Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to the internet

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks,

Hopefully you can help me out on my query.

My apartment in Ongar, D15, is pre wired by Broadworks for TV and internet. (I currently have TV - No internet).

I'm thinking of buying a laptop and because I dont have a connection point in the living room, I want to know if I get connected to the internet in a bedroom, could I buy a router which would allow me use a laptop anywhere in the apartment ? I dont want to be stuck in the bedroom.
    Any particular type of router and approx cost ?
    Is there a possibility the router might not pick up a signal ?

Broadworks hook me up to the net by connecting a modem to the pre wired connection point.

Any advice would be great.
    Hope thats enough info for you to go on, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Any router that a ISP send you will be fine. Just make sure youy pick a wireless router to allow you to use the laptop throughout the apartment. But remember to enable some type of security. WEP WPA etc etc so your neighbours dont leech your connection. Also, might be best to have this moved to the broadband forum ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

Advertisement