.

Hypnotherapists Ethics Check List.
    • Completed a DCH, DHP or ADHP with a reputable training institution.
    • Is trained in Hypnoanalytical Psychotherapy.
    • Offers Brief Solution-Focused Hypnopsychotherapy.
    • Is a member in good standing of an established association, or the ICHP.
    • Abides by a Code of Ethics & Practice and is able to produce copy of the code whenever requested to do so.
    • Offer a free explanatory Brochure clearly covering the therapy and the cost procedures involved, duration of therapy. On this free explanatory Brochure to clearly print the following wording - "If a client has any genuine cause for concern then they have Immediate access to the ICHP Legal & Disciplinary Procedures Committee. Firstly they should produce a detailed outline of their grievance in writing and forward it to the ICHP HQ - Therapy House, 6 Tuckey Street, Cork City - enclosing all relevant information regarding their complaint"
    • Participates in ongoing supervision which is recorded on an appropriate form countersigned by the supervisor, and is able to produce an up-to-date copy whenever requested to do so.
    • Regards new members from June 2001 onwards - completed 450 Supervised client hours before ICHP Accreditation.
    • Covered by Professional Indemnity Insurance and is able to produce a copy of this certificate whenever requested to do so.
    • Is a registered hypnotherapist with the National Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy Register (IRL).
    • Offers a client / therapist contract.
    • Offers both Suggestion Therapy and Analytical Therapy.
    • Offers personalised Hypnotherapy audio tapes for outcome reinforcement.
    • The ICHP Post-Graduate Association is a member of the EAHP - European Association of Hypnopsychotherapists.
    • Participates in On-going ICHP Post Graduate Training.
    • Participates in ICHP Professional Development Programme (14 Hrs Annually).
    • Does not countermand the medication or treatment prescribed by the client's doctor.
    • Ensures that physical symptoms that require medical diagnosis and treatment be referred to a medical doctor before any therapeutic intervention is administered.
    • Has the contact details of their ICHP Association on their Explanatory Brochure including Website & Email e.g.
      Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy PGA

www.hypnosiseire.com
      hypnosis@iol.ie

At the end of the day no matter how much window dressing they put on it they are a private company that are only accountable to them selves .

I'm just one of these feck it i'll just do it people, any chance hypnosis could work for me. Have tried a few other things, all failed. tks
    Provided you would like to stop (which given that you have tried would indicate you would) and go there with an open mind and prepared to cooperate (ie you not going to sit there thinking “he wont be able to hypnotise me”) then yes
    Sue Zanna wrote: »
    Shes 300 euro...not cheap, most are 100 mrs cummins...with respect
    most are under charging

I forgot to add , If you are going to chose a hypnotherapist , value reputation/word of mouth above diplomas and registers every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Ok I know most of this thread is pretty old but what the hey

On the above post all I want to say is it smacks of hypocrisy , “Psychotherapy” from a legal stand point is no more recognised under Irish law than Hypnotherapy

Of course you think every one else’s training is crap the course you took cost’s about 3 grand they where hardly going to tell you the others where great or even better then theirs

And who are you to judge ??? Every company / person that offers training has their own register . Registers generally don’t mean any thing other than the people on it at some point paid a fee . The hypnosis industry is often like a school yard in regard to people slagging others off

98% is the bog standard success rate that is touted by every one in reality it is very hard to keep track of previous clients

At the end of the day no matter how much window dressing they put on it they are a private company that are only accountable to them selves .

Provided you would like to stop (which given that you have tried would indicate you would) and go there with an open mind and prepared to cooperate (ie you not going to sit there thinking “he wont be able to hypnotise me”) then yes

most are under charging
    +1 anyone can put up a sign and call themselves a psychotherapist and there is no proper complaint system for abuse of it. same for hypnosis.There is one 'teaching school' and if you contact them you get a load of copies of press reports of when he has been in paper with the info pack.tabloid hypnosis, would not trust any of tyhem

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Liverpool99

I went to a Hypnotherapist who lives close by and he tried twice to hypnotise me but fialed, needles to say i was not charged for the service.

