Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

goireland.com Photography Awards 2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Conditions -

11. Candidates will retain copyright in their submitted entries. However, by entering the competition the candidate grants to Gulliver Ireland and Nova Rentacar Reservations Limited a royalty free, irrevocable, perpetual, assignable licence to publish and use the entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity purposes. In particular the candidate licenses Gulliver Ireland the right to feature their photograph on the GoIreland.com web site. The candidate waives all moral rights they may have to the photograph as a condition of entry.

While you retain copyright, they can do anything they want with the image, and transfer it to anyone they want, for ever. Ok, for publicity purposes, but even still.

why can't they have some fair conditions, that they'll only use your image for 1 year publicity, with no assignable license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Paulw wrote: »
    While you retain copyright, they can do anything they want with the image, and transfer it to anyone they want, for ever. Ok, for publicity purposes, but even still.
    why can't they have some fair conditions, that they'll only use your image for 1 year publicity, with no assignable license.

In fairness, most amateur photographers will go out and take a photo specifically for this competition and not worry about who retains the license to use the photo. i know that is the case with myself anyhow.

*Edit* - i do however think it might be an idea that the conditions above only apply to winners of the competition and unsuccessful entrants retain full copyright and intellectual property rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

return flights for 2 to Dublin, 3 nights accommodation with breakfast for 2 people in any of the Carlton Hotels in Ireland along with car rental for the duration of the stay.

not exactly awe-inspiring prizes either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Oh ffs people come on. Every time somebody puts up a link to a photo competition, the same arguments get re-hashed. In this case the OP even pointed this out (in a 2 year old thread!)

Okay, so maybe:
    a: it is a way for these people to get access to lots of images for free to use as they feel.

b: the prizes aren't up to a huge amount.

c: it will put some people off because they don't retain full and total control over their photo forever.

d: etc....etc...etc...

But the fact is that it's a competition aimed at amateur photographers. That's people who go out taking pictures becuase they enjoy going out and taking pictures. People who enjoy the odd comment on their photos by other people. People who would actually like to show people their picture in a fancy calendar with a high distribution and say "See that. That's mine!"

For me, and I'm sure for a lot of other people here, I've never actually sold a photo, and I'm unlikely ever to sell one. That's not the point. I'd just like to hang a calendar on my wall with one of my pictures in it.

If your goal as a photographer is to make money out of it, fair play. I know professional photographers, they work hard to earn their living, and I wouldn't want to think of people taking their photos without permission. But for me, if I enter my photo in a competition then I'm happy with the rules.

So basically what I'm saying is, can everybody just accept that these photo competitions are a way for some people to have the chance at getting their 15 mins of fame, and let that be it.

Sorry, I'm just a bit bored with the same argument over and again. Maybe we can get it as an FAQ "So I see this competition, what are my options".

Anyway, I'll get back in my box:o

[ /rant. ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Well said! Totally agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

meowwww

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

did they ever announce the winners of this competition? I recall the closing date was early December. I entered a few photos but heard nothing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Car4

I emailed GoIreland and they replied that, due to so many entries, they were still judging. They said the winners should be announced by the end of February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Car4

Of course, now it's almost mid-March and still no winners announced. Does anyone else have any information on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

LOL. Now maybe people will see this for the sham it plainly always was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

i believe the winners have been contacted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Winning photos are up on the site now, see the winners 2008 on the left hand side of the page.

Advertisement