Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've tried everything (port forwarding XBL)...

• 06-08-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Alright I've been on XBL for about a month now and after finally getting connected and all that I still can only connect to about 10% of GTAIV online games and 0% of COD3 online games. I've tried port forwarding and used various guides (resetting my settings after each try) and still I can't get my NAT setting not to say "Strict" and for me to be able to connect to games properly.

I'm pretty able for computer/tech stuff like this but now I'm completely stumped. I'm using an Eircom Netopia router downstairs and my PC is communicating with this via some no name wireless adapter upstairs in my room.

I've connected my XBox to the PC using the Ethernet cable provided with the Xbox. I've set up static IPs on both my PC and my Xbox. I've used PortForward.coms guide. I've disable wireless security. I've added the NAT custom services and enabled them and still nothing. If anyone has any workarounds or any advice in general I'd love to hear it. I also tried some guy on heres port forwarding 360 guide also to no avail so right now my Xbox network settings are set to Automatic. I've entered the details correctly manually and still nothing. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It could be the quality of your line. What is your ping like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

grizzly wrote: »
    It could be the quality of your line. What is your ping like?

Speedtest.net says between 50 and 60. I check every couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What level is the router firewall set to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Try setting your routers firewall to low on the gui.

I'm not sure how safe it is, but just give it a go and see if it changes anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP here's what you do.

You setup IP passthrough. Load up your router's admin page:
    http://192.168.1.254/
    Then on the left hand side click on "expert mode"
    The on the left hand side click on "configure"
    Then "Advanced"
    Then "IP Passthrough"
    Then pick the hostname or the IP address and click on the enable button
    Then reboot the router.
    That should definitely work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

make sure you have UPNP enabled!!!

go to ur router page/ click expert mode/ click yes/ click configure/ click conection/ scrool down and check the UPnP box..

Right firewall was always turned off so that can't be it.

I enabled IP Passthrough and used my PC as the host and this didn't work but its still enabled just in case.

I done the NAT services using the preloaded settings in the router (didn't even know they existed I put them in manually).

And uPNP is enabled.

Still nothing. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you are with Eircom then you need to input the PPOE settings on your xbox

In the XBox's Network Settings go to PPPoe Settings and switch Configuration to "On". Enter username as "eircom" and password as "broadband1". Ignore the Service Name part. Then just go back out to main menu and hit Xbox Live and it should connect now.

If that username and password doesnt work try eircom@eircom.net and password as eircom but the above should work fine.

Axwell wrote: »
    If you are with Eircom then you need to input the PPOE settings on your xbox

In the XBox's Network Settings go to PPPoe Settings and switch Configuration to "On". Enter username as "eircom" and password as "broadband1". Ignore the Service Name part. Then just go back out to main menu and hit Xbox Live and it should connect now.

If that username and password doesnt work try eircom@eircom.net and password as eircom but the above should work fine.

I'll do this now chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Change your router firewall settings to low...that worked for me...plus cod3 and gta4 are the worst games to try online...i had the same problems with cod3 even with nat open and gta4 online seems very poor for me and a few friends,a bit too laggy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

If you could connect your xbox to your router directly by using the ethernet cable or using the xbox wireless adaptor I could give you my exact settings. They work. I actually have uPnP DISABLED and my NAT is still open.

NADA wrote: »
    If you could connect your xbox to your router directly by using the ethernet cable or using the xbox wireless adaptor I could give you my exact settings. They work. I actually have uPnP DISABLED and my NAT is still open.

I can't do either. I'm not paying 60 quid for another wireless adapter and my router is way downstairs about 50ft away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Geff wrote: »
    I'll do this now chief.

have you tried this Geff along with opening the required ports on portforward.com??

What results are you getting testing the network connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Not sure if this will help but I managed to get my NAT from Strict to Open over the weekend. It took me quite some time on and off over the last year to fianlly get it top open so I thought I'd post about it.

First off... its a "Zyxel p-660-HW-T1 v2" adsl router.
    Its fixed line 3mb broadband from O2.

I had been trying static IPs. I had tried reserving the IP/MAC Address on the router. I had done port forwarding....the lot basically.

In the end it was way WAY simpler.

Basically. DO NOT give you XBOX a static IP. Leave it at auto on the 360 network config.
    DO NOT reserve the IP/MAC Address (because obviously you won't now know what it will be).
    DO not Port Forward (again you won;t knoe what IP to forward to anyway).

And finally ... Turn on UPnP. Thats it.

No DMZ either (although my router doen't have this anyway).

Hope this helps someone as I spent ages getting this figured out and it sure as s**t wasn't any fun :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im having severe NAT issues since we set a home network up and have a firewall. I will try UPnP too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

faceman wrote: »
    Im having severe NAT issues since we set a home network up and have a firewall. I will try UPnP too.

I think if you enable UPnP you should be ok but afaik you then should not have any ports forwrded to your XBOX.

Anyway, this guide help me out big time...
    http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=My%20NAT%20Setting%20is%20Strict/Moderate%20what%20can%20I%20do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

brianon wrote: »
    I think if you enable UPnP you should be ok but afaik you then should not have any ports forwrded to your XBOX.

Anyway, this guide help me out big time...
    http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=My%20NAT%20Setting%20is%20Strict/Moderate%20what%20can%20I%20do

Thanks, havent come across that before. Will have a look at it later! :)

Advertisement