Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 on PC!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

As GTA 4 is a "Games for Windows" title and the multiplayer will be handled via the PC version of Xbox Live does this mean that you have to pay to play multiplayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Scram wrote: »
    As GTA 4 is a "Games for Windows" title and the multiplayer will be handled via the PC version of Xbox Live does this mean that you have to pay to play multiplayer?
    GfW is free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'd just like to second the steam comment, if you've got broadband now try it again... hl2 is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Thirded. Great program riddled with flaws in its early days. Not a bother now.

I really hope this isnt a Vista only game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Thirded. Great program riddled with flaws in its early days. Not a bother now.

I really hope this isnt a Vista only game.

Aye Steam is great but it seems the prices arnt always. Play.com prices are cheaper for new titles so buyer-be-ware i guess. But i lik ehaving all my games in one place plus theres no messy re-installations to do if you have to format Vista etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Any more news on GTA4? I've heard we're going to get a fancy replay system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's been delayed until December 2nd, and the specs have been released.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409944

I'm trying steam again, pain in the hole. It's been so long since I used steam I don't have the old email address. I remember a time you put the cd in the drive and the game worked. steam is a big pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm trying steam again, pain in the hole. It's been so long since I used steam I don't have the old email address. I remember a time you put the cd in the drive and the game worked. steam is a big pain in the hole.

In fairness, it's not steams fault that you don't have the old email address.. sounds like you need to attempt to reclaim your "hijacked" account (all other account reclamation tips involve the emails it seems). As far as I can see, if you can provide a photo/scan of the serial key printed on the box, you should be able to prove ownership of the account and retrieve your log in credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

It's been delayed until December 2nd, and the specs have been released.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409944

as much as that kinda sucks that we have to wait few weeks for it, its probably better for me as I can play it with a guilt free conscience over the christmas hols and not worry about study ;)

• Advertisement

In fairness, it's not steams fault that you don't have the old email address.. sounds like you need to attempt to reclaim your "hijacked" account (all other account reclamation tips involve the emails it seems). As far as I can see, if you can provide a photo/scan of the serial key printed on the box, you should be able to prove ownership of the account and retrieve your log in credentials.
    It is all their fault. I'm not required to have an email address for any other games I buy in the shop. If I bought HL2 new would I still have to go through this?

If you buy a new copy/serial you could register it with a new Steam account. Or, if you contact support with proof that you already own a copy (scan of game serial/whatever) they can probably advise you as to how you can gain access to the steam account it is registered to. If you ever planned to get the Orange Box, you would get a copy of HL2 with that anyway, so you could create a new Steam account that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Hello all,

Given that Gta is to be released on the 2nd of Dec, Why haven't they posted the MIN & REC system requirements on the official site.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Pages/grandtheftautoiv.aspx

They are leaving it very late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Has there been any previews of the PC version. All I keep reading is it's on it's way but no details on any improvements.

If pre-purchase on Steam now for $50 you get a free copy of Vice City.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/

Pretty sweet deal, Vice is my personal favourite of the series so far (haven't played 4 yet). I even got 100% completion back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

last time I bought on steam, I had to pay us tax rates also. At the current exchange rates $50 is working out at €39. play.com are taking preorders at €35 with free shipping. Not sure if buying from steam is better value but vice city is pretty tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I wonder how this will look on pc, judging by the vey old 7900GT for minimum requirement I'm guessing they haven't improved the graphics by much. Remember the PS3 version was only 640p upscaled to 720p. Who wants to bet this will look shíte at 1920x1200. Any screenshots or pc trailers available yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I wonder how this will look on pc, judging by the vey old 7900GT for minimum requirement I'm guessing they haven't improved the graphics by much. Remember the PS3 version was only 640p upscaled to 720p. Who wants to bet this will look shíte at 1920x1200. Any screenshots or pc trailers available yet?

But wasn't that because it was cheaper to just use a low-end graphics card then simply change the res with a cheap linear scaler?

I'd imagine (assuming you have a gpu up to the task)
    that the visuals should be pretty good. Anyway we all know that released specifications have to be taken with a pinch of salt:)

One week to go (unless it's the 4th)!

Just so I'm clear on this. I can go out and buy a standard xbox 360 controller and use it on my pc after downloading the drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I bought a PS2 for GTA San Andreas and managed to play for a bit before getting headwrecked by the controls and heading back upstairs to my PC.

So I then went and did the same thing and bought a PS3 for GTA4 and only lasted an hour before heading back upstairs to PC land. At least I still have the benefit of watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray tho'.

Anyhow, i've preordered and judging by the specs, my P4 3.6ghz PC with a Nvidia 8800gt should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Just so I'm clear on this. I can go out and buy a standard xbox 360 controller and use it on my pc after downloading the drivers?

make sure it's the wired controller you get. Otherwise you'll have to buy a dongle for the wireless one.

Vista will already have the driver

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Vista will already have the driver
    Not for the wifi dongle tho; you'll need to connect to Windows Update and it'll download the driver for it.

^^on x64 vista anyway; maybe 32bit is different?

If its an official Microsoft product then it should, I'd be very suprised if it didn't. Vista has ipod drivers....... although its a little stupid, I had to show it the system32 folder for it to find the ipod driver, but it was there

I just installed the dongle again [official MS one] and it had to go to windows update.

I wasn't arsed with the driver disk.

GTA4 PC - 32 player MP

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=320451

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Ok so The last GTA I played was San Andreas for PS2.

GTA 4 Looks pretty good.
    The questions I have are:

1. What will multiplayer be like? 16-32 players runngin around the city..etc? Different modes? Races? Explain multiplayer to me please, this is the main reason why I want it. It would be great hijacking other players out of their already stolen cars...etc

So you dont actually need vista, woohoo!!!!;)

how is there copies on Ebay from Uk when its not out in eurpope yet. Did they buy em off americans and are now sellin em on ebay from europe?

Its confirmed to have SecuROM which will be present in the Steam version as well

Source

Rockstar Talks GTA IV PC DRM
    - Activation via Internet (1x per system, no limits, Fallback for systems without web access)
    - Copy protection Securom: The original disc is required for playing (Execpt: Download version of GTA 4, for example from Direct 2 Drive)
    - Requirements for playing (singleplayer): Games for Windows Live account for saving/achievements (1x free creation), original disc, Securom runs in the background
    - Requirements for playing (multiplayer): Active internet connection, Games for Windows Live account, For uploading videos: Rockstar Social Club Account.
    - If you don't have web access or don't want to connect your gaming PC to the Internet, Rockstar wants to offer a not yet specified system to activate GTA 4 via another PC with web access. Details are supposed to be available on launch.
    - For the normal GTA 4 (PC) version with disc installation, activations are unlimited. But the original disc is required for playing.
    - This does not apply for legally downloaded versions of GTA 4: Depending on the vendor the following is possible: Five parallel installations with the possibility to revive a "free” installation, if an old installation is deleted. For this purpose the customer has to have web access with the PC GTA 4 is installed on.
    - Those playing GTA 4 with an illegally hacked version have, according to Rockstar, to fear that the game will not be fully playable.
    - If you change two major components of your PC (like the graphics card or the CPU), you will possible have to reactivate GTA 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- Those playing GTA 4 with an illegally hacked version have, according to Rockstar, to fear that the game will not be fully playable.
    I loled at these this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭frozenbullet

YAAAAA WHOO hoo GTA4

Advertisement