Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 on PC!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

am i right in saying that theres 4gb of memory being used with the i7 processors too? thats not good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

am i right in saying that theres 4gb of memory being used with the i7 processors too? thats not good

Just starting up Vista shows 1.7 gig of RAM in use, that's not a reflection on GTA there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

hmmm.... im not too sure on that tbh. i have vista myself, 1gb max on startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My Vista uses 1.5GB ticking over. Maybe the person with the i7 is using ram as pagefile, some create a 2GB partion on ram as a hard drive partion. Doubt very much its the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Can only run the game on Low detail and view distance 28 at 800x600 and thats with the new beta drivers linked a page or two back. The game is still playable, although it would be nice to get the full bang out of it looks and performance wise ! I didn't think it'd be that demanding, gives me an excuse to upgrade though :)

Took me AGES to figure out how to start multiplayer, they don't exactly tell you very much about it on the social club site, or in the manual. Even when I got the servers up I could never join one, one particular 32 player server had 30 in it so I'd click on the game which had yellow or green bars and it'd say "Starting game" then load for about 10 seconds, then back to the server menu with no error or message saying what went wrong. Other times I'd get "disconnected from server" when clicking on any other server.

After two hours of trying to connect to any game at all I gave up and went to bed.

Anyone else have these problems ? Hopefully the patch fixes it (whatever the problems may be!). Also, anyone have a change list for the patch ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Multiplayer seemed to work fine for me. Laggy though, and it doesn't seem to have any kind of local prediction like you get in most modern shooters - i.e. you headshot someone with the sniper rifle and it doesn't affect them because they've moved a fraction of an inch. The whole process of getting friends into your game seems to be a bit arseways too, I really prefer the way Steam does it - allowing you to invite them even when they're not actually already playing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭KilOit

i got the game at the weekend and i get about 40fps on max settings but i have a wierd graphic glitch, buildings in the distance are all grey at times and sometimes a strange sheet of grey covers the ground, i have no slow down and the drivers are all the latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

KilOit wrote: »
    i got the game at the weekend and i get about 40fps on max settings but i have a wierd graphic glitch, buildings in the distance are all grey at times and sometimes a strange sheet of grey covers the ground, i have no slow down and the drivers are all the latest

Thats meaningless without listing your specs........:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Got it delivered today, and I'm hoping thru' some rare unknown bug i'll get 60fps out of my P4 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

delly wrote: »
    Got it delivered today, and I'm hoping thru' some rare unknown bug i'll get 60fps out of my P4 :pac::pac::pac:
    God speed to your sir! :D

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »

Not a hope of that running it, honestly. I've a 2.4Ghz C2D with 8800GT here struggling with 1280x1024. Good luck with your paperweight. Sell it if You can before You use the serial
    KilOit wrote: »

Not max settings, not possible I'm afraid. I'm getting that graphical glitch as well tho, I thought it was fog, but I've got it a few times.

Is the MP worth buying for? I'm having fun with the single player and it runs quite well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Craigmagu

i got gta 4 for pc an its runnin grand, not bad like, cant remember watch d fps is though, can play at a view distance of 43 when hav screen set to 1280x800 (72Hz).
    only thing is i cant get my xbox 360 controller ta work for me :( only got it ta play this game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

With Vista the Xbox 360 wired controller should work fine as it finds a driver for it be defaults. You will need to manually obtain the driver for XP. If you have a wireless controller I think you need a different driver again.

any ideas where id get d drivers?? ive gotten d one of d microsoft website but its not workin, usin xp and wireless controller, was near tinkin of givin up for a while, mayb jus get a ps3 an play on that :P

got it workin an much easier playin wit d controller :) happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ATI catalist 8.12 is out, it's meant to give a significant performance boot, I'm downloading it now - http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/

What we need more desperately is that patch that microsoft are STILL certifying!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What we need more desperately is that patch that microsoft are STILL certifying!! :mad:
    yes, make a mad face @ microsoft...it's their fault the game is bug ridden...heaven forbid they certify the patch to try eliminate the problems. :rolleyes:

kaimera wrote: »
    yes, make a mad face @ microsoft...it's their fault the game is bug ridden...heaven forbid they certify the patch to try eliminate the problems. :rolleyes:

i wasnt taking a dig at microsoft :confused: i was just stating the fact thats its been in their hands since the weekend and still no news about the patch release from R*....

Microsoft have a proven track record of taking forever to certify stuff like this on xbox live too. I remember the Burnout Paradise free DLC stuff taking several weeks to be released on Xbox live after it was already available on PSN because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i wasnt taking a dig at microsoft :confused: i was just stating the fact thats its been in their hands since the weekend and still no news about the patch release from R*....
    ah my bad.

bad start to the day here :/

kaimera wrote: »
    ah my bad.

bad start to the day here :/

its ok i stiill love you! :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Finally got it installed on the laptop, tried it with the 'autodetected' settings (medium textures, high rendering , shadows at about 8, first two sliders in the 20's) - and was getting about 10 fps. Dropping to 7. Great piece of autodetecting, that.

Dropped textures to low and a few of the sliders by 5 or so, and I'm sometimes getting in the mid-high 20s, although it will occasionally slip into the teens at night.

Haven't seen any graphical glitches (only playefd a few hours though), but really need a few more fps to make it comfortable. Given I'm above the min specs , I'd expect it to be a bit more playable out of the box. I'll try updating the drivers tonight and see if it improves.

