Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your take on this?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

Alcor are a company that cryogenically freeze people in the hopes that future technology will be able to unfreeze them and they can then live in the future. Its $150,000+ for a full body freeze and $80,000+ for a head freeze (!). You're frozen after you legally die but are still biological living (theres a subtle difference). Some people do it because they are dying of incurable disease and hope the cure will be invented in the future and other people do it because they're dead, so why not :confused:

Would you do it?
    Why/Why not?

p.s. Heres a cool quote from the faq:
    By the late 21st century, aging itself will be a treatable, reversible condition as medicine attains full control of the human body at the molecular level.
    F00king hell! - alcor.org

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill have two please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pffft. I managed this years ago with my dog.

Not a lot of room left in the freezer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I think that's great. I've always said i'd like to be frozen when I die. Just for the 'laugh'.:pac::pac:

Beats being burned or shoved in a coffin to rot, that's for damn sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

What would happen if the company went bankrupt?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Free ice cream and im sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Naos wrote: »
    What would happen if the company went bankrupt?

Their assets would be frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

javaboy wrote: »

Hehe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

One of the few LOLs I have, kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Dying without living, not living without dying.

It sounds horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yore Ma needs a cure for ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Didn't we learn anything from Forever Young??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

LOL, very witty. Kudos sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

The thing i never got about this:
    I imagine by the time you die your body is pretty well fcuked. Even if what you are dying from becomes curable in the future it might only be curable in the early stages.
    So you'd be better off getting frozen as soon as you get diagnosed right?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Magpie! wrote: »
    I imagine by the time you die your body is pretty well fcuked. Even if what you are dying from becomes curable in the future it might only be curable in the early stages.

But at that stage you'd have to frozen to death, meaning the company would be murdering (or at the least assisting suicide) in the eyes of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

classic..lol

Magpie! wrote: »

Interesting point. I guess it depends what it is you're dying from. I reckon the thinking is that in the future we'll be able to repair/replace any body part except the brain. So if you're dying from say lung cancer and get frozen just before biological death, they might be able to save you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Would 150,000 give a lifetime freezing cover or do you need to pay every time you contract a life threatening illness?

Also when most people overcome a major illness they are never the same afterwards and in most cases only live a few years so would it really be worth?

Would 150,000 give a lifetime freezing cover or do you need to pay every time you contract a life threatening illness?

Well you should be thinking about sticking a lump sum in a long term deposit account anyway before you go in. If cartoons have taught us anything it's that your bank balance will have risen dramatically over the years. So you can easily pay off any further freezing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Well you should be thinking about sticking a lump sum in a long term deposit account anyway before you go in. If cartoons have taught us anything it's that your bank balance will have risen dramatically over the years. So you can easily pay off any further freezing costs.

You're on a roll. ;)

• Advertisement

Also when most people overcome a major illness they are never the same afterwards and in most cases only live a few years so would it really be worth?
    Well you have to be legally dead for them to do it, I think that basically means your organs stop functioning but your brain is still living. They provide an artifical means of keeping your brain alive and then when the technology comes along to cure your disease and unfreeze you safely they do just that. So if you don't do it you're dead but if you do you have a chance of a few extra years of living in the future, hell they even claim they can cure ageing!

That begs the question though, what do you do when they unfreeze you? Go back to college to get a degree in whatever isn't being done by robots? All your assets will be presumably gone (you are legally dead), you won't have a job or any relevant skills, no friends and family etc. You basically just appeared x hundred years in the future.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sophie2

:eek: My problem with that is what about the person's soul? Its gone!:confused:
    Personally not for me.Seen a creepy film and when he was brought back he was'nt very grateful!

sophie2 wrote: »
    :eek: My problem with that is what about the person's soul? Its gone!:confused:
    Your assuming souls are real though, and if they are at what stage do they leave you? Surely your brain can't run without the 'soul' but in these circumstances the brain is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Isn't Walt Disney frozen ?

Namesco wrote: »
    Isn't Walt Disney frozen ?
    There was a rumour that his head was frozen but no, I believe it is just a rumour.

After a quick google I can confirm it is a myth. He is indeed buried in the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

This may be of interest, the first human ever frozen cryogenically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bedford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would most definitely do it, wake me up when Star Trek becomes reality please!

What kind of payment plans do they have?

I would most definitely do it, wake me up when Star Trek becomes reality please!

Keep your iPod somewhere safe for when you come out. If I remember my Star Trek correctly around 2160, some Earth government officials went around destroying all evidence of music belonging to any genre besides classical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sophie2

Well I believe that your soul leaves the body with your last breath! So I'm going unfrozen,thing is not looking forward to the worms !

• Advertisement

What kind of payment plans do they have?
    Lump sum up front or they can rent your body out to sex-fiends over the years to pay your bill off(what do you care? You're dead).

Advertisement