Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old daughter, my boyfriend and me are living together. My question is, is my boyfriend who is the main income earner entitled to apply for tax relief as a father figure? we are not married obviously.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Nope - not unless he adopts your daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

ah ok thanks anyway. was worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a joke but the tax system is very unforgiving towards co-habiting couples in this country. If you are unmarried parents you essentially get punished for living together in that you lose the only tax credit available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

There is no tax relief for being a parent, biological or adopted, married or co-habiting.

(unless one parent is not working, which you did not mention in your post).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

If there is no tax relief on being a parent, how come men/women paying maintenance are getting a tax relief?? im lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

One parent family tax credit, Is what you are talking about, I think..

Obviously you have to be a lone parent in order to qualify for this.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

The tax relief on spousal/child maintenance is quite complicated, but is only available to non cohabiting couples who have court ordered maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Double post

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

SarahMc wrote: »
    The tax relief on spousal/child maintenance is quite complicated, but is only available to non cohabiting couples who have court ordered maintenance.

Only spousal maintenance is tax deductible. Child maintenance is not. So actually the above is completely incorrect. Only seperated couples that are paying court ordered Spousal maintenance, are entitled to tax relief.

The single parent tax credit is available to any parent who is not cohabitating and the child is with them one night a year, regardless of maintenance!
    m'lady wrote:
    If there is no tax relief on being a parent, how come men/women paying maintenance are getting a tax relief?? im lost!

Incorrect. Spousal not child maintenance is tax deductible.
    nesf wrote:
    It's a joke but the tax system is very unforgiving towards co-habiting couples in this country. If you are unmarried parents you essentially get punished for living together in that you lose the only tax credit available to you.

Not really, you get the same tax credits as a married couple. If anything married couples are discriminated against compared to single parents as regards tax credits!

PS. Differs if one unmarried cohabitating couple is a SAHP.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Not really, you get the same tax credits as a married couple. If anything married couples are discriminated against compared to single parents as regards tax credits!

PS. Differs if one unmarried cohabitating couple is a SAHP.

I was talking about unmarried parents co-habiting where one of them is a stay at home parent. There is no way to share tax credits, like a married couple can in that situation. It is more advantageous tax wise for a couple who have a child to live apart than to live together.

nesf wrote: »
    I was talking about unmarried parents co-habiting where one of them is a stay at home parent. There is no way to share tax credits, like a married couple can in that situation.

Indeed, they also don't get the benefit of the increased 20% band.
    nesf wrote:
    It is more advantageous tax wise for a couple who have a child to live apart than to live together.

True, it's a mad system were the child is recognised tax wise if you are single or seperated but not while in a relationship, married or not.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Indeed, they also don't get the benefit of the increased 20% band.

Yes which is really tough if you're going to be a one income family for the start of the child's life like most people have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be some wriggle space. Check out secondary reliefs like health insurance and expenses. AFAIK, the relief on these goes to the person who pays the bill.

Advertisement