It looks like i will have to pay a vist to the Doctor for Champax to give up smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Guy told me he went to a hypnotherapist to stop smoking. Hypno said several time "every times you see or taste a cigarette you will be sick and want to vomit". I asked if it worked. He said "no I smoke a pipe":D

I went to a Hypnotherapist who lives close by and he tried twice to hypnotise me but fialed, needles to say i was not charged for the service.
    Unless you where being uncooperative , or where extremely nervous (and I mean extremely ) then it was more than likely down to the hypnotists incompetence. (fyi any hypnotist worth their salt should be able to help with extreme nervousness with out using hypnosis)

Guy told me he went to a hypnotherapist to stop smoking. Hypno said several time "every times you see or taste a cigarette you will be sick and want to vomit". I asked if it worked. He said "no I smoke a pipe":D
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Hi I have never tried hypnosis to stop smoking, am afraid it takes real determination to give up and I managed to succeed after several attempts using nicorette patches, ( am now 5 years off the ciggs), however my friend used a hypnotherapist in Cork because she was finding it such hard going. Unfortunately for her she was not successful and is now back smoking....... so in answer to your question its hard to say it depends on the therapist and if you are really ready to give up and how determined you are to succeed..
    Good Luck

anigheh wrote: »
    Hi I have never tried hypnosis to stop smoking, am afraid it takes real determination to give up and I managed to succeed after several attempts using nicorette patches, ( am now 5 years off the ciggs), however my friend used a hypnotherapist in Cork because she was finding it such hard going. Unfortunately for her she was not successful and is now back smoking....... so in answer to your question its hard to say it depends on the therapist and if you are really ready to give up and how determined you are to succeed..
    Good Luck

I cant recall the study , but hypnosis does have a better success rate than nicotine replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi I am off the cigs a week now and used a hypnotist - Derek Cobbe in Longford - who I found really good.

The cravings are still there but the "habit" of smoking and the "triggers" are not, which makes it much easier to deal with. I don't WANT to smoke, so I am dealing with the physical nicotine withdrawal only, which is hard enough to be honest.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 kiferea

laurak265 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm so sick of smoking but i just can't seem to stop :mad: I was thinking of trying hypnosis...has anyone tried it or know someone it worked for? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Laura

Allen Carr book, only cost 13 euro in Easons AND IT WORKS!!!!!

Before tried hypnotherapy ( with Paula Cummins - waste of 300 euros), NRT, cold turkey, electronic cigs, herbal cigs- none of that worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marky23

hello together,

i have been hypnotized 17 days before and i can say :Its very good to stop smoking. i have no problems without cigarettes. I smoked 15 years.

i have written something about the hypnotize methode and about my session and the days after the session on my page http://www.zigarettenweg.de . But it is only in German. if you all want and write into my guestbook i will translate it.

but for all : it was a good idea to do this !

sorry for my bad english

best regards

mark

kiferea wrote: »
    Allen Carr book, only cost 13 euro in Easons AND IT WORKS!!!!!
    It will work for some people not all (i would love to know the % it works on)

kiferea wrote: »
    Before tried hypnotherapy ( with Paula Cummins - waste of 300 euros),
    The more I look into her the more basic flaws I see tbh I don’t want to go into them here but she seems not to even have her own website which is a basic for anyone with any type of centre :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oldgirl

Hi TBRMA

I am a vetern at stopping smoking - 42 years every new year, birthday, etc. I have tried it all hypnosis several times from 70 euro to 500 euro. Ear pricks 100 euro, something called resonance another 100 (complete waste). the longest I ever stopped for was a few days.
    I am now two months free from cigs and have no wish to smoke at all - so never give up hope
    I came across your recommendation for Tom Tynan on these boards and to cut a long story short booked a session 3 months later. Session was two hours but it was very fast. He dome some eye work that he is the only one in Ireland does. In 20 minutes he got to my emotional reason for smoking - I was blown away, skocked, cried, and then felt something lifted off my chest I finall knew why nothing else worked. We did other stuff and hypnosis. Walked out a bit shattered but knew I would never smoke again. Thanks tom and I highly recommend you to anyone. Please stop when your young I am sure I have done lots of damage but at my age every day counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oldgirl

tbrma wrote: »
    I am sure there are many good hypnotherapists out there at the same time it is better to go to someone who is recommended-I have travelled to Tom Tynan in Dublin, and so have many of my friends - all quit smoking in one session was 150 euro not sure if it has changed.

I hope you find this post as I really cant figure out where to put anything on this site. I have sent a thank you somewhere else and cant find it myself. So went to tom tynan and the whole experience was something else just brilliant 42 years later I am smoke free so thank you for taking the time to post a recommendation.

Hmmmm Oldgirl or should i say Tom , RET is old wine in a new bottle, saying no one ele in ireland is using it is like renaming a spade and saying no one else is using one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

What is it about this site that when someone claims to have had a positive someone else thinks they are the hypnotist trying to promote themselves? I came on here for help and some good recommendations but I am totally confused and frustrated:mad:
    So far I have three names that I think might be able to help me - Tom Tynan, Larry McMahon and Paula Cummins - but I don't know if any are genuine or worth going to. Can someone give me a genuine and honest opinion that I can trust:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Shazanne wrote: »
    What is it about this site that when someone claims to have had a positive someone else thinks they are the hypnotist trying to promote themselves? I came on here for help and some good recommendations but I am totally confused and frustrated:mad:
    So far I have three names that I think might be able to help me - Tom Tynan, Larry McMahon and Paula Cummins - but I don't know if any are genuine or worth going to. Can someone give me a genuine and honest opinion that I can trust:confused:

I posted about my experiences about 6 months ago. I don't know how to link an individual post here, but if you search back on this forum to 20 April this year you can read my story.