I think that since the beginning of time, "minimum" specs on PC games have been utter fabrications :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Stephen wrote: »
    I think that since the beginning of time, "minimum" specs on PC games have been utter fabrications :pac:

True, but given I can run FarCry 2 at reasonable settings, I would have expected the same from GTA if it wasn't for the shoddy optimisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MOH wrote: »
    True, but given I can run FarCry 2 at reasonable settings, I would have expected the same from GTA if it wasn't for the shoddy optimisation.
    Shoddy engine, more like it, built primarily for two particular sets of hardware.

the_syco wrote: »
    Shoddy engine, more like it, built primarily for two particular sets of hardware.

the DS and the Amstrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, some of the textures look very grainy! And some of the textures are popping up after a few secs!

Take a look at the attached pic!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Actually isn't it Microsofts fault for multiplayer not working for users who have 64bit Vista as Games for Windows Live does not support 64bit currently. Also while the 64bit issue will probably be fixed bare in mind that all countries can use Live and so they have no chance for multiplayer at all. Also I've heard that Microsoft have a lengthly certification process.

py2006
    That isn't grainy textures thats shadow dithering. This was apparant on the Xbox 360 version but not on the PS3 version. It is less of an issue on the Xbox 360 as the blur filter is on by default and people would be playing much futher away on the TV so its not as noticable. The effect is less pronouced the higher you set your resolution too according to the developers. This is supported by reports by Eurogamer of upscaling the Xbox 360 version to 1080i/1080p and then noticing an improvement in the dithering effect at the cost of increased aliasing.

Other games to apparantly suffer from this where Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 and MotorStorm on the PS3. Apparantly this method of rendering shadows is used to save resources that regular shadowing techniques use.

As for the texture pop up that is a glitch and will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Also for generally clarification according to Rockstar the reason anti-alaising is not supported by the game engine (Rage) is the engine uses deferred lighting. Apparantly deferred lighting and anti-aliasing only work together in DX10 which they opted not to do for the PC version so they could concentrate on improving the DX9 version. While most people assumed the PS3 version never had any anti-aliasing enabled, alot of people claimed the Xbox 360 version had 2xAA enabled but it was never officaly confirmed by Rockstar and this seems to debunk that claim. It should be noted the Xbox 360 version had a 20% higher resolution than the PS3 and that the two console versions used a different blur filter which may have accounted for the Xbox 360's version less aliased picture and the PS3 warmer looking colours.

Now here is the settings the consoles would be set to as confirmed by Rockstar so you can compare to what your getting on the PC. Screen tearing was noted as a minor issue on the Xbox 360 version due to Vsync being variable.

Xbox 360 resolution 1280x720 (Vsync variable)
    PS3 resolution 1152x640 (Vsync on)

Textures Quaility: medium (note the Xbox 360 version used high resolution textures for number plates)
    Render Quailty (Anisotropic Filtering): low

Draw Distance: 21
    Detail Distance :10
    Traffic Density: 33
    Shadow Density:0
    Blur Filter enabled (Press P in game on the PC to enable)

The frame rate was recorded by Eurogamer as between
    26-35FPS on the Xbox 360.
    23-29FPS on the PS3.

Incidently the widescreen gaming forum noted almost flawess widescreen support for the PC version with full support for 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. The only slight issue was some stretched items when browsing the games internet. Should be noted the cut scenes are in-engine designed for 16:9 displays so people using 16:10 monitors will get less horizontal picture than those with 16:9 displays.

• Advertisement

Wow, I'm noticing a serious increase with 8.12 Ati driver, 10+fps, seriously. Somebody else please try it and prove me right. I have Ati tray tools onscreen display giving me the percentage gpu load as I play and it dropped dramatically with this driver. I've increased settings & the game is very playable 30-45fps (not seen under 30 yet in day/night or rain).

I'm running my settings in a script which is just a notepad named commandline.txt and placed in the GTA folder. Here's my settings:
    -width=1920
    -height=1200
    -renderquality 2
    -shadowdensity 8
    -texturequality 1
    -viewdistance 20
    -detailquality 35
    -novblank
    -norestriction
    -nomemrestrict
    -fullspecaudio

Here's a list of them all from the readme, -norestriction has no "s" on the end its wrong in the readme
    Tools:
    -benchmark: Runs the benchmark tool and immediately exits game.
    -help: Display list of all command line options

Graphics:
    -renderquality: Set the render quality of the game. (0-4)
    -shadowdensity: Set the shadow density of the game. (0-16)
    -texturequality: Set the texture quality of the game. (0-2)
    -viewdistance: Set the view distance of the game (0-99)
    -detailquality: Set the detail quality of the game. (0-99)
    -novblank: Disable wait for vblank (No Vsync)
    -norestrictions: Do not limit graphics settings
    -width: Set width of main render window (default is 800)
    -height: Set height of main render window (default is 600)
    -safemode: Run the graphics in the lowest setting possible
    -frameLimit: Limit frame to interval of refresh rate
    (ex If refreshrate is 60HZ –frameLimit 1 = Locks down to 60HZ)
    -refreshrate: Set the refresh rate of main render window
    – Warning - Monitor must support (ex. –refreshrate 60)
    -fullscreen: Force fullscreen mode
    -windowed: Force windowed mode
    -availablevidmem: Set amount of physical Video Memory(ex. –availablevidmem 0.9)
    -percentvidmem: Percentage of video memory to make available to GTA

Audio:
    -fullspecaudio: Force high-end CPU audio footprint
    -minspecaudio: Force low-end CPU audio footprint

System:
    -noprecache: Disable precache of resources
    -nomemrestrict: Disable memory restrictions

Advertisement