Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 on PC!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kaimera wrote: »
    Bumped up some settings and took a benchmark

High textures & 100% vew distance and got the following

Now I have no game sound except for the car/apt radio! -.-
    that happened to me the other night too, haven't played since though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

I bought this yesterday. I feel like ive been mugged. Never buying a rockstar game again.

It took ages to install with all the DRM for a start.

The thing crashes at every opportunity it gets.

I use a rockfire usb converter for my PS2 joystick. It just goes around in circles.

When i quit the ganes my screen goes blank and i have to hard reset my PC.

The driving is terrible with the keyboard. If it worked with the bloody joystick i would use it.

All in all and advert for piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Screw this, cant use it for more than 10 mins without all the graphics disappearing and me running about on what looks like water. Even after the updates and beta grpahics drivers.

Hatehatehatehate.

This is on a Quad core Intel
    4gb RAM
    Dual 512mb 8800GTs
    Vista.

Wonder if I can get money back via steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I was considering upgrading my PSU and getting a 4870 1GB to play this but it looks like it mightn't be enough! PATCH PLS!!
    I turned everything down, 800x600, zero on all the sliders, low textures and I can only play for half an hour before the framerates start to get choppy, ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm really starting to hate this game.

I could just about live with the random slowdown to single digits FPS, which makes any kind of chase mission almost impossible since there's no way of telling how fast you're actually going - you think you've slowed, go into a corner, and skid half a mile past it cos you're still going way to fast.

Then there was the way I started it over Christmas when I was away with no web access, and played a fair chunk before discovering I couldn't access achievements without an online GFWL account. So had to start again from scratch when I got home.

And the moronic way that if your net connection glitches while you're playing, you get instantly logged out of GFWL and can't save anything, have to log back in again and start from your previous save.

Does the "Rockstar Social Club" actual serve any useful purpose whatsoever? Beyond clogging your machine up with yet more junk?

Crashing to desktop after a long session with an "out of video memory error" - presumably there's a memory leak in there somewhere, shoddy development.

And that's before you get to the actual bugs - getting to the very end of the "Three Leaf Clover" bank robbery mission, coming up the stairs out of the subway and realising one of the morons with you is stuck in the subway tunnel, have to go back and get him, come back up the stairs and get killed by all the cops who have now arrived at ground level, and who are shooting me through the walls.

They've taken what could have been a very good game and turned it into a steaming pile of dung.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree totally,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I actually held off for this game to come out so I could order a new pc:o
    I have yet to try multiplayer online because every time I log on it kicks me out for some reason. The urge to play the game for up to 4 or 5 hours is not there, I can manage about 1 1/2 hrs before I get bored & enter a few weapons cheats & just go on a rampage. Even thats not as much fun as it used to be.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's started a new trick now, occasionally skipping cutscenes. It is possible I'm accidentally hitting something to skip it, but I'm now physically moving away from the keyboard as soon as I enter the flashing yellow thingy, and it's still happened 3 times so far. And since anyone who's posted any cutscenes online anywhere has had them removed, I'm missing out on the storyline - e.g. enter the Libertonian to do a deal, then there's 20 guys shooting at me. And I've no idea why. Or the whole 'Weekend at Florians' - I walk in the door, then instantly walk out, and Roman's blatheiring on about some guy I've never heard of.

Only option is to exit the game, start it again, and hope it works this time. :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I went to play it for the first time in weeks yesterday and found that patch waiting. No improvement and now my sounds messed up. Turned the game off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

it crash's on me strait after the first two legal screens after i start the game "Gta iv has stopped working" cant figure out whats happening have tried everything i could find on the net but alas it just aint happening

steam version
    vista x64
    i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
    6gb of ram
    sli gtx 280s (have tried disabling sli but no joy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Grim. wrote: »
    vista x64
    i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
    6gb of ram
    sli gtx 280s (have tried disabling sli but no joy)

:eek: Jesus how much did that set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Grim. wrote: »
    but alas it just aint happening
    Your username is apt for your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

kaimera wrote: »

Installed this patch today. Graphics are now ****ter than before. :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

havent had a problem since i took memrestriction off. apparently resource usage is 896/489 :S getting 35 frames on high spec since the patch :)

Installed this patch today. Graphics are now ****ter than before. :mad:
    tell me about it :(

seems to have made my manual settings worse but if I set it to auto graphics it seems a bit better but nothing great.

could be the new patch that has me unable to finish the last story mission :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

Was tempted into buying this at the weekend by the 33%-off deal on Steam. So far it's been a pretty mixed experience. The installation / multiple registration / multiple login crap is infuriating, and completely pointless. It drives me mad when companies force you to log in to their own little systems - none of them do anything that Steam can't already do. If it isn't going to work through steam alone, then don't sell it on Steam.

