Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum barrel lenght for shotgun.

Options
  • 06-08-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here tell me what the minimum barrel lenght for a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun is?
    Also is this the lenght that the barrel extends from the fore-end or the actual total lenght of the barrel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

In the context of the restricted list, a shotgun barrel must be not less than 24" (60.9cm). Any shorter than this and it's a restricted firearm. Any repeating shotgun must be incapable of being loaded with more than three cartridges, otherwise it's restricted.

The firearms acts state that the shotgun barrel must be not less than 61cm, but the restricted SI is more precise.

There is no definition in the acts as to how to measure barrel length but one would imagine that it's from the chamber to the muzzle (including any choke). Anyone else got a definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fat-tony wrote: »
    In the context of the restricted list, a shotgun barrel must be not less than 24" (60.9cm). Any shorter than this and it's a restricted firearm. Any repeating shotgun must be incapable of being loaded with more than three cartridges, otherwise it's restricted.

The firearms acts state that the shotgun barrel must be not less than 61cm, but the restricted SI is more precise.

There was debate about the length issue 24" verses 61cm (pre-restricted list). To be honest, I don't think there is any point making a an issue out of it. 24" in to nearest CM is 61. Thats why it was used, there is little point going much lower than that as the variation on a shotgun after a few shots (it gets longer) will affect it.

There is no definition in the acts as to how to measure barrel length but one would imagine that it's from the chamber to the muzzle (including any choke). Anyone else got a definition?
    I imagine the the length of the barrell piece. As in if you measure it when the gun was broken or separated. (in relation to DB shotguns

Bare in mind that restricted doesn't mean illegal.
    And that the over all length being below a set length (I think 60 inches) could mean the firarm was classed along with pistols. Cat A-D etc (this is the EU reg where most of the restricted list was lifted from)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I suppose for lenght specification you can quote the manufacturers description. If for example Beretta states that a gun has a 30" barrell nobody is going to bring you to court when the actual measurement is more like 29.997".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mellor wrote: »
    Bare in mind that restricted doesn't mean illegal.
    And that the over all length being below a set length (I think 60 inches) could mean the firarm was classed along with pistols. Cat A-D etc (this is the EU reg where most of the restricted list was lifted from)

It's 60cm. 60 inches is five feet :D. Some pistol you got there boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

fat-tony wrote: »

Standard method is from the breech face to muzzle including any permantly attached muzzle device.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rrpc wrote: »
    It's 60cm. 60 inches is five feet :D. Some pistol you got there boy...
    You think that going to the trouble to make it bold I would of paid attention, but no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

So less than 60 cm will NEVER be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mayhem# wrote: »
    So less than 60 cm will NEVER be allowed?

In theory, if you could make an argument for something shorter, you could be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I don't think that's right. If it doesn't fall into non-restricted or restricted then it's hard to see how it could be licensed; there is no licensing route provided. A barrell under 60.9cm is heading towards sawn-off territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The Firearms Acts are quite specific about the minimum length of a shotgun barrel so you would definitely be in "sawn-off" territory.

I've clipped a couple of relevant sections:

12A.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who shortens the barrel of—
    (a) a shot-gun to a length of less than 61 centimetres, or
    (b) a rifle to a length of less than 50 centimetres, is guilty of an offence.
    (2) It is not an offence under subsection (1) for a registered firearms dealer to shorten the barrel of a shot-gun or rifle to a length of less than 61 or 50 centimetres respectively if the sole purpose of doing so is to replace a defective part of the barrel with a barrel of not less than 61 or 50 centimetres, as the case may be. ........

.... (6) It is an offence for a person (except a registered firearms dealer) to possess without lawful authority or reasonable excuse—
    (a) a shot-gun the barrel of which is less than 61 centimetres in length, ..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement