Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using your looks and charm to get free things.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zaph wrote: »
    I think that's a bit different because you're prepared to reciprocate. For example, I've always been good friends with the people in the IT department in work, and it generally means that if I need something in a hurry the chances are they'll give me priority over someone else. The flip side is that if they need some testing or something done, I'll always make myself available to help them. nothing wrong with a bit of quid pro quo, it's the abuse by one side not giving something back is the problem.

I'd agree here, expecting/trying to get something due to how you look etc is not something I'd agree with.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you disagree with people whoring themselves out, then fine, but it'd be really great if you didn't assume that I've no self-respect or respect for other people purely because I think prostitution is ok.

Your original post makes no mention whatsoever of prostitution. If someone chooses to make a living that way then who am I to argue with their choice. However, if someone prostitutes themselves in a non-professional capacity, e.g. sleeping their way into a better job or so that a man will buy them nice things, then that to me is morally indefensible. They instantly lose my respect, as does anyone who thinks that this is ok. And on a much lower scale, I don't have a lot of time for freeloading women who think that if they bat their eyelashes at me it entitles them to a free drink or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This song popped into my head while reading this thread :)

''Some of them want to use you ,some of them want to be used by you ,some of them want to abuse you ,some of them want to be abused ''

Eurythmics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I can't imagine just walking up to someone and asking them to buy me a drink, or expecting someone to buy something for me. In a book store once, a guy behind me offered to buy me the books I was taking up to the register and I refused. I found it really creepy, tbh. He was a complete stranger.
    I have gotten out of a few speeding tickets by crying. But they weren't crocodile tears, they were real. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

definitely disagree with the ad on principle, though, i guess at least the mother looked more shocked than proud, which is one good thing, i guess. i do have a mate who, if she ends up meeting (kissing) a fella at a nightclub, will sorta expect him to buy the drinks. she'd never ask outright, but is always thrilled when it happens. i roll my eyes mostly, i love her to bits, but some things we'll just never agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Peared wrote: »
    Next thing ya know, nappies will be printing logos on the bum.. 'bite me' and such.

Sigh :(

Thankfully unless the company's marketing director is into scat I can't see that particular logo being printed.:eek:

Knew a girl in college who got loads of free stuff at (nerd) games conventions by this method, but then if there was anywhere it was bound to work a place where the gender odds are as biased as they are at those things would obviously be it.

Suppose it's a milder form of con-artistry really so not something that should be encouraged. Thankfully I don't think I've ever had a girl try this sort of thing with me, but then I tend to look a bit hostile and even without attempts at coaxing am usually generous enough if I don't think the person's a moocher anyway (which attempts at coaxing me into being generous will of course make me suspect you of being).
    e.g. the two street beggars I've given the most money to in the last few months are the old lad who just kneels there hands in front of him, overlapped and palms up and the girl who sits outside supermacs with her art. The lad never says a thing to ask for money, never causes any trouble, just stays there kneeling and moves on without a fuss if asked to move, have a lot of respect for him. The girl has talent IMO and it's a shame to see it going to waste as she can't afford a place to stay never mind classes to help her make the most of it.:(
    The lads who come up asking for money, half the time they even have slurred speech so I'll give them a little (like to try give them the benefit of the doubt [have had one or two repeat "I lost my bus fares" though, one idiot tried it on consecutive days!:mad:), but then you'll usually still get "aw, you couldn't spare another fiver could you, I only need €X?!" - there's gratitude for you....:rolleyes:

Your original post makes no mention whatsoever of prostitution. If someone chooses to make a living that way then who am I to argue with their choice. However, if someone prostitutes themselves in a non-professional capacity, e.g. sleeping their way into a better job or so that a man will buy them nice things, then that to me is morally indefensible. They instantly lose my respect, as does anyone who thinks that this is ok. And on a much lower scale, I don't have a lot of time for freeloading women who think that if they bat their eyelashes at me it entitles them to a free drink or whatever.
    I suppose when you break it down to its base level blagging (think that's the term for trying to flirt/charm your way to free things:confused:) isn't that different to prostitution/escourt services, only significant difference being that I'd imagine the prostitution/escourts have a more clear and defined pricing on the service - "pay x and get y", as opposed to "well if you pay x you might get y".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

BrynW wrote: »
    It's a very sad way to be. I hate seeing women do it....and it never works on me!

Then your doing it wrong! :pac:

As a dude i really don't mind this type of behaviour. If someone is stupid enough to get charmed then so be it.

Nothing to do with the fact that i have charmed myself into some pretty decent situations in the past.

Equal rights and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I think i have done it to an extent..like, if i am stuck at a junction, it will usually a guy that will let you out. (but i in turn let people out of junctions too if there is a long queue of traffic behind me)
    Once i was at a garage getting a part for my car..it was over €200..so i turned on the charm ( i was also wearing my work uniform which always helps with every situation i have been in wether i ask for it or not) and got it for cost price, i saved about €20 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭MissyKiki

I wish I was blonde!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm pretty sure Ive had things done and bought for me in the past because people think I am charming. If people want to buy me things/do things for me, that's fine. I don't expect it and they shouldn't expect anything else in return from me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Femmy wrote: »
    i was also wearing my work uniform which always helps with every situation i have been in wether i ask for it or not) .
    Which begs the question, what do you wear to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think the ad is great and a few years ago I would of been that kid sucker!

It seems pretty harmless to me.

Look, if you're good looking or have a charming smile things like this will happen all the time like it or not a lot of people treat people based on how they look.