After all that, I loaded it up, and it froze during the opening cut-scene intro sequence, and I had to do a hard-reset. This happened a couple of times, and after looking online, I found a few others had the same problem - but there was no obvious solution. Seems to be an issue with Radeon cards. I've downloaded the latest drivers and got the GTA patch (automatically through steam). As I have the patience of a saint, I tried again, and skipped the intro, and the game worked fine, mostly. Runs very smoothly with the recommended settings (everything maxed except textures) at 1650 x whatever it is.

My system is a 3ghz core-duo, 2gb ram, Radeon 4870 HD.

But, it has now crashed twice in-game, both times just after stepping outside Roman's apartment - same deal - have to do a hard reset - which is highly annoying. The screen turns to a kind of checker-board between two frames, and the sound clips and repeats infinitely.

On the plus side, multiplayer seems like a laugh - 16 v 16, or 8 v 8 v 8 v 8 is great fun. Anyone here play much? Any boards GTA multiplayer gangs?

Overall though, far too much glitchy crap, and unnecessary complications from a company that should know better.

officially giving up on GTA4.

the last story mission I just an unable to finish due to some glitch not allowing me to get into the chopper. I could go back and chose a different ending but ffs, I shouldnt have to.

this is after the second patch. boo R*

ati cats 9.1 released there at the end of Jan.

help anyway with GTA4 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm enjoying the game (about 40% complete and all the areas open as of yesterday) - got it as a Christmas present, installed it a few days later, am 40% complete and have very little graphical or other issues, it runs fine on my machine on high settings.

Vista64
    Q6700
    4GB Ram
    GTX 260

Nothing overclocked.

I installed the new ati drivers. There seemed to be an improvement, I had turned off the fps software it was just depressing I'll have to try again.

I think my graphics card is overheating though. The game keeps stalling. It's still working but the picture never changes, alt/tab and ctrl/alt/del are doing something but the picture on screen never changes. It's a passively cooled card. Hasn't happened with any other games but the heatsink was burning hot to the touch. It was at 80c after the restart. Will have to get another fan put into the pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i took off mem restrictions and bloom, getting about 50-60 odd average on high spec. looks great!

WTF is wrong with this game?!

It had finally become somewhat more playable with the new drivers and patches then I turn it on yesterday and it's all messed up in a new way. It's one step forward two steps back with this piece of ****.

It's like the reflections or highlights are just black. It's fine indoors but as soon as you look outside this black c4rap goes over everything.

I hope it hasn't fried my graphics card.

If anyone else is getting this problem ALT/TAB doen't fixd it

change the reflection and shadow settings (to anuyghting~) amnd it works again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just got it there yesterday. Poxy thing needs XP SP3, which took the best part of a day to install. My PC's a bit on the low spec side (2.4ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram, Nvidia 8500GT 1024mb, but this thing takes the piss. Best FPS I can get is 14. I wouldn't mind but Crysis works fine and so does FSX.

Anyone have any ideas about how to get it running at a reasonable speed?

get a decent graphics card. 8500GT is below average. a 9500GT or higher would boost a couple of fps without breaking the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

So whats the general concensus on this now. Is this game (with all the updates) going to work on a decent PC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

So whats the general concensus on this now. Is this game (with all the updates) going to work on a decent PC ?

I have it running real nice on a moderate machine...

2.4Ghz Dual Core
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    8800GTS 512MB

There was a lot of hiccups at the start but now its fine.

aye i have it on max settings with distance and everything on about half. looks fantastic compared to the consoles.

Averaging about 50 fps, peaked at 70, lowest i've recorded is about 43 (there was a lot of explosions and cars on screen :P)

Im on 4GB DDR2, Q6600, GTX 260, Vista 64 bit. Nothing overclocked, will overclocked the CPU and GPU later to give more benchmarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I might pick this up soo. I was going to get it in january but hearing all the bad reports put me off. If its settled down now i think i'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I installed this yesterday and it worked perfectly for the first 2 hours (i.e. no gfx problems). Then the shadows started to become grainy and these strange triangles/polygons appeared out of the side of cars and peoples heads. I restarted several times but it made no difference. I rebooted and it worked again for about 5 minutes.

I upped the fan speed to make sure it wasn't an overheating GPU abut it didn't make much difference. I have no way of finding out if this is just a problem I have or if it's linked to all the other gfx problems that people are having...

Core2 Quad Q6600
    ATI Radeon HD4870
    2 x 2 Go PC2-8500

Advertisement