Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using your looks and charm to get free things.

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I think it's a scuzzy thing to do, which is why I found this ad so shocking. What do you ladies think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I just saw the ice cream.... hold on..

/me watches again

Yeah i agree a horrid thing to do but unforunately its the way of the world. The prettier ones go further most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That kids got talent ,the little girl is cute to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thats a pretty bad ad to be aimed at children. Young kids acting as adults is creepy!That boy kid is creepy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Nah , it's just a funny add for selling ice cream

Any man who falls for this **** deserves whatever he gets. Also any woman who tries it is laughable.

I was in Dicey Riley's when 2 stupid D4 girls tried to get myself and a friend to buy them glasses of red wine. I asked the barman for 2 glasses of blackcurrant in wine glasses and we walked off laughing. We'd seen them do it to 2 other guys from across the room 20 mins before. They both deserve to be unhappy with abusive husbands with lots of money imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its the way of the world, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It's a very sad way to be. I hate seeing women do it....and it never works on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

She wont be too charming or pretty if she keeps eating ice creams like that, I would say that is her full RDA of calories...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jules wrote: »
    I just saw the ice cream.... hold on..

/me watches again
    My sentiments.:)

Other than the icecream I just thought it was a stupid ad. If it was a grown woman getting a drink that way it would be cliched and silly, using a kid is supposed to make it cute. Didnt work for me, I just thought it was lame, without even getting to whether its inappropriate or not. Id say it appeals to the same demographic who enter their 4yo daughters in beauty pageants (a la little miss sunshine).

I buy my own drinks and icecream, so maybe Im just bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

To be fair to ye wimmenz there's not actually that many women around who try this sort of thing (at least in my social group anyway). Having said that one or two have tried to get free stuff out of me - I think they deliberately target the "average" looking guys because they think it'll work better on us. I have to say that the look of :eek: on their faces when they don't get things that easy is a joy to behold.

A while back a girl walked up to me in supermacs one night and "suggested" I buy her a burger; which i did. When I handed to her and said "That'll be 2.50* please," she was none too impressed. Had to go to her friend to get the money. In the end I couldn't take it off her cos I felt a sorry for making her feel bad (even though she probably does it most nights) but I made a mental note to beware next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yes that's it! Lets teach our children to get by on looks alone, exactly the message that needs to be sent out there. Although I suppose with the obesity problem in the States (and growing problem here in Europe) it's not that bad an ad. :D

BrynW wrote: »
    It's a very sad way to be. I hate seeing women do it....and it never works on me!

Its amazin how many still have the neck to try. I often get girls tryin to get me to buy them drinks...the only thing it buys them is a nice polite "Get lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

It'd be nice if kids got another year or two out of life before figuring out that lookin hawt gets you places and people are generally shallow sh1ts and men fall for it every...ok most times.

But this is the world we live in.

Next thing ya know, nappies will be printing logos on the bum.. 'bite me' and such.

Sigh :(

Meh!
    I've more respect for someone who uses charm to freeload, than someone who uses the emotional blackmail that is biological responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

I agree that trying to get someone to spend money on you is a bit silly alright.

But I have to admit that I use my charm to my advantage as Im sure anyone who can does. The most obvious example I can think of is if I need help with something in work and the only person who can help me is always really busy, well I would be sweet and nice to get a few moments of their time. And of course I would always give my time if they needed it.

Is that the same thing... although I wouldn't go looking for free drinks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

one of my friends get drinks bought for her every night she goes out.she has a great body and just kind of flirts and teases lads till they buy her a drink then she wanders off a while later.she has a boyfirend aswell.it drives me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

oh my god that ad is brill!! If you can get away with it.....why not!!!:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I would have considered this is the thing to do by 17/18 year old girls. maybe girls up too about 21 or 22 even. Anyways thats neither here nor there.Personally, I hate this kind of thing! If I wanna go out and have a good time, I make sure I have enough cash on me to get me through the night.

