Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raring to Go!!!

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I know ye must have seen 50 posts like this from beginners but hoping ye'll take the time to help me get started! Basically I've had it in my head to take up surfing for a long time, used do a bit of body boarding in the states but nothing major!

Well last night was the final straw after watching some programme on RTE about surfing in Ireland back through the years and I made the decision that I'm gonna start, Am I mad to start when the summer is over or should I just jump in?

I would be about an hour and a half from Lahinch/Doolin/Kerry area, would anyone know what the best spot to learn in would be?

Dont know if i'd have any friends starting with me but doesn't bother me if I've to go on my own!
    Thanks,
    TH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No the water will still be reasonably warm for September and October so its a good time to start

Not sure about best places to start, there is certainly a good surf school in Lahinch

Best of luck anyway, post up any questions you have as you progress

As an aside, anyone else see that programme? Best thing I've seen on RTE in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Missed the programme on RTE just saw the last few minutes was gutted.
    Hope they'll show it again!
    Went to the program website and they're selling the DVD for 35 euro, wich is a bit steep in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

so tophurler, did you take the plunge? how was it etc?
    thinking of doing the same meself, i've been talking about it long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

longshanks, i havent taken the plunge yet, i came up with a plan of attack though! I'm heading to the states on a holiday in september for few weeks, and came upon a website offering surf lessons on venice beach, I think i'll get a few lessons there during my stay and see how I get on. water and weather might be a bit better for my first day out!
    Whats stopping you from jumping in?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

good stuff! i remember my first surf was on a stephens day in a 4 year old aldi wetsuit. Quickest session ever but I had so much fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

its just lazines on my part really (that, and the spare few hundred yoyo's to buy the gear). i did a days lessons in inchadonney a couple of years back and was standing on the board fairly quickly. since then i've always been telling meself i'll get the gear (if i had the gear i'd make more of an effort to get out regular) but something always comes up and the idea goes on the back burner for a while. which is a bit stupid cos tramore is a 15 min drive away, and there are plenty other decent beaches here in waterford.
    good luck in the states by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

Which program is it you're talking about?
    I think you can see a load of the RTE shows (that the have the rights for anyways) on the RTE website.
    This (http://www.rte.ie/tv/onethingtodobeforeyoudie/ep5.html) was supposed to be pretty good...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

thanks guys, i'll report back after I come back from there with my experiences! I'm really looking forward to getting a lesson cos I think once I start there'll be no keeping me out of the water!!! let us know if you start longshanks!

Advertisement