If you're the cutey getting free stuff your not going to mind

if you look like the back of the bus with a puss on you you'll begrudge..

that's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

There's a gay guy that works in the pharmacy where I get my hormones in town that always gives me stuff if there's an offer, now I don't mean stock or anything, it'd be you know those promotions where if you spend so much on make-up you get a gift pack with loads of free samples? anytime there's something like that on I'll get the gift pack, I'm under no illusions that it's because he fancies me or anything (why would he I wouldn't be his type) but he's always real friendly with me :) I'm not slagging him or anything but he's very camp (my favorite gay type) and is bloody awesome for make up tips, I only go in once a month for my prescription but I'm usually there for about an hour chatting to him, a few times I've even walked out with a bag of brand new tester make up just because he thinks it'll suit me, he saves me a bloody fortune :D

The guys in the local shop have given me credit at times until I get paid but I do flirt with them at times, nothing seedy I'll just take the time to chat if I'm there and they just know me well now, there's also a guy in the local off licence that only charges me cost if I go in and a barman in the local bar that will serve me straight away no matter how many people are at the bar and if I go in with my sis and neice for dinner on a weekend won't charge me for anything my neice wants(Dinner/crisps/lemonade, she's only 3). Can't say I know exactly why they do it but it's not like I'd complain :D On the other hand I've never accepted a drink if some guy I didn't know bought it in a bar, I always buy my own for two reasons 1. I don't want to give them the wrong idea and a guy that buys you drink all night expects more than a pat on the back and an "I'll see you around sometime" and 2. I don't trust anyone not to spike me (massive generalisation I know but, for me, I prefer to be safe than sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

If someone is dumb/happy/generous enough to give people things for free just because they're cute/flirty/charming then isn't that their problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

That little girl won't be able to use her looks for much longer if she keeps eating those fudge sundaes. :D

I think men are stupid horn dogs and if they are that easy to manipulate then go ahead. Some women have brains in spades, some have charm and some have looks. Do what ya gotta do!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I think men are stupid horn dogs and if they are that easy to manipulate then go ahead.

I'd qualify that and say that some men are. There's a good proportion of us capable of thinking with our brains and not just our groins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'd qualify that and say that some men are. There's a good proportion of us capable of thinking with our brains and not just our groins.
    Exactly, which is why lots of women go for and are attracted to complete bastards

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I had an acquaintance who used to get roped in by this sh1t all the time. He was a nice enough guy but was a virgin until quite late (lost it to a prostitute in SE Asia in fact - but that's another story) and would go mad at even the faintest whiff of a possibility of getting laid. Girls used to fleece him for three or four drinks a night and then bugger off without even a peck on the cheek.

I used to feel pretty sorry for him, it's awfully bad form and I think it really humiliated him at times. It's generally done by the kind of girl who thinks all men are assholes anyway so who cares if you make them look stupid... (ie girls who are total tw@ts)

It's only happened to me personally once and she got absolutely nothing out of me. Just laughed in her face, told her she was neither pretty enough nor skinny enough to pull off that routine and walked away :D

I hope it happens again some time. I love screwing over people like her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Humourous thread, especially some of the lofty comments. Such ads will continue to appeal to primal needs, because they sell products. Attractive girls and young women showing a bit of skin in seductive poses on SUVs, trucks, and Harley's come to mind. Or partying in a pub with lads drinking Bud. If you've ever been a clothes horse, you know what is being sold... or why would "Walk the walk" and "Look the look" be so important to what you're wearing? LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Oryx wrote: »
    Which begs the question, what do you wear to work??

Lets just say..Promotional Work.

• Advertisement

Humourous thread, especially some of the lofty comments. Such ads will continue to appeal to primal needs, because they sell products. Attractive girls and young women showing a bit of skin in seductive poses on SUVs, trucks, and Harley's come to mind. Or partying in a pub with lads drinking Bud. If you've ever been a clothes horse, you know what is being sold... or why would "Walk the walk" and "Look the look" be so important to what you're wearing? LOL!

Link didn't work for you did it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Link didn't work for you did it?
    Some of the comments to this thread did...

Some of the comments to this thread did...

Not that I see.
    Your the only person to mention the use of adult women in a provocative manner ad's.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Not that I see.
    Your the only person to mention the use of adult women in a provocative manner ad's.
    Was it suggested by the spirit and intent of comments by posters (and I'm only citing those up to post #11)?
    Also any woman who tries it is laughable
    BrynW wrote:
    I hate seeing women do it
    oryzx wrote:
    If it was a grown woman getting a drink that way
    Drift wrote:
    To be fair to ye wimmenz there's not actually that many women around who try this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In this day and age, it's no longer necessary for women to use such tactics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

MissyKiki wrote: »
    I wish I was blonde!

Why?

Between my rather large group of male friends we would generally buy girls drinks if we are chatting them up. If we did a full tally I would think only about 5% of girls we chat up are blond. Most are Brunettes, the Red Hair (bright not dark). then Black hair.

There are a few blonds usually but as a general rule we don't.

I will buy a girl a drink if I am chatting to her for a while in a club but not straight away!!!

simu wrote: »
    In this day and age, it's no longer necessary for women to use such tactics tbh.
    Was it you a couple of years ago that was advocating the KerryGold approach to the improvement of female-male interaction, or was it someone else? For some reason I have this image in my mind of simu holding a bar of butter along with a charming smile...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My God!!!!

Dairy Queen is feckin awesome!

If i were that little girl, i would have done that to that little boy too. Except i would have got a strawberry cheesecake blizzard with pecan nuts. Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would do bad, bad things for that icecream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Was it you a couple of years ago that was advocating the KerryGold approach to the improvement of female-male interaction, or was it someone else? For some reason I have this image in my mind of simu holding a bar of butter along with a charming smile...

??? I don't recall but the use of Kerrygold as a romantic lubricant can hardly be compared to the subject of this thread.

Advertisement