Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp room - advice?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Hey, the gf recently moved into a new place - it's a fairly old cottage in the christchurch area. The place is great etc etc, but the bedroom itself is damp, moisture on the walls being especially noticeable after a night's sleep. Unfortunately I coudn't tell you much about the construction of the house itself, but was just wondering if anyone can suggest some ways to eliminate such a problem? I know we could get a de-humidifier, but is this the best way?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Moisture on the walls is most likely condensation, especially if it appears on outside walls. The warm moist air in the room is cooled by the wall and the vapour in the air condenses out to form droplets.

Improving the insulation of the outside walls will greatly assist here, and also save heating bills. Also, increasing room ventilation will help prevent the air in the room from becoming saturated, and hence reduce the condensation forming.

You also need to rule out other issues such as rising damp which would point to a faulty DPC, or leaks due to problems with either the plumbing or rainwater ingress from the roof, walls, doors windows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Air circulation is best at tackling damp ,thats like air coming in from the front and leaving the back.

Check the windows and doors ,if they're new ,they should have vents built into them.

Other than that ,check the walls at the front and back for vents. Might be easier to locate them from outside as they might be papered over inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'd say it's a problem with ventilation alright. Also the bed is raised about 5 ft so it's about a metre below the ceiling, which could also be a factor.

Advertisement