Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 on PC!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

the_syco wrote: »
    Any info what the patch does?

Does fcuk all from what I see, no changes for me, this is what they say it does:

The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

* A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
    * Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better FX during replays
    * Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
    * Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
    * Overall savings to memory
    * Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
    * Multiplayer character settings are preserved
    * Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

Besides the patch we’ve also improved the way the Social Club handles data this should have greatly reduced or eliminated the MMA10 error. If you are still receiving this error after logging in and out of Social Club we would like to know as much info as you can about it.

Edit: Just had another go there and my minimum FPS is a little higher and the game feels a little smoother after this patch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

okay... the patch has been installed.... and guess what?

the sound effects have gone. up and left. i really cannot believe this!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I got the patch and it did not fix the texture pop up glitch I had which is my primary issue, if that gets resolved than I will have no real issue with enjoying this game. Patch did not seem to do alot bar give me maybe 1-2 extra fps.

Also although its not included in the patch notes they also said on an interview with some gaming site the patch would fix the mouse issue with the bowling mini game.

projectmayhem
    As for it not being better than the console version. Well I have to disagree. While its not as much better as I would like from a graphical perspective, considering the rig I have, it still is better. I can enable better settings at a better resolution than the console versions. You never ran GTA 4 on your console at 1080p, thats incorrect the console version ran at 1280x720p on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 version ran at 1152x640(upscaled to 720p) you merely upscaled it to 1080p which is not the same thing as proper 1080p support. However with the PC version, I can go to 1080p and it is playable at the same settings the console versions are. Granted the consoles version did not have textures bug which I see maybe for 10 seconds in every 15 minutes of gameplay, but I'm hoping will be patched out soon, but the consoles will be always be stuck at the same graphical level. Okay I have to wait longer to play the game without major issues but I have other games to play so I'm not too annoyed. As for having to a revert to a controller its not an issue, keyboard and mouse controls are prefect but If I wanted to hook my PC up to a HD TV and play from the couch I have option of using any controller by it Xbox 360, PS3 or any other third party controller. I don't understand what your issue with controllers on PC is exactly, if they work the exact same as consoles. I mean we don't have the option of hooking up a keyboard mouse to play any games (bar UT3 on the PS3) on a console the best way to play FPS games and the consoles never get knocked for that. The PC is all about versatility. I played the game on the PS3 and enjoyed it so I'm not saying the console versions are disaster, its just the PC version will have a slight edge on once the bugs are sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

got the sound working again. and yes. the pc version does look better than the console version :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Wow, another fairly average looking game that chugs along even when all the settings are at the lowest and it looks like poo.

Unfortunately the dumb masses will spend thousands on l33t hardware upgrades rather than returning the game and demanding a full refund, so developers will continue churn out poorly optimized games safely in the knowledge that their product will still sell like hot cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

having audio syncing issues myself since the patch :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well the game is not going win any beauty awards but I don't think it looks that bad. The game does have very impressive physics and its a large world without screens so you would not expect to have visuals matching say Oblivion (which is around the same size) which of course has load screens and much more obvious pop up effects.

I take it you have the game galwayguy22 and you assement is playing off your own rig?

I doubt with perception the game has at the moment it will sell like hot cakes on the PC.

restart the game a few times. sound sorted itself out :confused:

restart the game a few times. sound sorted itself out :confused:
    hmm..i'll give it a bash later.

pints time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wow, another fairly average looking game that chugs along even when all the settings are at the lowest and it looks like poo.

Unfortunately the dumb masses will spend thousands on l33t hardware upgrades rather than returning the game and demanding a full refund, so developers will continue churn out poorly optimized games safely in the knowledge that their product will still sell like hot cakes.
    So... you think at low settings it'd look good? As for 1337 hardware upgrades... Thinking the latest games should run a single core P3 is wishful thinking. New games run on new hardware.

• Advertisement

the fella above claims it runs at nearly 20fps on a p4. soo... well... thats not too bad. i flashed the bios on my old motherboard, 2.4ghz,512mb ram, radeon 9600, got cod:waw working at 50 frames on lowest settings running fine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

So... you think at low settings it'd look good? As for 1337 hardware upgrades... Thinking the latest games should run a single core P3 is wishful thinking. New games run on new hardware.