If I DONT have the cash, I DONT go out. I most certainly do not go on the hope that I can catch a few lads off their guard and get them to buy me drinks.

girls who do this are tastless, sleazy, disrespectful little so and so's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

one of my friends get drinks bought for her every night she goes out.she has a great body and just kind of flirts and teases lads till they buy her a drink then she wanders off a while later.she has a boyfirend aswell.it drives me mad

To be honest, the guys are the mugs for doing it.

It's a convenient form of idiot tax even if the person doing it isn't being nice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

jtbub15 wrote: »
    oh my god that ad is brill!! If you can get away with it.....why not!!!:D
    Sooooooooo many reasons, and none of them have to do with getting fat on icecream.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Sooooooooo many reasons, and none of them have to do with getting fat on icecream.

+1

only a cheap, tarty girl would justify doing this to a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Jules wrote: »
    its the way of the world. The prettier ones go further most of the time.

Up as far as the glass ceiling, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't really see a problem with using your looks/charm/orifices to obtain material goods or favours, and I have no disrespect for people who do so.

:mad::mad::mad:

I havent met your friend and I already dislike her! That said, the lads are worse. From her perspective there's always another sucker around the corner.

you mind me askin how old is your friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I don't really see anything wrong with using a bit of charm to get some help with something as a previous poster said. It's about being nice to the person in the hope that they'll be nice back to you.

But this looking for freebie stuff is bollocks. I've seen girls fluttering their eyelashes to skip queues and get free drinks out of lads and it drives me nuts. Grow the f*ck up, wait your turn and pay for your own bloody drinks. If someone really wants to buy me a drink or something, and they're doing it because they want to, I can accept that and appreciate the compliment.

I hate scavengers!! I hope their ugly personalities start to show through in their looks, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Getting back to the ad though, is the crappy part not that she's a kid using her looks to get stuff in an overly aware 40 year old hooker in a bar kinda way?

Very different to a 20 year old 'Im so hot, watch this, girls' kinda situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MLE wrote: »
    I agree that trying to get someone to spend money on you is a bit silly alright.

But I have to admit that I use my charm to my advantage as Im sure anyone who can does. The most obvious example I can think of is if I need help with something in work and the only person who can help me is always really busy, well I would be sweet and nice to get a few moments of their time. And of course I would always give my time if they needed it.

Is that the same thing... although I wouldn't go looking for free drinks or anything.

I think that's a bit different because you're prepared to reciprocate. For example, I've always been good friends with the people in the IT department in work, and it generally means that if I need something in a hurry the chances are they'll give me priority over someone else. The flip side is that if they need some testing or something done, I'll always make myself available to help them. nothing wrong with a bit of quid pro quo, it's the abuse by one side not giving something back is the problem.

I don't really see a problem with using your looks/charm/orifices to obtain material goods or favours, and I have no disrespect for people who do so.

I have to say that it dismays me to think that any woman who posts in this forum would have so little respect for themself, or other women, that they'd post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i now have a giant craving for a brownie & some icecream...

i have a friend who recently told me about how at the weekend she managed to flirt her way in somewhere for free. she was so proud of herself, because "all the girls" do it & shes never been able to do it before. by "all the girls" she means another group of friends shes met recently, d4 types.

ive known this girl years, & shes pretty & she knows it. shes actually a lovely girl & theres no harm in her whatsoever, shed be there in a second for you if you needed her, but its times when she says stuff like that i just despair of her. she was so happy she had managed to get herself in somewhere for free, like that proved her worthy of something. id rather pay than lower myself to that to be honest.

sooo.. prostitution then..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Zaph wrote: »
    I have to say that it dismays me to think that any woman who posts in this forum would have so little respect for themself, or other women, that they'd post that.

If you disagree with people whoring themselves out, then fine, but it'd be really great if you didn't assume that I've no self-respect or respect for other people purely because I think prostitution is ok.

Advertisement