Despite my comments in the 2nd message I've since found out that one of them is still in business. Feel free to pm me and I'll send you the details.

I'm not a hypnotherapist myself - if you check on my posting history you'll see that I probably post in the Taxation forum more than anywhere else.

What is it about this site that when someone claims to have had a positive someone else thinks they are the hypnotist trying to promote themselves?
    that’s not the case , what is the case is that if some one creates an account and the only posts that account makes are promoting the same hypnotist people tend to find something fishy about it

I cant say i have looked in to the other two but i would stay well clear of Paula Cummins ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tom Tynan

Tom Tynan here, recently got an e-mail forwarded to me from a client with respect to the above comments from Crotalus. My initial thoughts were that anyone who makes comments and judgements hiding behind a user name does not warrant comment, however I will clarify a few points that I feel strongly about.

Ø I strongly advise my clients for their own sake not to make comments on therapy sessions on social network sites or forums such as this whether the comments are positive or negative. However a small number have put comments on facebook or sites like this, which is their prerogative
    Ø I have a well established practice of over twelve years, my business is thriving mainly based on referrals and I certainly do not need advertising stunts to promote it.
    Ø As regards your comments on RET – check certified members list on www.rapideyetechnology.com and you will see I am the only certified practitioner in Ireland
    Ø RET was developed by Ranae Johnson in US over twenty five years ago (old wine). It is completely different to other techniques I have studied such as EMDR or EMI. or nlp eye techniques. The only connection is that eyes may be used to induce rem. The process has been continually researched and developed and certainly is far from a rebottling of some old hat concepts. I have no personal attachment to the process except that it is one of the most effective methods I have studied. You might have a better spade that works for you – great.
    Ø The danger of forums like this is that people can make comments judgements often in ignorance or with personal agendas and basically say what they like and readers take it as read.
    Ø If someone cannot put their name to comments and judgements then maybe its time to ask why? If you are a therapist and need to hide who you are in order to have a voice then I would respectfully recommend you do some supervision or self work.

Ø For anyone looking for a therapist please go on word of mouth and not on recommendations or otherwise from unknown people

I am amused on reading a previous comment “The hypnosis industry is often like a school yard in regard to people slagging others off” - I don’t think I need to comment, so just grow up and get out of the yard!

Interesting choice of user name–!!From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crotalus Common name: rattlesnake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi Tom,
    Very interested to read your comments and equally interested to find someone who is prepared to stand over what they do. I consider myself to be a difficult case with regard to giving up smoking for a number of reasons that I wont go into on this site, for fear of being ridiculed or (worse still) told I am a lost cause.
    Do you feel that you could help me? If I thought you could I would travel to wherever you are, anywhere in the country, to get the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tom Tynan

please call 018530861 or e-mail as I would rather not use this forum

Tom Tynan wrote: »
    My initial thoughts were that anyone who makes comments and judgements hiding behind a user name does not warrant comment, however I will clarify a few points that I feel strongly about
    Who’s hiding behind a user name ??? If you go threw my past posts I am identifiable (there should even be pictures of me) is there some thing you would like to say ???
    I strongly advise my clients for their own sake not to make comments on therapy sessions on social network sites or forums such as this whether the comments are positive or negative. However a small number have put comments on facebook or sites like this, which is their prerogative
    one does have to wonder why one would say that:rolleyes:

I certainly do not need advertising stunts to promote it
    Making up a profile does not make the grade as a stunt , getting yourself on the front page of a national news paper is a stunt
    and you will see I am the only certified practitioner in Ireland
    Did i claim otherwise ???

It is completely different to other techniques I have studied
    I high lighted the important bit

and readers take it as read.
    We are all adults here most of us have the ability to judge the worth of statements based on their variables (you seem to give the members little credit)

If someone cannot put their name to comments and judgements then maybe its time to ask why?
    I do believe I have all ready answered this , however I will add ,just about every person on this board does not use their real name for various reasons , if you are going to reject all they say based solely on the fact they have a user name different than their real name you need to try learning how to look at things objectively

Interesting choice of user name–!!From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crotalus Common name rattlesnake
    There is an interesting story behind that (as I have explained before ),

Given that you spent the best part of that post ranting against a flase hood (which to be honest was a non starter even if I was not identifiable) who do you think needs to grow up ???

Advertisement