Did you mistakenly quote my thread because what you’re saying has no relevance to what I said at all.

I said at the lowest settings, like all games, it looks ****. The problem is that it also runs ****, while looking ****.

Did I mention anywhere in my post about a Pentium 3? The simple fact is that people who have Quad Cores and GTX 280 are experiencing the same disappointing frame rate and general "jiggidyness" as me, with my X2 5600+ and HD4850.

All you have to do is look at games which have been released around the same time as GTA VI to determine how it SHOULD run. Far Cry 2, Fall Out 3, COD 5 run great (45+ fps), while also looking great.

Obviously the game mechanics differ from game to game but they are all using the same rendering techniques and are practically all written in the same programming language.

RockStar have actually said the game is made so that it is "future proof", i.e. intended to run on hardware that does not exist at the moment. Not only is that impossible, but it's just marketing bull**** to hide the fact that it's a **** port.

The only reason a game would require massive amounts of CPU power is if every NPC had their own life cycle, thoughts and feelings and there was mad statistical analysis of the game world churning away in the background.

In GTA IV's case, the high CPU requirement is because it's a poorly developed / executed peice of software.

RockStar have actually said the game is made so that it is "future proof", i.e. intended to run on hardware that does not exist at the moment. Not only is that impossible, but it's just marketing bull**** to hide the fact that it's a **** port.

The only reason a game would require massive amounts of CPU power is if every NPC had their own life cycle, thoughts and feelings and there was mad statistical analysis of the game world churning away in the background.

In GTA IV's case, the high CPU requirement is because it's a poorly developed / executed peice of software.
    Woah, calm down. I forgot to add smilies to my post. The game is far from future proof, as the engine is useless. One thing we'll both agree on is when "future-proof" Crysis came out, it ran on yer (not ye yer, but a general yer) P3, as well as on the lastest rigs. GTA4 runs badly on everything :D:(

Ok, heres the first mod to appear, it gives the cars their real names
    LIST

Admiral - Lincoln Town Car
    Airtug - Ford Tug M1
    Ambulance - Chevrolet Braun Expres G3500
    Banshee - Dodge Viper
    Benson - Peterbilt 330
    Biff - Kenworth T-800 Dumptruck
    Blista Compact - Honda CRX
    Bobcat - Chevrolet Express
    Boxville - Chevrolet Step Van
    Buccaneer - Chevrolet Impala
    Cavalcade - Cadillac Escalade
    Cavalcade FXT - Cadillac Escalade Ext
    Chavos - Honda Accord
    Cognoscenti - Maybach 62 S
    Comet - Porsche 911
    Contender - Ford F-150 ext
    Coquette - Corvette C
    DF8-90 - Saturn Ion
    Dilettante - Toyota Prius
    Dukes - Dodge Charger
    Emperor - Infiniti Q45
    Esperanto - Chevy Malibu
    Faction - Buick Grand National
    Feltzer - Mercedes SL
    Feroci - Lexus GS
    Fortune - Ford Thunderbird
    Futo - Toyota Corolla Levin
    Habanero - Lexus RX350
    Huntley Sport - Range Rover Sport
    Infernus - Lamborghini Murcielago
    Ingot - Volkswagen Jetta
    Intruder - '06 Infiniti Q45
    Landstalker - '06 Lincoln Navigator
    Lokus - Lexus GS
    Manana - '76 Buick Electra
    Merit - Chevrolet Impala
    Minivan - Dodge Grand Caravan
    Moonbeam - Chevrolet Astro
    Mule - Mitsubishi FH100
    NOOSE Cruiser - Ford Crown Victoria Police
    NOOSE Patriot - Hummer H2 Police
    Oracle - BMW E66
    Packer - Kenworth K100
    Patriot - Hummer H2
    Perennial - '06 Honda Odyssey
    Phantom - Peterbilt 379
    Pinnacle - Nissan Maxima
    PMP 600 - Chrysler 300
    Police Cruiser - Ford Crown Victoria Police
    Police Patrol - Chevrolet Impala Police
    Premier - Chevrolet Cobalt LS
    Presidente - Cadillac CTS
    Primo - Cadillac Allante
    Rancher - Ford Bronco
    Rebla - Mercedes ML
    Ruiner - Chevrolet Camaro
    Sabre - Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Sabre GT - Chevrolet Chevelle SS
    Schafter - Mercedes Benz S65
    Sentinel - BMW M3
    Solair - Mercury Sable Station Wagon
    Stalion - Chevrolet Chevelle
    Steed - Ford Econoline Delivery Truck
    Stratum - Honda Accord Wagon
    Stretch - Lincoln Town Car Limousine
    Sultan - Subaru impreza
    Sultan rs - Subaru impreza tuning
    Super GT - Aston Martin DB9
    Turismo - Ferrari F430
    Uranus - Ford Mustang
    Vigero - Dodge Challenger
    Vincent - Mitsubishi Galant
    Virgo - Mercury Cougar
    Voodoo - Chevrolet Impala
    Washington - Lincoln Continental
    Willard - Buick LeSabre

