Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using your looks and charm to get free things.

Options
13»

Comments

Whats the harm.. when it works...

I wouldnt go out of my way.. but if running out of money.. I have done it to get drinks when out...

Guys are very giving. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Alicat wrote: »
    But this looking for freebie stuff is bollocks. I've seen girls fluttering their eyelashes to skip queues and get free drinks out of lads and it drives me nuts. Grow the f*ck up, wait your turn.

God yeah. I was in the Outback bar in Dublin on Australia day, this girl starts trying to flirt with me in order that I give up my place in a queue for the bar to her, then throws a strop when I refuse and calls me a d!ckhead. Nice.
    Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I think men are stupid horn dogs and if they are that easy to manipulate then go ahead. Some women have brains in spades, some have charm and some have looks. Do what ya gotta do!

Are you for real? Men are stupid and gullible? It's okay to exploit people, because it's the law of the jungle out there? *Really*? Man, who f*cked you over?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

I've no problem chatting to a girl in a bar and buying her a drink. I've done it on many occassions, infact I usually offer if I'm getting on well with someone. Sometimes it leads somewhere, other times it doesn't... but generally I have a nice chat and a bit of a laugh.

If a girl walked away from me thinking "Score! I got a free drink out of him" then it's her I feel pity for, not myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've never gone out of my way to get someone else to buy me drinks. I've turned down such offers from randomers before - I find it slightly insulting really, I wouldn't want them to think they're gonna get anything out of it, and I'd also be nervous if my drink being spiked. Before, if I was with a guy in a bar I might let him buy me one or two, but that's it. I will let friends buy me a drink very occasionally, if it is my birthday for example, but otherwise if they buy me drinks it's always on the understanding that I'll get the next ones for us. I mean, I don't even like my boyfriend paying for stuff for me, we usually split the bill on meals unless it's a treat for one of us (again, birthdays etc)
    It must be really irritating for guys when girls try this kind of thing. It can be a nice gesture to buy a drink for someone, but it certainly shouldn't be expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

newestUser wrote: »
    Are you for real? Men are stupid and gullible? It's okay to exploit people, because it's the law of the jungle out there? *Really*? Man, who f*cked you over?

People choose the paths that grant them the greatest rewards for the least amount of effort. That's the law of nature.
    It's not nice or kind or fair but then again neither are people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I've never tried to get something free by flirting or fluttering my eyelashes.

However, when at the bar I do try a nice smile and few flutters in order to get served next :)

It's annoying then when you are ignored in the queue at the bar because you're female- once had to get OH to go up for me after waiting 10mins to get served. He came back instantly with drinks... Suppose it works that way for guys too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I'll buy a girl a drink for these reason and these reason ONLY:

If I'm going to the bar and dont want to leave her there alone. i.e. weve got chatting and her friends have left her with me, so if I went to the bar I'd be leaving her alone.

If I'm with her and we go to the bar together, then I get served first, I'll just order both drinks to speed things up.

If shes a good friend, then Id expect her to return the favour.

Thats it.

I will not buy her a drink if she asks me, ever. No matter how long were chatting...

I get lots of stuff free because of the my approach to people, not for my looks. I'm gregarious and stuff, used to work as an entertainer/presenter, and sometimes people just give me stuff... a crate of Westcoast cooler 1litre bottles was the best! Still its like I went looking for it or the person expected anything in retrun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a scuzzy thing to do, which is why I found this ad so shocking. What do you ladies think ?

I despise this ad, and it has received a bit of feminist backlash here in the states. If my daughter did that I'd wonder where I went wrong.

PillyPen wrote: »
    I despise this ad, and it has received a bit of feminist backlash here in the states. If my daughter did that I'd wonder where I went wrong.

I'm glad it has gotten the response it deserves. Not just a backlash but a backlash from feminists? There are fates worse than death...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jtbub15 wrote: »
    oh my god that ad is brill!! If you can get away with it.....why not!!!:D

Nope it's not cool at all. If any lady were to take that approach with me she'd be instantly ignored. How is it possible to have respect for someone like that. It's cheap tarty behaviour.

• Advertisement

I'm glad it has gotten the response it deserves. Not just a backlash but a backlash from feminists? There are fates worse than death...

Well, there hasn't been much of a backlash, just some ranting on major feminist blogs. No one listens to us over here anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

PillyPen wrote: »
    ....No one listens to us over here anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :mad:

And you'll find no one listens to women here either.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

At least you have feminist blogs raising issues over there.

And you'll find no one listens to women here either.

:P

What was that? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. :p
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    At least you have feminist blogs raising issues over there.

You're absolutely right about that. Feminism is a bit of an underground movement, but when you need a strong group of women (and some men) to help you with something, you can always find them. They're some of the best people I know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I can't imagine just walking up to someone and asking them to buy me a drink, or expecting someone to buy something for me. In a book store once, a guy behind me offered to buy me the books I was taking up to the register and I refused. I found it really creepy, tbh. He was a complete stranger.
    I have gotten out of a few speeding tickets by crying. But they weren't crocodile tears, they were real. :o

Ya me too. Does that count? :D

Ya, guys sometimes buy me drinks or offer and I always turn them down cos I think that they expect something if they do that. It's really annoying when a guy just assumes he knows what you're drinking and buys you a drink without asking. I just find it so awkward, and ya, you'd be wondering about spiking too.

Lol at the guy who bought the two girls wine glasses of blackcurrant and water :D

Advertisement