Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5L Mini Beer kegs (Not the Heineken one!)

• 06-08-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Right, got the Home Beer Tapping system there a few months back in Lidl and have been trying to locate the Mini kegs for it since but there not that popular around the Midlands (or anywhere!). Lidl and Aldi had a few in however there all gone at the mo and not sure when they'll be in again.

Its this type of Keg...

180px-N16700030_30460916_1129.jpg

Not a fan of Heineken and it doesnt fit the tap anyway!!

Anyone know where they are available? and what kinda beers can be got in 5L Keg form?
    Are there any online shops that sell em? Preferably ones with reasonable shipping?

Cheers...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've seen Krombacher in these in SuperValu. You can also get the Franciscan Well's Rebel Red in them, but only from the pub in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've seen Krombacher in these in SuperValu. You can also get the Franciscan Well's Rebel Red in them, but only from the pub in Cork.

Cheers BeerNut, just sent the Franciscan well an Email to see if they have any suppliers close to the midlands where I could try it out.

BTW, love yer blog. Its excellent, Keep it up! :)

Only Keg I can seem to find online that ship to ireland is Schlenkerla Smokebeer!!!
    Click

They ship it in 5L Kegs, 2 kegs for 50 euro, shipping included.
    I'm a little iffy about spendin 50 quid on a beer that I might not like though!!

Anyone taste this stuff before?

slayerking wrote: »
    It's chuffing gorgeous, but really not for everyone. Imagine drinking a glass of smoked ham. It's exactly like that.

Good beer off licences in Ireland usually stock it in bottles, if you'd like to try before you buy. Alternatively, wait for Aldi and Lidl to restock, which I'm sure they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Only Keg I can seem to find online that ship to ireland is Schlenkerla Smokebeer!!!
    Click

I'm a little iffy about spendin 50 quid on a beer that I might not like though!!

I love smoked beer, but 5l might be a lot to get through in the time before it goes off if you not into them

• Advertisement

Cool, I might keep an eye out for a bottle of it and try it before I take a plunge and order 10L of it!! :eek:

Think I mite move to somewhere in central Europe where these kind of kegs are plentiful!!!! :cool:

Cool, I might keep an eye out for a bottle of it and try it before I take a plunge and order 10L of it!! :eek:

Think I mite move to somewhere in central Europe where these kind of kegs are plentiful!!!! :cool:

This smoked Marzen is available in a few good beer off licence around Dublin, Redmond's is one

Also the bull and castle have it, if you want to try before you by

schlenferla_marzen.jpg

Tesco have BitBurger 5l kegs every now and again.

Tesco Nutgrove had 4/5 of them yesterday anyway.

Tesco have BitBurger 5l kegs every now and again.

Tesco Nutgrove had 4/5 of them yesterday anyway.

I've seen em in Tesco alright a few times but not in the last ages. Well thats in tesco in Longford anyway. They stopped gettin em in.
    Longford isnt the best place for quality beer in general, only the 'bog' standard stuff really!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Click

I'm not sure you can legally get alcohol delivered from overseas without a licence. Let me know if you manage it.

• Advertisement

If it's for personal consumption you can, but you may be liable to pay Irish tax and duty on it.

There are a couple of company's out side of Ireland that will ship beer to private individuals

I'm not sure you can legally get alcohol delivered from overseas without a licence. Let me know if you manage it.

Still have to try the smoke beer, Haven't found an Offie with it yet!
    If I like it I probably order the kegs of it.
    Ill let ye know how I get on if I do order em.

Still have to try the smoke beer, Haven't found an Offie with it yet!
    If I like it I probably order the kegs of it.
    Ill let ye know how I get on if I do order em.

The bull and castle near Christ church have it if you are around

oblivious wrote: »
    The bull and castle near Christ church have it if you are around

Probably be in town on Thursday at some stage, might pop in to Redmonds or Bull and castle to get some smoke beer and a few other beers.

Which offie has the best selection or are they much the same?

The bull and castle is a pub, but the drink store, Manor Street, Stonybatter maybe be nearer or is always Redmonds of Ranelagh

Might be worth ring ahead to check they have them?

Managed to get my hands on a bottle of the Schlenkerla smoke beer there over the weekend. Got a bottle in redmonds.
    Its an interesting beer but I dont think I could drink more than 2 bottles of the stuff. So dont think Ill be buying the 10 litres of it!!!!

I must say Redmonds is an excellent off licence. Great selection of top beers. Had ALOT of beers that I had been looking for. I'll definitely be returning at some stage.

I must say Redmonds is an excellent off licence. Great selection of top beers. Had ALOT of beers that I had been looking for. I'll definitely be returning at some stage.

They are very good alright:)

FYI for anyone lookin for these kegs......

Found this German website...... Bierpaket

They have a range of different types of beers in those 5 litre kegs at around 10-14 euro a keg and you can get up to 4 kegs shipped to Ireland for 21.90 euro.

So if you order 4 kegs you get them for roughly 17 euro a keg which is fairly good.

Anyone any tips on any of the beers they have in the kegs, nice ones etc?:)
    The only one I think I've tasted is Schlenkerla smokebeer!!

Ye might need a website translator plugin to read the page!!!:pac:

I have had Merkendorfer Weizenbier before and thought its was nice, there dunkel or Schwarzbier looks intresting

• Advertisement

Just ordered a few bits off them there to try them out......

1 x Hartmann Erbschänk Schwarzbier 5L keg

1 x Hümmer Hirschen-Trunk 5L keg

1 x Püls Bräu Krone Pils 5L keg

1 x Mahr's Bräu Pilsener 5L keg

Came to just over 70 euro (17.50 a keg)!!

It'll be interesting to see what the Hirschen-Trunk and Schwarzbier are like.

Mmm... 20 liters of beer!! Hopefully there'll be no problems with duty on them!! Not sure what the law is on ordering that much beer!!! Fingers crossed they get in under the radar!! :pac:

Advertisement