Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ldc's, 2 Rode NT-1a's vs 1 AT 4040

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Right i've been mulling over what Large diaphragm condenser to buy for a few months now, it'll still be a while before I can actually get one too. It'll be my first although I've used some nice ones in college- U87, Rode K2, Rode Tube Classic II.

- I'll be using them for lots of stuff but mainly Vocals, drums and acoustic instruments. The style's of vocal i record will range from guttural/screaming metal vocals to quiet male/female singing so I'm looking for something a little versatile!
    I'd it narrowed to a rode nt 1a or an At 4040. I noticed I can get 2 of the rode's in a matched set for around the same as the Audiotechnica mic. It'd be great to have 2 for stereo room on the drums and for acoustic stuff too. plus I record live a bit and it'd be great for this too.

I've read as many reviews I can find of the both- alot of them compare the At to the Rode pretty closely. Which would you go for? I can't afford a matched set of the At's yet- the mic alone is pushing the edge of my price bracket as I plan on getting a set of rode Nt-5's aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Well if you've got the Rodes for stereo recording, then the AT4040 might be the way to go.

Obviously, it'd be best to try both and make a judgement based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

I was looking for something similar a while back and decided to go for the SE Electronics Z3300A.

Check out the reviews.

http://www.seelectronics.com/Z3300a.html

The cheapest I found it was from Dawsons over in England. It worked out at around 265 Sterling including postage. For the price you might even be able to afford a pair. I read that they are already closely matched so it is just a matter of putting two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I was looking for something similar a while back and decided to go for the SE Electronics Z3300A.

Check out the reviews.

http://www.seelectronics.com/Z3300a.html

The cheapest I found it was from Dawsons over in England. It worked out at around 265 Sterling including postage. For the price you might even be able to afford a pair. I read that they are already closely matched so it is just a matter of putting two together.

That's very expensive ....;)

They're fine mics, though. All the sE stuff, after a few stinkers, are pretty good.

I know our own StudioRat uses a pair of 2200s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

It is a very useful mic. On a number of occasions I have chosen it over some other mics that cost considerably more. If I had a choice between the SE and an AKG 414 as part of a limited collection of mics, I would go for the SE.

Looking at the frequency response chart there is boosting heading towards and at the top end of the range but it is generally fairly flat. I have found that if you have a good sound at the source it does a pretty good job of capturing that fairly predictably with just a hint of top end sparkle. The bass is also nicely preserved.

The choice of patterns and the -10db cut make it particularly useful.

And the price point it is more than attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I have chosen it over some other mics that cost considerably more. If I had a choice between the SE and an AKG 414 as part of a limited collection of mics, I would go for the SE.

Cool!

• Advertisement
Advertisement