gtaivexe0.jpg

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, heres the first mod to appear, it gives the cars their real names
    Does it improve the graphics (of the game)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You quoted the answer - it changes the car names. When you jump into a car, a different name will pop up.

TPD wrote: »
    You quoted the answer - it changes the car names. When you jump into a car, a different name will pop up.
    ... ye gig big smartass :P I meant does it fix any of the graphic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

... ye gig big smartass :P I meant does it fix any of the graphic problems.
    It doesn't, obviously!

Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

sigh. got it working at nearly 40fps on high settings last night after it patched itself, buuut... the game crashes at a certain road :S i drive up the hill... cant remember where, and it crashes, EVERY TIME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sigh. got it working at nearly 40fps on high settings last night after it patched itself, buuut... the game crashes at a certain road :S i drive up the hill... cant remember where, and it crashes, EVERY TIME.
    That kind of happened to me too. Everytime I pulled up outside romans it would crash. I kind of expected it with the 4 crc errors I had during install. I re-installed the game and only had one crc error during install. Game worked perfect (after patch).

I'm getting between 20 - 30fps outside while driving which is ok. Settings are,

1280 x 1024

High
    High

v.d - 20
    d.d - 39
    v.d - 29
    s.d - 8

736/1001

The cpu load never drops below 90% the gpu never goes above 70% average seems to be around 50% load.

No problems now, game's not crashing on me anymore. It's allot more enjoyable than the playstation version I played, was playing it last night from about nine, next time I looked at the clock it was five in the morning. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Finally got a decent graphics card.

Game now plays very nicely indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

What processor?

getting quite a bit of tearing going on and texture pop-in today :/

I let the game auto bench the graphic settings and then tweaked them a bit. Arse anyway, back to finding a nice balance I guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The real car mod is an essential mod. Makes a big difference in gameplay knowing what i'm driving.

kaimera wrote: »
    having audio syncing issues myself since the patch :(

:mad:

not ****ing happy about this at all.

the audio is fine for a bit but if i skip a mission cutscene I hear the speech when I'm out of the cutscene and then all the audio after that is fubard...tire screech from cornering is drawn out for 10+ mins while i'm driving...ffs R*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I noticed my performance max level has dropped by about 2mb, wtf ? Haven't noticed any real good change in the performance. Get this weird gfx glitch when ever I enter that new fancy apartment, its like a layer of grey about shoulder height for a split second when I ever I move the camera at a certain angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

yay finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm very tempted to buy a new cpu. It would max out my motherboard but I'm half thinking I should buy it now while the moneys there, God only knows how we'll be fixed in the new year.

Would I notice much improvement going from an E6600 to Q6700?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That type of jump would be money out the window imho. Unless your gonna get a 25%+ increase in performance by spending euros on equipment, then i'd rule it out.

Advertisement