Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is F1 any good these days

• 06-08-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Used to watch it religiously for years back in the day, gave it up around the schumacher/hakkinen time cause it had got too boring, just a parade, no overtaking, whats the story now is it any better

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Much better now in my opinion. My lost interest has been regained. It seems driver skill is coming to the fore again and races are exciting. I like the new style qualifying too, makes it all a bit more exciting. Of course I was at the Melbourne GP this year, so that may be a big reason why I think it improved so drastically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sometimes, differs from race to race, depends on which car is suited to which track, how the fuel loads/qualifying works out, and which drivers are up for it and which aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Deiinitely more interesting ON FORUMS anyway with the disputes going on over Hamilton Vs Kimi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

After 2004 the racing is a lot better. Schumacher 5 years in a row crowned champion halfway the season, well before the end of the season anyway. The drivers field is much closer in laptimes. Some circuits are still a parade because overtaking isn't, or hardly possible. But i still enjoy watching F1, doing so since '90/'91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Only race ive seen this season was Monaco and that was a cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's definitely back on the right track. This season has been exciting and unpredictable so far. Even Hungary managed it! I stopped watching it as well, sort of got into it again two seasons ago then last year with Hamilton (as much as i've grown to hate him he kept me watching.) And this year i can't stand missing a race.

Plus slicks are coming back! About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Yep, it'd definitely getting back to it's best. I've seen more great races in the last two years than in the previous seven.

Plus Valencia street track and Singapore night race to come!! :)

It is watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Overall the field is much tighter too. There is a lot going on in midfield also which I like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Used to watch it religiously for years back in the day, gave it up around the schumacher/hakkinen time cause it had got too boring, just a parade, no overtaking, whats the story now is it any better

Ditto. Started watching MotoGP, WSB & BSB instead and I'm converted. Saw the Hungarian GP, the first one in years and was no caparison to Rossi & Stoner fighting it out at Luguna Seca or the WSB at Brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I think its better alright, but here are the problems I have

1) Tracks like Barcelona and Hungry should be cancelled immeditely as overtaking is IMPOSSIBLE. Harder than Monaco, unless there is rain

2) Teams should nominated their race fuel before final qualifing but qualify on low fuel, as then we could see which teammates are fastest over a single lap, without having to adjust qualifing times after the race to take fuel loads into account. Who is going to do that except TV commentators who need something to talk about.

3) Encourage more private teams. The large manufactures expect their drivers to behave the PR executivites.

4) Unlimited testing should be allowed on the Friday of each grand prix, and they should be allowed to use whatever engines, gearboxes, etc they want for it. This would give the fans attending better value for money and save the teams additional testing costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I think it has become much more competitive since Schumacher retired, there are 4 or 5 great drivers competing and this has made it very watchable(is this word?) for the last 2 seasons.
    Next season is also looking good with the return of slicks. We will see some serious racing then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Have a look on You-Tube at some of the races from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. Then you'll see how boring F1 has become today. The Prosts and the Sennas of this world were real drivers who won races on the back of their skill and pace. Indeed Alain Prost remarked recently that driving a current F1 car was on par with driving on a play station. The car does so much work that the skill of the driver is almost irrelevant.

I agree that MotoGP and even the BTCC is far more exciting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

I watched it for years without fail but latley is not the best really!!:( Everything is nearly done by computers these days and the driver is merely a passenger! (in my opinion) Whoever gets into the first corner first cleanly and gets away is nearly sure to win it!!

The teams are making all these improvements with downforce etc in windtunnels and testing but when it comes to simple overtaking are these improvements making any difference??

I still dont like this idea of qualifying especially q3..........I think it was better a coupelof years ago when all the cars where left out for the hour and left to do as many runs as possible! In q3 its really the the first 15 minutes of the race......same fuel load etc.

I personally think alot of improvements are needed to make it more interesting to watch again, to make drivers more determined to overtake and not just be happy with a 2nd or 3rd place because they get points and they dont want to damage their car.......like correct me if im wrong but whers the fun in that???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've only started watching it again this year. It really went downhill for a while but it is picking up.

Aren't they making more changes next year to aerodynamics?

They should put caps on the amount of spending the teams can do so the smaller teams can catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

I think if you look at this season and last season its obvious that F1 is getting better, I think Schumacher's retirement was the best thing that happened to the sport (no offense!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

matty55 wrote: »
    I think if you look at this season and last season its obvious that F1 is getting better, I think Schumacher's retirement was the best thing that happened to the sport (no offense!!!)
    There are more good drivers now aswell though. There isn't allot between the top ten drivers of the championship. Instead of one good driver we have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Nope still not exciting enough, most of the over taking happens in the pits.

• Next season i have my fingers crossed, changes to the rear wing mean cleaner air for drivers behind so more chances of over taking.
    • Slicks
    • Under braking they will charge a boost pack which can be used twice a lap, this will also make it more exciting.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Under braking they will charge a boost pack which can be used twice a lap,

Is this the KERS system ?

Advertisement